U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2018, 10:03 AM

3,442 posts, read 1,532,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFW46 View Post
I agree that gout in the ankle would be more painful than gout in a toe. But I'll tell you that gout in every single joint in a foot, from the toes to the ankle, is excruciating enough to make you beg for amputation.

As I said, I have a pretty high threshold for pain -- I had two kids without any anesthesic and never felt anything more than mild discomfort -- but that 3-month-long gout just about killed me. (And, now that my acute kidney failure has been treated, I dont have any more gout issues.)

What is it about gout that is so painful? Crystals in the joints, or something? I've looked it up but I'd rather hear personal anecdotes.

When I had appendicitis, it was very similar to kidney stones. I didn't know which it was until X-rayed. Both cause LOTS of vomiting, curling up in the fetal position, as others have said. It was all my vomiting (into a waste basket I brought with) that got me ahead in line at the ER, LOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2018, 11:05 AM

15,149 posts, read 19,763,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
What is it about gout that is so painful? Crystals in the joints, or something? I've looked it up but I'd rather hear personal anecdotes...

The pain comes from the buildup of uric acid crystals in the joints. The kidneys get rid of excess uric acid but some people's kidneys dont work well enough to do that -- or sometimes people are susceptible to high-purine (acid-causing) foods or eat too much of them and the kidneys cant get rid of the acid quickly enough.

My attack lasted for 3 months straight (because I had acute kidney failure for that long). To me, it felt like burning acid being forced into the joints.

The affected joint is red, hot and swollen -- my gout affected every joint in my foot and the entire foot looked like a very bad sunburn.

A gout attack almost always starts in the middle of the night -- I dont know why. Occasionally my pain would subside a little (from the painkillers I took) but it always came back with a vengeance every morning around 3:00 AM after I'd managed to fall asleep.

I have a very high tolerance for pain but I'm not exaggerating when I say that, after about 6 weeks of gout almost 24/7, I begged the docs to amputate my foot. As I said, I've had 2 kids without any anesthetic and found the exerpiences to be only a little uncomfortable. I've also had several major surgeries and never had any after-pain. But that gout was he11.

Old 02-19-2018, 02:42 PM

1 posts, read 215 times
I have had multiple bouts with kidney stones and also had gall stones, leading to removal of my gall bladder. The kidney stone attacks vary in intensity. For me, the worst and most painful part is when the stone is in the lower back. Excruciating pain which for me was much worse than the actual passing of the stone. Personally I felt kidney stones were so ewhat worse than gall stones.

Old 02-19-2018, 03:12 PM

7,664 posts, read 4,705,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
Shouldn't you move this to a medical forum/thread?
If you don't know old people who talk about their ailments...

...you don't know enough old people.

Old 02-19-2018, 04:19 PM

2,910 posts, read 1,588,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
What is it about gout that is so painful? Crystals in the joints, or something? I've looked it up but I'd rather hear personal anecdotes.
Best way I can describe it is imagine your (toe/ankle/foot/knee/etc) very badly burned - bright red/pink & even being touched by a bedsheet on the skin causes pain + imagine the joint is also broken & can only move it slightly with intense joint pain. Thing is, we all have to move at some point if only to adjust ourselves or get to the bathroom, makes one reconsider every move. (Also we don't realize how much we rely on our big toe until it seems an open raw nerve reacting against every step.)

I take daily meds now & try to watch my diet but I can tell pretty early on by a subtle feeling that a joint is threatening & I stop any meat or alcohol intake & take a prescription anti-inflammatory med.

Old 02-20-2018, 08:41 PM

7,867 posts, read 2,285,263 times
I was told by my gastro guy that most people over 60 have gallstones.

Old 02-21-2018, 12:41 AM

14,547 posts, read 17,549,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
I was told by my gastro guy that most people over 60 have gallstones.
After taking something which apparently *caused gallstones* for several years, I started feeling not well at all. It was blamed on my preexisting condition, which was acting up, but when I had surgery they discovered the worse infection was from the gallstones. I process a lot less fluids, and it leads to the formation of many more and larger stones. So now I don't form them. No gallbladder anymore.

But what I am still not sure why is that the gallbladder is one of those multifunctioning parts which will leave you with left over problems when it quits working or is removed. It may impare my asorbtion of food, and was responsible for an infection which eventually led to the surgery.

So, no gallstones for me. Not sure its from the best of reasons, but at least I got something out of the mess.

I've never seen what effect no gall bladder has on nutrition, though. I do know all the effects from the ostomy, or more like the three of them as it turned out to be really bad and they had to go to the extreme to fix it. When I was getting extra food as I was out of money, it was extremely tiresome explaining how I couldn't really gain from some food, without going into too many details.

Those who have parts missing and have to explain it to doctors or such tend to get disregarded in my experience. So, its supposed to this. But it is doing that. My test for a doctor is if they argue when I correct them with specifics I know about me.

I've come to terms with being a mutant and being able to say for real that I'm not one of the 'normals'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement