U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 05-09-2018, 02:53 PM
 
Location: Georgia, USA
23,398 posts, read 28,234,455 times
Reputation: 28974

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BijouBaby View Post
Actually, once you have it, there really is no "complicated care" or expense to go to, or much to do at all except wait it out and try to make yourself as comfortable as possible. Pain drugs or holistic salves don't help much if at all. Like other viruses, only time cures it. That's the bummer of shingles. Think about a stomach virus... Nothing much to do but puke and wait. Same with shingles (tho no puking involved thankfully). Nothing to do but wait it out.

But my doc told me and others have attested that USUALLY, most people only contract it once. BUT, there are plenty of exceptions to this, AND there are no guarantees that you won't get it again. The virus is forever living dormant in nerve clusters near the spine, although inactive most of the time, unless your immune system is compromised and then the door is open for it to activate. Then Katy bar the door, cuz you're in for an experience you won't soon forget.
There are antiviral medications that can help shingles. They work best when started as soon as there is any suspicion of the diagnosis. Pain medication can also help, especially those that target nerve pain. Steroids can help reduce inflammation. Best, of course, is to not get it at all, and the new vaccine is very effective in that respect.

https://emedicine.medscape.com/artic...465-medication

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs.cool View Post
According to my insurance company I do.
Since ACIP has recommended Shingrix for over age 50, insurance companies should cover it. Send this to your carrier.

https://emedicine.medscape.com/artic...465-medication

"Recommended for the prevention of herpes zoster and related complications for immunocompetent adults aged 50 years and older."

 
Old 05-09-2018, 03:08 PM
 
Location: 49th parallel
2,598 posts, read 1,357,733 times
Reputation: 5395
Awfully sorry to ask this if it has been asked before, but I didn't want to read through 1200 posts to find out, so:

can anyone tell me whether the new Shingrix shot has an upper age after which they will not give it,
and
since I had a "shingles booster" shot in the U.K. last year (probably the old type) I wonder how long I should wait before getting this new vaccine - if at all.
 
Old 05-09-2018, 03:57 PM
 
4,343 posts, read 6,053,473 times
Reputation: 10428
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Give it a few more hours, and you might want some tylenol on hand, just in case. For me the second day was worse than the first few hours afterwords.
Me too. I had a good 24 hours of popping Advil. Today is day 3 and I woke up fine.
 
Old 05-09-2018, 04:21 PM
 
Location: Georgia, USA
23,398 posts, read 28,234,455 times
Reputation: 28974
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
Awfully sorry to ask this if it has been asked before, but I didn't want to read through 1200 posts to find out, so:

can anyone tell me whether the new Shingrix shot has an upper age after which they will not give it,
and
since I had a "shingles booster" shot in the U.K. last year (probably the old type) I wonder how long I should wait before getting this new vaccine - if at all.
There is no upper age limit, and Shingrix may be given after the older vaccine.

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd/shi...rix/index.html

"If you had Zostavax in the recent past, you should wait at least eight weeks before getting Shingrix."
 
Old 05-09-2018, 05:38 PM
 
659 posts, read 351,726 times
Reputation: 2429
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
There are antiviral medications that can help shingles. They work best when started as soon as there is any suspicion of the diagnosis. Pain medication can also help, especially those that target nerve pain. Steroids can help reduce inflammation.
I don't know if you've actually HAD shingles or not. But none of what you are recommending helped me at all. And I DID try all of them. Only time helped. Now, I'm not saying that for someone else, these remedies won't help. But I started them on day 2 and nothing helped. I hope someone else has better luck with these... Maybe I was "worst case scenario". How can I tell if they were effective or not? Well, I can say I was in excruciating pain and I can't imagine it being worse. Unfortunately for me, I just had to push on through.

Just saying, there can be cases where after the after-the-fact remedies are useless. Which is why I'm strongly advocating getting the inoculation. You just never know how much your immune system is compromised. How can anyone know who is getting it for the first time that its shingles and be able to get an appointment with their doc on day one? I'm saying you won't know what it is on day one. First I woke up with an intense lower back pain like I've never felt. I just thought I'd tweaked my back somehow on the day before. Then over the course of that day, I began to feel a burning on the skin. Not until day 2 did the pox show themselves, then I knew something was up. Did mad research of the symptoms online and strongly suspected shingles. Got in right away, but still it was day 2 and none of the meds to curtail or lessen the pain helped after that.

I'm not writing this to conradict what you're saying. I'm just trying to tell people out there that it can happen very fast and drugs may or may not help you. Which is why I'm saying to get inoculated ASAP so you don't have to roll the dice on your particular outbreak. I was denied the vaccine when I asked for it at 55 prior to my outbreak at 56. Now it would be different, but back then, 60 was the age that shingles vaccine was allowed to be paid for by insurance. Even offering to pay my doc, he still refused to give it to me. This is part of the reason that I've lost faith in the medical profession as guardians for my health care. There are many other reasons, but suffice to say, I charge myself with my own healthcare for most situations.

If I can save just ONE person from the agony of shingles, that is my only intent. Get the vaccine. It's the only way to get ahead of this dreadful experience. If you still get it despite your best proactive efforts, well at least you know you did all you could to prevent it, and with the vaccine, you'll probably have a milder case of it.

Last edited by BijouBaby; 05-09-2018 at 05:59 PM..
 
Old 05-09-2018, 05:49 PM
 
15,149 posts, read 19,745,101 times
Reputation: 21319
Quote:
Originally Posted by BijouBaby View Post
...The pharmacist who administered the shot said that the previous shingles vaccine WAS very painful with a lot of side effects...

Interesting. I got the original shingles shot at Walgreen's and had no pain/discomfort, no side effects, no nothing at all.
 
Old 05-09-2018, 06:01 PM
 
659 posts, read 351,726 times
Reputation: 2429
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFW46 View Post
Interesting. I got the original shingles shot at Walgreen's and had no pain/discomfort, no side effects, no nothing at all.
Yeah, who cares how much it hurts or what the minor side effect are, right? Just do it!! NOthing you experience with getting the vaccine will be 1/100th of what you will suffer with a full-blown case of shingle.

Just sayin'....
 
Old 05-09-2018, 06:07 PM
 
Location: Texas of course
563 posts, read 265,846 times
Reputation: 2897
Has anyone here had a bad reaction from Shringrix?
 
Old 05-09-2018, 06:47 PM
 
Location: Georgia, USA
23,398 posts, read 28,234,455 times
Reputation: 28974
Quote:
Originally Posted by BijouBaby View Post
I don't know if you've actually HAD shingles or not. But none of what you are recommending helped me at all. And I DID try all of them. Only time helped. Now, I'm not saying that for someone else, these remedies won't help. But I started them on day 2 and nothing helped. I hope someone else has better luck with these... Maybe I was "worst case scenario". How can I tell if they were effective or not? Well, I can say I was in excruciating pain and I can't imagine it being worse. Unfortunately for me, I just had to push on through.

Just saying, there can be cases where after the after-the-fact remedies are useless. Which is why I'm strongly advocating getting the inoculation. You just never know how much your immune system is compromised. How can anyone know who is getting it for the first time that its shingles and be able to get an appointment with their doc on day one? I'm saying you won't know what it is on day one. First I woke up with an intense lower back pain like I've never felt. I just thought I'd tweaked my back somehow on the day before. Then over the course of that day, I began to feel a burning on the skin. Not until day 2 did the pox show themselves, then I knew something was up. Did mad research of the symptoms online and strongly suspected shingles. Got in right away, but still it was day 2 and none of the meds to curtail or lessen the pain helped after that.

I'm not writing this to conradict what you're saying. I'm just trying to tell people out there that it can happen very fast and drugs may or may not help you. Which is why I'm saying to get inoculated ASAP so you don't have to roll the dice on your particular outbreak. I was denied the vaccine when I asked for it at 55 prior to my outbreak at 56. Now it would be different, but back then, 60 was the age that shingles vaccine was allowed to be paid for by insurance. Even offering to pay my doc, he still refused to give it to me. This is part of the reason that I've lost faith in the medical profession as guardians for my health care. There are many other reasons, but suffice to say, I charge myself with my own healthcare for most situations.

If I can save just ONE person from the agony of shingles, that is my only intent. Get the vaccine. It's the only way to get ahead of this dreadful experience. If you still get it despite your best proactive efforts, well at least you know you did all you could to prevent it, and with the vaccine, you'll probably have a milder case of it.
No, I have not had shingles. My husband did, though. The antiviral and Lyrica helped him. I am sorry it did not work for you.

Both of us now have had the Zostavax and plan to get the Shingrix. I totally agree that the vaccine is the best choice.

I am also sorry that your physician did not honor your request for the vaccine. As long as you were willing to pay for it it could have been given. It was approved down to age 50.
 
Old 05-09-2018, 07:33 PM
 
659 posts, read 351,726 times
Reputation: 2429
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
I am also sorry that your physician did not honor your request for the vaccine. As long as you were willing to pay for it it could have been given. It was approved down to age 50.
Yeah, we parted ways after the shingles attack. Last time I take a doctor's word as gospel. More and more, we all need to be our own self-advocates for healthcare and stop thinking the old way that doctors are gods and can do no wrong. Part of the fault lies at insurance companies' doors forcing doctors to run patients thru like sheep thru a chute. The only doctors that I see still giving the old fashion kind of care and time are those that don't accept insurance. But not many can afford that kind of care. What used to be a given is now a very rare event and only for the rich.

Last edited by BijouBaby; 05-09-2018 at 07:54 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top