Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2018, 08:47 AM

2,009 posts, read 1,207,993 times

Advertisements

Congratulations! Every day is a vacation "start a blog" why??? people are so annoying....you don't HAVE to DO anything....nor SHOULD you do this or that....let it unfold like a good book.....you've entered the 4th dimension!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2018, 08:48 AM

18,703 posts, read 33,366,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
... The second reason to create a blog rather than multiple threads is so that all your fans can find and read your musings all in one place rather than searching through multiple threads to read your story. It would be easier for you and easier for them if everything was in one convenient location.
My "fans"!

Could the mod just merge my multiple threads and give it a new name and I could post on that thread about my own experiences and, can people respond on that thread? Is that different from a blog? I want to see people's responses and experiences! Should I start a thread and call it BDL's "blog"?

Old 02-04-2018, 09:19 AM

1,153 posts, read 1,049,061 times
Glad to see that your retirement has gone smoothly and that you're more than ready for your next phase(s) in life. Congrats on your 12,000th post as well.

I say, forget the blog idea. Go for a hike and look at buying a kayak or something in preparation for springtime.

Old 02-04-2018, 09:26 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,247,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyLackland View Post
Start a blog. It is the right thing to do in this case.
A word to the wise. Not everyone [in real life] wants to hear that you and I are retired. Yours and my joy is not everyone's good news. Especially those our age working two jobs. Whether true or not, a number of working people see this as bragging. Gauge your audience. I have been retired a month now and I picked up on this quickly.
Now if someone is asking...that is another thing.
Start a blog.
Enjoy your retirement.
That's a good point. Those who don't want to be jobless but are also might not feel the same. You might be glorifying not working which to them feels like your throwing this failure in their face, especially when one's sense of worth is questioned.

I personally can't imagine working two jobs. Maybe its leftovers (as in I get tired really easily) from illness, and I wouldn't have the energy. I don't have to get used to getting tired easy. It's been that way for years. Autoimmune conditions suck. I have this idea of what I'd like to do but know its not going to work that way. I feel better now that I'm listening to my body and when it says quit and rest, then REST.

Somehow being officially 'retired' even thought I have been for a few years unofficially, I feel different and have given myself permission to rest enough and not fight that when I push it its for a really great reason as I'm going to be exhausted. There are times I get huge rushes of energy, but its for things I really want to do, regardless of how I'll feel after the weekend. I'm a couch potato for a few days come Monday but if the time was really good it was worth it.

A lot of people in retirement age have had to face this but for some of us it started back years before when we lost the good health prize. At least we know when the flag is flashed its time to back off and lay low and REST.

My dream is to go to a science fiction con and wear the black nightbird outfit and sleep late days and stay up all night since its the best part. Anyone know how you get sitters for cats and the house without them paying themselves well?

Old 02-04-2018, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
My dream is to go to a science fiction con and wear the black nightbird outfit and sleep late days and stay up all night since its the best part. Anyone know how you get sitters for cats and the house without them paying themselves well?
Marry someone!
Ah, that's another set of issues.

I avoid feeling like I'm throwing my retirement in anyone's face when I say, "All you have to do is keep going to work and get old, like me." I think I apparently look a lot younger than almost-65, so that's what I say. Hey, no smoking, sun, makeup or kids. Keeps your skin good.

If I talk to my (former) coworkers, it's different, because I know they are in the pension plan, so we might have an educational talk. People know remarkably little about it. But then, I still tell them they can retire any time they can afford to, and affording it is totally subjective. Which it is.

Old 02-04-2018, 09:46 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,862,536 times
I wandered up to your new home the other day. Crisp clean mountain air (no snow though) and everyone, as always, friendly. I envy you, I really do.

Old 02-04-2018, 09:48 AM

14,928 posts, read 12,126,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Are my posts too long/dull? Anyway, how does one start a blog, and why?
No, they're very interesting, and I enjoy reading them. You write well, descriptively, and should you decide you'll continue to share your retirement experiences on a blog ( or otherwise here on CD), it'd be an asset to the online community. Unfortunately I've no clue as to how to start a blog, but I am sure others do.

And my heartiest congratulations to you on your well earned retirement! I guess this might be trite, but it puts me in mind of the old saying about how "Today is the first day of the rest of your life." As well as the other phrase I've heard and thought of often, about retirement being "the dessert of your life.".

You're well on your way.

Old 02-04-2018, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
I wandered up to your new home the other day. Crisp clean mountain air (no snow though) and everyone, as always, friendly. I envy you, I really do.
You'll be wandering up to say hello, I hope. Leaving Mass. on April 18 and will be happy to see a friendly face or two after 2200 miles on the road.

Old 02-04-2018, 10:07 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,862,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
You'll be wandering up to say hello, I hope. Leaving Mass. on April 18 and will be happy to see a friendly face or two after 2200 miles on the road.
Of course!

Old 02-04-2018, 10:14 AM

2,159 posts, read 1,662,783 times
please keep writing here
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement