U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2018, 07:44 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,294 posts, read 3,339,856 times

Advertisements

Just courios,.....
Which circumstance is the most painful:
1/...To pass a Kidney Stone,....or, To have a Gall Stone get lodged in the Bile Duct?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2018, 11:04 PM

15,149 posts, read 19,748,966 times
I've been told (by more than one doctor) that the three most painful conditions are (in this order):

Kidney Stone
Gout
Childbirth

Old 02-08-2018, 07:50 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
29,769 posts, read 54,408,375 times
My (late) mother-in-law had 3 children, and also had a kidney stone. She always said the kidney stone was more painful. I had one myself about 30 years ago and it was extreme pain, however I can't compare it to birth (being male) or gall stone since I haven't had one.

Old 02-08-2018, 08:15 AM

3,427 posts, read 1,527,565 times
In others' experience, is it the passing of the kidney stone that is so painful, or just its presence in the kidney?

I've had 3---the pain while IN the kidney was pretty bad. 2 were pulverized by lithotripsy; pieces of one came out and there was a brief moment of excruciating pain, but that was it. The other two just disappeared; never came out. I think my broken ankle was more painful.

Kidless, so can't compare that go-around.

Old 02-08-2018, 08:47 AM

15,149 posts, read 19,748,966 times
According to what several docs told me, it's the passing of the kidney stone that's the most painful. The presence in the kidney may hurt but trying to pass it is excruciating.

A broken bone, like an ankle, is painful but apparently not nearly so painful as passing a kidney stone, gout and childbirth.

There may be exceptions to this rule. Seven years ago I had acute kidney failure which resulted in gout in every joint of my foot for 3 months -- and I also had two babies via natural childbirth (no drugs at all). I found childbirth a bit uncomfortable but not really painful -- in fact, I took my chess board to the hospital and played chess right up until the moment my kids were born.

I know a guy who had gout in one toe and was able to drive himself to the ER. So obviously he wasnt in extreme pain. However, when I had gout everywhere in my foot, I was in agony. I was driven to the ER twice and begged the docs to amputate that foot. I have a high tolerance for pain but I was serious when I asked them to just cut the foot off. (The drugs they gave me, both for gout and for pain, didnt work because the cause was acute kidney failure.)

Old 02-08-2018, 08:54 AM

5,767 posts, read 4,827,803 times
The worst pain I've ever had was intense back spasms. In the ER, they gave me two shots of morphine and one of demerol within one hour, and then the pain didn't really stop, I just passed out from the drugs. I'm no wuss either, I broke my femur and never took anything but 800 mg ibuprofen after the surgery. It was painful, but nothing like the back spasms.

Can't address stones, as I've never had either.

Old 02-08-2018, 10:19 AM

659 posts, read 324,577 times
Imagine an earthquake and the concentric pattern of shocks radiating far from the center. That's what a spasm is like. Its your worst crippling charley horse pain on steroids.
I'll always remember gall stone pain as the most excruciating, worse than labor pains. The spasms were non stop and radiated from front to my back. I near went out of my mind.

When I worked as nurse, it seemed to me that patients with a kidney stone suffered the most. The spasms caused by the stone trying to pass down the ureters seemed unbearable; strong narcotic pain medication didn't seem to help much.

Old 02-08-2018, 10:24 AM

31,613 posts, read 19,947,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFW46 View Post
I've been told (by more than one doctor) that the three most painful conditions are (in this order):

Kidney Stone
Gout
Childbirth

Nurse told me the gallstones I had would make child birth seem like a breeze... never had kids though. Never had one in a bile duct, but did have "sludge" back up at a valve which gave me pancreantitis.... that was frickin lovely.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old 02-08-2018, 11:30 AM

8,046 posts, read 5,888,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Nurse told me the gallstones I had would make child birth seem like a breeze... never had kids though. Never had one in a bile duct, but did have "sludge" back up at a valve which gave me pancreantitis.... that was frickin lovely.
Shouldn't you move this to a medical forum/thread?

Old 02-08-2018, 11:57 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
29,769 posts, read 54,408,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyJuly View Post
Imagine an earthquake and the concentric pattern of shocks radiating far from the center. That's what a spasm is like. Its your worst crippling charley horse pain on steroids.
I'll always remember gall stone pain as the most excruciating, worse than labor pains. The spasms were non stop and radiated from front to my back. I near went out of my mind.

When I worked as nurse, it seemed to me that patients with a kidney stone suffered the most. The spasms caused by the stone trying to pass down the ureters seemed unbearable; strong narcotic pain medication didn't seem to help much.
They gave me Morphine, and I had that same experience. It seemed like the pain was still there, but I didn't care as much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement