U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2018, 03:23 PM

5,943 posts, read 5,300,762 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
You know a lack of water and heat are problems there? Phoenix is a main northbound drug route which brings more problems than you want to know about. Many will leave after their fist summer as you can't go outside during the day. Check out your builders and get hydrologist reports with care as land fraud is common. Often the monsoon rain can't be absorbed by the dry desert ground so the water floods homes and streets. I speak from experience.

I hope you consider everything!
I don't think you are speaking from experience since there is no lack of water except for news stories from California. Of course it is hot but since our population keeps climbing it must not be that bad. I go outside everyday in the summer. Sometimes the monsoons do cause minor flooding but most places are built for proper runoff. Since the OP is checking out 55+ communities I don't think he will need a hydrologist report or have to worry about land fraud.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2018, 03:29 PM

5,426 posts, read 3,448,244 times
Also be aware that:

Phoenix ranked among most polluted cities in the nation

from the article:

"city’s ozone levels put residents at risk for serious health problems, such as premature death, asthma attacks, and cardiovascular harm."

"Particle pollution levels can be lethal, lodging deep in the lungs and triggering asthma attacks, heart attacks or even strokes, the release said."

Old 02-03-2018, 03:41 PM

94 posts, read 80,846 times
Great review. My wife and I have looked at many as well and Pebblecreek was our favorite as well. 5 years away.

Old 02-03-2018, 04:57 PM

1,589 posts, read 817,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
You know a lack of water and heat are problems there? . . .

I hope you consider everything!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Go in August and report back.
I would say, go in March, and stay through October, THEN report back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
I don't think you are speaking from experience since there is no lack of water except for news stories from California. Of course it is hot but since our population keeps climbing it must not be that bad. I go outside everyday in the summer. . . .
Just FYI, here's my credentials: I lived in PHX for, oh, 7-8 years. And, yup, I used to go outside in the summer. Matter of fact, I was a competitive cyclist back then, so I spent hours out in the day.

And I grew to hate it. Yup. Hate it. Oh, sure, come January, it's nice outside. Not freezing, some days you can sit by the pool and get some rays. But, come March, and you won't see a nighttime temp cooler than 80. Not for months. You essentially have to live in the AC. Don't mind living with that? No problem for you!

Water problems? YES they are there. But living in the city, you won't ever know. Well, maybe they'll give you water restrictions some days in the summer. But there is an institutional blindness to the problems that creating a massive oasis in the desert creates. If you are from CA (and I've lived there too), you probably know some of the history there about how we have changed the land and all. Phoenix is much much worse that way. Thing is, your average Joe living in the city isn't face to face with the problem unless they choose to be.

Me? I can't see why people continue to move there. I would never choose to go back. I don't like having to live with AC just to be able to sleep.

Old 02-03-2018, 07:00 PM

5,697 posts, read 4,418,525 times
We looked there about 18 months ago. Pretty much the same reactions. We wound up in Sun City Anthem — Las Vegas area. It was important to us to be close to city to take advantage of local offerings. Felt most of the 55+ Phoenix area communities were too far from the city.

Old 02-03-2018, 07:06 PM

4,070 posts, read 1,556,481 times
Moved to a gated community in Sun City West in '17. Was here for July/August heat and yes the AC runs all the time but then it ran all the time those months when I lived in Ohio and when I lived in Florida. The weather now is ideal.

I love it here!

Old 02-03-2018, 07:12 PM

7,252 posts, read 4,136,323 times
We also checked out the Phoenix area, but found it to be way too crowded. We wound up in Green Valley, about 25 miles south of Tucson. Better weather and great neighbors. No crime problems at all. It's also a little cooler in the summer than the Phoenix area. We did move back to Alaska after one summer, but we kept our Arizona house as a winter getaway. Winters are great in Green Valley!

Old 02-04-2018, 05:11 AM

4,837 posts, read 4,952,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Go in August and report back.
^^^Exactly.

I grew up in Phoenix. When my kids were small, we'd go from Colorado to grandma's house in Phoenix for Christmas. They always wondered why we left. I told them to visit Phoenix in August for 2 weeks and they would understand.

Phoenix is now hotter than it was when I lived there Information concerning 100 degree and hotter temperatures for Phoenix, Arizona

Knowing that, I'd still consider moving back but from my point of view, I'd just be trading 3 too cold months here for about 4 too hot months there.

Old 02-04-2018, 05:20 AM

4,837 posts, read 4,952,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
We also checked out the Phoenix area, but found it to be way too crowded. We wound up in Green Valley, about 25 miles south of Tucson. Better weather and great neighbors. No crime problems at all. It's also a little cooler in the summer than the Phoenix area. We did move back to Alaska after one summer, but we kept our Arizona house as a winter getaway. Winters are great in Green Valley!
Green Valley may also be a good choice. There is a guy from there who runs a youtube channel. If you view his videos you can see what it looks like: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8U...8eKn9NSrCyA5zw

I'd also take a look at Oro Valley north of Tucson. The Catalina mountains and Sonora desert provide great scenery and Tucson has the U of A, (my alma mater) a great University.

Both are at higher elevations than Phoenix, have a bit milder weather and much better air quality.

Old 02-04-2018, 08:18 AM

6,253 posts, read 4,728,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post

Knowing that, I'd still consider moving back but from my point of view, I'd just be trading 3 too cold months here for about 4 too hot months there.
I lived in Mesa for many years and I consider that 4 month window to be a gross exaggeration. The winter weather was great. I also enjoyed Spring and early Summer. June was my favorite month. Sure day time temps often went over 100 but the humidity was low and it felt very reasonable in the shade. Golf, bike ridding or other activities are still enjoyable but most of us postponed them to either early in the morning or later in the day. Now I do agree starting about the 4th of July, things changed. The monsoons arrived with higher temperatures and higher humidity. July and August were the months for indoor activities or for trips to the mountains. By mid to late September, temps dropped back to something reasonable. I would give it 2 1/2 months of being too hot, certainly not 4. Even then hot is a lot better than bitter cold, sleet, snow and treacherous driving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement