U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 05-12-2018, 01:51 PM
 
698 posts, read 208,430 times
Reputation: 1338

Advertisements

Just so everyone knows- not everyone should have the vaccine.
From the CDC:
Who Should Not Get Shingrix?
The side effects of the Shingrix are temporary, and usually last 2 to 3 days. While you may experience pain for a few days after getting Shingrix, the pain will be less severe than having shingles and the complications from the disease.

You should not get Shingrix if you:

have ever had a severe allergic reaction to any component of the vaccine or after a dose of Shingrix
tested negative for immunity to varicella zoster virus. If you test negative, you should get chickenpox vaccine.
currently have shingles
currently are pregnant or breastfeeding. Women who are pregnant or breastfeeding should wait to get Shingrix.
If you have a minor acute (starts suddenly) illness, such as a cold, you may get Shingrix. But if you have a moderate or severe acute illness, you should usually wait until you recover before getting the vaccine. This includes anyone with a temperature of 101.3F or higher.

 
Old 05-12-2018, 02:04 PM
 
Location: Georgia, USA
23,440 posts, read 28,306,241 times
Reputation: 29041
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
You come off like you know it all, like so definite on the body's healing and prevention abilities. You or no one knows what goes on in our bodies. Lysine is very effective and I've used it for years, I dealt with Herpes in my 30's that was close to 50 yrs ago and never had outbreaks and other viral issues. You have talked about your anti supplement position since I arrived at this forum.
Yes, it is known what "goes on in our bodies" with shingles and herpes simplex.

What I do is look for evidence to show that fewer people who take lysine will get shingles than those who do not or that it speeds resolution of symptoms faster than the prescription antivirals. There is no such evidence. If you have such evidence, please link to it. Websites that sell lysine are not evidence.

You say you have used it "off and on". If you take it and do not get shingles and you do not take it and do not get shingles, it is illogical to conclude that the lysine is the reason you have never had shingles - or that you no longer have herpes outbreaks.

This article describes the research on lysine for herpes simplex. It is fairly old, but I can find nothing more recent that contradicts it. The studies are small and do not convincingly show that lysine is effective.

https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/406943_1

On the other hand, taking an antiviral like acyclovir or valacyclovir not only has been shown to decrease symptomatic outbreaks of herpes but also to decrease asymptomatic shedding of the virus. It also does not require a diet that restricts intake of arginine and works if taken at the first sign of an outbreak.

The number of outbreaks of herpes simplex tends to decline with age, even with no treatment at all.

You repeatedly express opinions that are based only on your own personal experience as a reason to suggest that others also do what you do, despite there being no evidence that the supplements you use have been shown to do what you believe they do.

In the context of this thread, lysine cannot hold a candle to Shingrix, which is highly effective and requires, at this point, only the series of two shots, and which will be less expensive over time than taking lysine.

I would highly endorse any supplement that you can convince me actually does what the manufacturer claims it does. CoQ10 for people who use statins is one.
 
Old 05-12-2018, 02:08 PM
 
660 posts, read 353,729 times
Reputation: 2429
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I posted back in 9/2017 in Alt Med area here Prevention/Cure for Shingles, etc. I practice what I preach and believe what I take works.
You didn't answer my question. Do you know anyone who has had shingles? I mean up close and personal. Have you actually seen how the disease acts and its effects? Have you had personal experience with shingles?

I want to know if you speak from a position of having seen shingles in action.
 
Old 05-12-2018, 02:11 PM
 
660 posts, read 353,729 times
Reputation: 2429
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlguy44 View Post
As the old saying goes, "Belief kills, belief cures"!
Not sure of your meaning; not familiar with this saying. How are you applying this saying to this thread, please?
 
Old 05-12-2018, 02:17 PM
 
698 posts, read 208,430 times
Reputation: 1338
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Yes, it is known what "goes on in our bodies" with shingles and herpes simplex.

What I do is look for evidence to show that fewer people who take lysine will get shingles than those who do not or that it speeds resolution of symptoms faster than the prescription antivirals. There is no such evidence. If you have such evidence, please link to it. Websites that sell lysine are not evidence.

You say you have used it "off and on". If you take it and do not get shingles and you do not take it and do not get shingles, it is illogical to conclude that the lysine is the reason you have never had shingles - or that you no longer have herpes outbreaks.

This article describes the research on lysine for herpes simplex. It is fairly old, but I can find nothing more recent that contradicts it. The studies are small and do not convincingly show that lysine is effective.

https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/406943_1

On the other hand, taking an antiviral like acyclovir or valacyclovir not only has been shown to decrease symptomatic outbreaks of herpes but also to decrease asymptomatic shedding of the virus. It also does not require a diet that restricts intake of arginine and works if taken at the first sign of an outbreak.

The number of outbreaks of herpes simplex tends to decline with age, even with no treatment at all.

You repeatedly express opinions that are based only on your own personal experience as a reason to suggest that others also do what you do, despite there being no evidence that the supplements you use have been shown to do what you believe they do.

In the context of this thread, lysine cannot hold a candle to Shingrix, which is highly effective and requires, at this point, only the series of two shots, and which will be less expensive over time than taking lysine.

I would highly endorse any supplement that you can convince me actually does what the manufacturer claims it does. CoQ10 for people who use statins is one.
You are doing the exact same thing that you accuse her of doing. Just because a vaccine might work for an individual with no side effects. Doesnt mean its true for everyone. Shringrix was only given to 16000 people before it was approved by the FDA. Thats not a large test. Thats why any reaction has to be reported to a vaccine advisory committee who is keeping tract of reactions and side effects. Look it up.
 
Old 05-12-2018, 02:17 PM
 
Location: Georgia, USA
23,440 posts, read 28,306,241 times
Reputation: 29041
Quote:
Originally Posted by Williepaws View Post
Just so everyone knows- not everyone should have the vaccine.
From the CDC:
Who Should Not Get Shingrix?
The side effects of the Shingrix are temporary, and usually last 2 to 3 days. While you may experience pain for a few days after getting Shingrix, the pain will be less severe than having shingles and the complications from the disease.

You should not get Shingrix if you:

have ever had a severe allergic reaction to any component of the vaccine or after a dose of Shingrix
tested negative for immunity to varicella zoster virus. If you test negative, you should get chickenpox vaccine.
currently have shingles
currently are pregnant or breastfeeding. Women who are pregnant or breastfeeding should wait to get Shingrix.
If you have a minor acute (starts suddenly) illness, such as a cold, you may get Shingrix. But if you have a moderate or severe acute illness, you should usually wait until you recover before getting the vaccine. This includes anyone with a temperature of 101.3F or higher.
Note that all of those are temporary exclusions except allergy.

Testing for immunity to the virus is not routinely recommended since virtually everyone old enough to get the vaccine has had chickenpox. Even if you have not had chickenpox but you do not know it, you can still take Shingrix. If you have tested negative, the lower dose chickenpox vaccine is used.

One issue is whether they will develop a version of Shingrix to replace the live childhood chickenpox vaccine. The current vaccine does have a small risk of causing shingles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Williepaws View Post
You are doing the exact same thing that you accuse her of doing. Just because a vaccine might work for an individual with no side effects. Doesnt mean its true for everyone. Shringrix was only given to 16000 people before it was approved by the FDA. Thats not a large test. Thats why any reaction has to be reported to a vaccine advisory committee who is keeping tract of reactions and side effects. Look it up.
No, I am not doing the same thing she is doing. We were discussing effectiveness. That is totally different from side effects. Lysine can cause side effects, too. She tries to convince people to use her favorite supps based only on her belief that hey "work" for her.

Every vaccine is closely followed after it is released. That is standard procedure.
 
Old 05-12-2018, 02:22 PM
 
660 posts, read 353,729 times
Reputation: 2429
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Someone who does NOT use supplements can speak with such authority? I don't get that. I can speak from some of the damage done by drugs I've been given in my life.
And I don't understand how someone who has had NO experience with a shingle outbreak speak against the vaccine with such authority. I don't get that.
 
Old 05-12-2018, 02:26 PM
 
6,399 posts, read 3,591,122 times
Reputation: 7346
Quote:
Originally Posted by BijouBaby View Post
You didn't answer my question. Do you know anyone who has had shingles? I mean up close and personal. Have you actually seen how the disease acts and its effects? Have you had personal experience with shingles?

I want to know if you speak from a position of having seen shingles in action.
I will answer this. Yes, my husband (at 65) who had the vaccination, my SIL (at 32) who had no vaccination because of his age, and my daughter (at 38) who also had no vaccination because of age.

Both my husband and SIL went to work for a week before going to a doctor. Horrible pain? Both said it itched, on and off. It was on their backs about the size of a Silver Dollar. They wore shirts to work.

My daughter had it on her neck and face so she could not go to work in public because of that. She, too, said it itched like crazy.

I do not fear shingles and am not getting that vaccination. I've experienced ITCHING from skin allergies my entire life. Oh, the SUFFERING!

BTW, all of my relatives got over shingles in about 10 days. I take no supplements for anything.
 
Old 05-12-2018, 02:35 PM
 
660 posts, read 353,729 times
Reputation: 2429
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
I will answer this. Yes, my husband (at 65) who had the vaccination, my SIL (at 32) who had no vaccination because of his age, and my daughter (at 38) who also had no vaccination because of age.

Both my husband and SIL went to work for a week before going to a doctor. Horrible pain? Both said it itched, on and off. It was on their backs about the size of a Silver Dollar. They wore shirts to work.

My daughter had it on her neck and face so she could not go to work in public because of that. She, too, said it itched like crazy.

I do not fear shingles and am not getting that vaccination. I've experienced ITCHING from skin allergies my entire life. Oh, the SUFFERING!

BTW, all of my relatives got over shingles in about 10 days. I take no supplements for anything.
Thanks for your input Jo48, but the question actually wasn't addressed to you. I was asking Jamin...
 
Old 05-12-2018, 02:41 PM
 
698 posts, read 208,430 times
Reputation: 1338
Quote:
Originally Posted by BijouBaby View Post
And I don't understand how someone who has had NO experience with a shingle outbreak speak against the vaccine with such authority. I don't get that.
Easy. Im well over 65 and the only person I know that had shingles was 30 yrs ago. Most people will never have it. Just because a drug co says this vaccine is the best thing since sliced bread doesnt mean it is. You do what you think is right for you, and others will do what is right for them. Easy peasy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top