U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2018, 10:32 AM

14,547 posts, read 17,537,530 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Marry someone!
Ah, that's another set of issues.

I avoid feeling like I'm throwing my retirement in anyone's face when I say, "All you have to do is keep going to work and get old, like me." I think I apparently look a lot younger than almost-65, so that's what I say. Hey, no smoking, sun, makeup or kids. Keeps your skin good.

If I talk to my (former) coworkers, it's different, because I know they are in the pension plan, so we might have an educational talk. People know remarkably little about it. But then, I still tell them they can retire any time they can afford to, and affording it is totally subjective. Which it is.
Eeeks. Been there, done that. The last few cons I did attend myself, and he grumbled about watching our son. I still find it interesting that the one I didn't marry but lived with for ten years is still a good friend, and we talk all the time, and he keeps me updated on his Mom since he knows I worry about her too. We are wonderful friends. We care deeply but omg, we don't seem to be able to not rub sticks together and start word fires with too much togetherness.

What I need is someone who can be trusted not to let out the cats, who are indoor cats, and the dogs will let in the door. Who says I don't have kids in the family?

I get that assumption that I'm younger all the time. You CAN'T be 65. Geesh, I thought you were in the fifties. I just smile. Long ago I discovered with my medical situation that sun was very very very bad for me and quit trying to get a suntan. I use good quality moisturizer. I don't get anyone thinking I'm in my twenties anymore, but nobody thinks I'm as ancient as I am. And I don't tell them they are wrong either. So there.

What I need is someone I can trust to feed and manage the critters, and trust enough that as the critters will know them as friendly and okay to be there, be friendly and okay to be there. I've not found anyone who qualifies. I'd really like to get all dressed up in the Nightbird outfit and go play with my friends. But fandom is still there and I will find a way to reconnect....

Afterall, it IS family too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2018, 11:15 AM

4,477 posts, read 4,739,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
I agree with brava and yellowsnow, and to answer your question as to why, the answer is twofold. First would be because that is exactly what you're doing. You've been blogging about your transition to retirement and now blogging about how you're experiencing retirement. The second reason to create a blog rather than multiple threads is so that all your fans can find and read your musings all in one place rather than searching through multiple threads to read your story. It would be easier for you and easier for them if everything was in one convenient location.

Well said, Thank you.

Old 02-04-2018, 11:20 AM

4,477 posts, read 4,739,984 times
Quote:
My "fans"!

Could the mod just merge my multiple threads and give it a new name and I could post on that thread about my own experiences and, can people respond on that thread? Is that different from a blog? I want to see people's responses and experiences! Should I start a thread and call it BDL's "blog"?

Great idea to merge but maybe that is something you could do. Ask a mod, people can respond, and you will still be able to read their experiences while continuing feeling/getting what you need from the connection. It all seems to bolster you while being constructive. Maybe it could be done by you with establishing the blog and maybe a copy/paste sort of thing for all the other threads you've started. Blogs are separate than threads and those interested in what you have to report would know where to find it.

Old 02-04-2018, 01:06 PM

1,933 posts, read 347,255 times
Quote:
Boy,do I get that even after one week as of 0716 Sunday morning. I used to feel like I had to conserve whatever energy I could muster for working the night shift. Probably even true for people who retire "early," but I'm almost 65 and concerned about energy. In the past, I was medically checked for all sorts of things, had mono twice (once at 49!), took supplements, always wondering why I felt so tired. Work, and shift work.

I did join the health club pool (again) but will now have to wait two weeks for my new tattoo to settle and heal before I can swim. I didn't want to get it while working due to the conditions of my job but didn't realize the tattoo would have its own conditions. I figured a few days. Oh, well, no energy to spare yet.
Today I slept so long that I decided not to get dressed, ordered a pizza delivered, ate two pieces and had a carb crash and went back to bed. PBS tonight, still a novelty for an evening awake.

The dogs are retired, two are 13 now. They sleep most of the time, with or without me.
Congrats, brightdoglover! Your first week of retirement sounds wonderful. I'm a year and a half behind you and I'm so looking forward to it!!!

Old 02-04-2018, 02:27 PM

5,165 posts, read 8,689,130 times
Smile Same here; keep posting

Quote:
Originally Posted by movinon View Post
i love your posts and they're not too long or dull to me. I'm inspired by your adventure. If you do start a blog, i'll be right there!
+1

Old 02-04-2018, 03:38 PM

2,369 posts, read 7,760,109 times
BDL, keep on posting however it works best for you. I agree with others, you have a very readable writing style.

An earlier post a few pages back asked me about why I left Orange County after retirement - don't want to hijack this thread, but OC is simply too expensive. Over $2K per month for a 1 BR apartment is too much for rent on a retirement budget. The $600 per month I pay in Tucson is easy on the retirement budget. Yes, climate in OC is near perfect year round, but another issue with living there is you are almost trapped. It is difficult to take trips out of the area because the traffic is so terrible on most main highways in any direction at any time.

Old 02-04-2018, 04:01 PM

13,314 posts, read 25,550,246 times
[quote=recycled;50922601]BDL, keep on posting however it works best for you. I agree with others, you have a very readable writing style.

Thank you, that's very kind. I want to keep posting and will not start new threads about my same subject, that is, my retirement. I'll ask the mod if there's a way to change the title from "One Week..."

I can certainly understand leaving OC because of expense and certainly traffic. Traffic is one reason eastern MA is so unappealing to me. It's like planning a military landing to try and meet someone for dinner north of me during the week (where people tend to live). Going in near town, not even TO the city, another full one hour drive to go 24 miles. Just too many people on the road if you must consider "traffic" for every move you make.

Old 02-04-2018, 04:03 PM

443 posts, read 281,031 times
I’m a fan! I’ve loved reading your posts.

Old 02-04-2018, 05:13 PM

13,314 posts, read 25,550,246 times
I've messaged mod Volosong and asked how to change the title of this thread to something that doesn't specify a timeline and I'd be happy to post here and see other people's answers and posts under the new title. Of course he might well be watching the Big Game with the rest of America and I will wait for an answer about how to change the title.

Old 02-04-2018, 06:29 PM

4,621 posts, read 4,460,757 times
What game? The All Blacks don't play again until the beginning of June. Just got back from Higgen's Point hoping to see some Bald Eagles catching dinner out of the lake. (No luck this time. Too windy.)

Anyway, per your request, thread name changed to "BDL's Retirement Adventures, an ongoing thread". Let me know if that wording is not acceptable.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement