U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2018, 04:43 AM

1,351 posts, read 620,229 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
As I understand it, (and who really does fully?), your benefit will never "go down". However, it will not get larger either, (other than the yearly COL increases). Pretty sure a benefit is based on the 35 highest earning quarters, or something like that.

I could very well be wrong on this. Do as Heidi60 suggests: go into the office and talk with the experts.

It can "go down" in terms of anticipated future benefit if you have looked at projections that assume continued employment at your former salary until retirement and you end up with 0 years factored in or with a lower salary. Then your projected benefit could go down. You don't lose anything on what you have earned to date.

It is 35 highest earning YEARS, not quarters, and any earning years fewer than 35 are factored in as zeros. This hits a lot of women hard, as so many take time out of the workforce to care for children or elderly parents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2018, 04:52 AM

72,330 posts, read 72,289,871 times
i went through that but it was so tiny of a difference as to not even be noticed .

i was making my highest inflation adjusted pay levels and went part time at age 60 . i retired for the most part at 62 and took ss at 65 .

i think i saw a change by not earning the expected income of just a few dollars .

Old 02-08-2018, 07:34 AM

8,633 posts, read 9,733,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
he has to be at least eligible to collect but as an ex does not have to be actually collecting . however unless you were grandfathered in by being 62 or older in 2015 1/2 his has to be higher than your own .

What hurdles do you need to clear in order to collect on an ex-spouse's work record? As long as your ex is entitled to Social Security, you must meet four main criteria:
Your former marriage lasted at least 10 years.
You are age 62 or older.
You are currently unmarried.
The benefit you are entitled to receive based on your own work is less than your ex-spouse's benefit.
If all that is true, you may be entitled to up to one-half of your ex's full retirement benefit, regardless of when they decide to take Social Security or if they remarry.

Okay...I meet all of that criteria. I guess I'll have to contact SS and see what they say. I have a hunch though, that half of his would probably equal what my full benefit is so would it even be worth it?

Old 02-08-2018, 07:48 AM

592 posts, read 307,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
Okay...I meet all of that criteria. I guess I'll have to contact SS and see what they say. I have a hunch though, that half of his would probably equal what my full benefit is so would it even be worth it?
That's what I'm thinking, too.

Old 02-08-2018, 08:27 AM

10,153 posts, read 12,439,418 times
We had an office employee who lost her husband when she was 61 and she collected on his social security as a widow.

The lady had always worked and she continued to work until age 70 when she shifted from his social security to hers earning a raise of a few hundred dollars every month.

Old 02-08-2018, 08:44 AM

8,633 posts, read 9,733,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter Sucks View Post
That's what I'm thinking, too.

It would be nice if I could get half of my ex's SS in ADDITION to what I get now! lol I could actually retire. It would be close but I could do it.

Old 02-08-2018, 09:43 AM

2,952 posts, read 1,656,278 times
I don't think you can collect both.

Knew a guy who's wife died and he thought he was going to get his and hers. He could up grade to hers but not collect both.

Old 02-08-2018, 09:45 AM

2,952 posts, read 1,656,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
it is his fra amount x.71 at 60
She plans on working till 70. So does the formula change to her advantage every year if she would of waited?

Old 02-08-2018, 10:54 AM

592 posts, read 307,601 times
So many variables. Very confusing.

Old 02-08-2018, 11:21 AM

4,682 posts, read 4,521,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter Sucks View Post
So many variables. Very confusing.
Yes it is! Thatís why you need to do what several of us suggested . . . get yourself into a SS office and have a talk with them.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement