U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2018, 12:56 PM

1,838 posts, read 795,888 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
Maybe you can answer a question for me since I can't seem to find any answer in all the reading I've done. Does my ex have to be at FRA for me to collect anything on HIS benefits? Reason I ask is because my ex was way younger than me and I think his FRA is probably 65-70. Well, he's only 59 and will be 60 this year. A VERY good reason to not marry someone so much younger!! He has always made way more than I did/do so is probably going to have a good sum available when the time comes. Any answers/suggestions??
It may make a difference, go to the social security office and ask for the numbers then with those numbers you can figure out which way to go. Don't look for advice from them just facts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2018, 01:01 PM

3,931 posts, read 4,710,573 times
It really is better to make an appointment with SS to get together with one of their people. Judging from my experience, they are really well-informed and interested in getting the best deal for you that can be found. At 65, I consulted with them and it was decided to file on my disabled husband's account with payment beginning at age 66. Then at 70, I switched back to my own account and received a larger amount, since my own account hadn't been touched.

Old 02-06-2018, 01:55 PM

71,946 posts, read 71,971,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
Maybe you can answer a question for me since I can't seem to find any answer in all the reading I've done. Does my ex have to be at FRA for me to collect anything on HIS benefits? Reason I ask is because my ex was way younger than me and I think his FRA is probably 65-70. Well, he's only 59 and will be 60 this year. A VERY good reason to not marry someone so much younger!! He has always made way more than I did/do so is probably going to have a good sum available when the time comes. Any answers/suggestions??
he has to be at least eligible to collect but as an ex does not have to be actually collecting . however unless you were grandfathered in by being 62 or older in 2015 1/2 his has to be higher than your own .

What hurdles do you need to clear in order to collect on an ex-spouse's work record? As long as your ex is entitled to Social Security, you must meet four main criteria:
Your former marriage lasted at least 10 years.
You are age 62 or older.
You are currently unmarried.
The benefit you are entitled to receive based on your own work is less than your ex-spouse's benefit.
If all that is true, you may be entitled to up to one-half of your ex's full retirement benefit, regardless of when they decide to take Social Security or if they remarry.

Old 02-06-2018, 02:07 PM

711 posts, read 191,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter Sucks View Post
In my case, the ex-husband passed away in his 40's so he wasn't collecting any SS.

It's confusing and I have to wonder by visiting the SS office if they're really going to give me the advice most advantageous to ME or advice that will save SS money.
Due to your age- not 60 yet, I would stop focusing on your eventual SS benefit right now as it may change somewhat due to potential changes in SS system- they just closed one of the loopholes a couple of years ago.

Sorry, that you are in this jobless predicament, but maybe thinking out of the box could help you get some income: could you move to where jobs are more plentiful?
Nursing homes often train CNAs and happy to provide full time income if you do not mind doing that. ( it is customary, that you only make just above minimum wage for 6 month during training, then it will be higher)
Alternately you can obtain your own CNA license based on your state requirements much faster and find a private duty job with a decent pay-20-25$ per hour)
Start a 1 person side business?( dog- walking, babysitting, cleaning, helping seniors - gardening, errands, etc)
Let’s hope that they preserve the current system and then a few month before you are 60- get an appointment at SS office and you would have your answer.
Once you get on SS roll before FRA- you are only allowed to earn $1410 per month ( the amount may change) without having your SS benefit reduced. Once FRA- you can make as much as you can without any deductions from SS benefit.( it may change)
So as you see is a bit of difficult to predict what will be the rules regarding your situation in 3-5 years.
One advice: you may consider not marrying if you still have an eye on your ex- husband widow benefit at your age 60 ( again, unless they change that rule)

As your ex is gone- you can find out exactly how much you are entitled at the age 60 and at you FRA based on his record- go to the SS security with your marriage license and other docs proving your marriage- and you get your answer right now.
You can always keep the Benefit based on your first husband, except not his widow benefit if you re- marry- so be careful about that!

Old 02-06-2018, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter Sucks View Post
In my case, the ex-husband passed away in his 40's so he wasn't collecting any SS.

It's confusing and I have to wonder by visiting the SS office if they're really going to give me the advice most advantageous to ME or advice that will save SS money.
They absolutely obligated to give you the best advice for YOU which way you can get the maximum benefit.
Sometimes the problem arises if the agent is not quite knowledgeable- try to visit different offices a few different times if you are not sure about the strength of the advice. It is free- they work for YOU.

Old 02-06-2018, 02:18 PM

they may be obligated but these clerks are scripted and i found i know more than they do . there are sites where you pay but they are social security pro's . depending on the work up and how integrated you want the analysis to be with all your assets they charge different amounts . i like social security solutions but there are loads of them .

Old 02-06-2018, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee W. View Post
It really is better to make an appointment with SS to get together with one of their people. Judging from my experience, they are really well-informed and interested in getting the best deal for you that can be found. At 65, I consulted with them and it was decided to file on my disabled husband's account with payment beginning at age 66. Then at 70, I switched back to my own account and received a larger amount, since my own account hadn't been touched.
I think they changed the rule and current retirees do not have the option you have got

Old 02-06-2018, 03:01 PM

591 posts, read 303,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik4me View Post
One advice: you may consider not marrying if you still have an eye on your ex- husband widow benefit at your age 60 ( again, unless they change that rule)
Yes, I heard that too. I am quite happy without a man in my life.

Thanks to all.

Old 02-06-2018, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik4me View Post
I think they changed the rule and current retirees do not have the option you have got
correct , you only have this if you were 62 in 2015 or older .now you can only collect on an ex if 1/2 their full is larger than your full benefit

Old 02-06-2018, 03:59 PM

1,227 posts, read 1,263,463 times
Hi Winter Sucks,

You can collect a survivor's benefit on your deceased ex-husband. Depending upon the age at which he died (meaning he died before working 35 years) Social Security will index his wages using a special formula called WINDEX.

At age 60 you will get less Survivor's benefit than if you wait until your full retirement age. You are allowed to switch from the Survivor's benefit to your own retirement benefit. Your retirement benefit will grow with delayed retirement credits until you reach age 70. The survivor's benefit does not earn delayed retirement credit.

It would be a good idea for you to meet in person or speak over the telephone with Social Security. They will be able to tell you what your survivor's benefit will be at age 60 and at full retirement age (or at any age between 60 and your FRA). They will also be able to tell you what your retirement benefit will be from age 62 through age 70. With this information you will be able to choose the best options for yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement