Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2018, 10:29 AM

1 posts, read 1,013 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are moving from Alabama to retire closer to family. I am not excited about having to sell our home but would love to be closer to our grandchildren. We are looking for a high rise in a nice, safe and homey neighborhood. Does this exist?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2018, 10:49 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,602,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence4 View Post
My husband and I are moving from Alabama to retire closer to family. I am not excited about having to sell our home but would love to be closer to our grandchildren. We are looking for a high rise in a nice, safe and homey neighborhood. Does this exist?
No. Large apartment buildings and "safe and homey" neighborhoods are mutually exclusive.

Old 03-14-2018, 11:13 AM

6,632 posts, read 4,302,964 times
Safe and metro Atlanta, no such thing.

Old 03-14-2018, 11:26 AM

3,262 posts, read 5,001,986 times
I'd suggest you move this thread to the Atlanta subforum, where you might hear from people who know something about the Atlanta area.

Old 03-14-2018, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WellShoneMoon View Post
I'd suggest you move this thread to the Atlanta subforum, where you might hear from people who know something about the Atlanta area.
Perhaps that's a good idea, but some here know a great deal about Atlanta; some of us have even lived there.

Old 03-14-2018, 12:54 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,078,859 times
Quote:
Selling your place to "chase" your kids is nuts. Don't do it.

That said, over 30 years ago, I lived in the Howell House apartments, for a college kid it was a good deal. But, yeah, you want to be careful who you get in the elevator with. And you want to be careful walking around that neighborhood. Unless you are rich, downtown Atlanta is not a great retirement location.

Old 03-14-2018, 08:58 PM

1,569 posts, read 3,288,784 times
Definitely post on the ATL forum. Atlanta has several “downtown” areas other than true downtown — Midtown, Perimeter, Atlantic Station, etc. I lived in Birmingham for many many years and always considered a move to Atlanta (that’s where I would have needed to go to promote in my then-profession). I decided that I loved spending a weekend in ATL, but didn’t think it would be for me full-time because of the traffic and the sprawl and the cost of living in the areas where I would want to live. You may want to consider renting an Air BNB for 30-60 days in your target area and really “live” like you would be living there. Depending on where you are in AL, it’s only a couple of hours to ATL — weigh the costs and benefits of trading everything else just to get closer to kiddos and grands that may move away at some point. You need to love Atlanta for Atlanta — not just because family is there.

Old 03-14-2018, 09:01 PM

14 posts, read 11,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
Safe and metro Atlanta, no such thing.
Not sure if this is sarcasm or not [mod cut - personal attack]. Metro Atlanta is huge. There are plenty of safe areas.

Not entirely sure why the OP wants to live in a high rise, but there are plenty of the higher-end high rises intown, if that's your thing, that are as safe as Fort Knox.

Last edited by VTsnowbird; 03-15-2018 at 07:06 AM..

Old 03-14-2018, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill1555 View Post
Not sure if this is sarcasm or not. [mod cut - personal attack] Metro Atlanta is huge. There are plenty of safe areas.

Not entirely sure why the OP wants to live in a high rise, but there are plenty of the higher-end high rises intown, if that's your thing, that are as safe as Fort Knox.
I stand by what I said.

Last edited by VTsnowbird; 03-15-2018 at 07:06 AM..

Old 03-15-2018, 07:08 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,233,839 times
Quote:
We have kids/grandkids in ATL. Visit all the time. Atlanta is a great city, full of friendly people. Traffic is a *****, but other than that, we enjoy our visits.

There are certainly places like what you want in ATL, I would post in the Atlanta forum. You will get dozens of responses. Too broad a target in this forum.

Now the lecture: Before you buy a place, if you are determined to move there, rent first. Find an apt or condo and get a 6 month or one year lease. Make sure you like ATL, make sure you like the area, make sure you really want to be near your offspring, make sure they want to be near you.

Lots of things to make sure of. And I would do that before committing to a purchase.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement