U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2018, 04:56 PM

6,388 posts, read 3,587,357 times

Advertisements

Combination of factors. Stress, too many medications, and one vaccine (chicken pox) creating the need for another.

Before the chicken pox vaccine, adults were constantly being exposed to chicken pox from their children, grandchildren, and even great-grandchildren. All that constant expose acted as a booster to prevent shingles. We've eliminated that, so now we need another vaccine.

So why did my husband get shingles, despite being vaccinated, AND having children with it? Well, as a Dad with daughters he was not the one touching their pox, bathing/drying them, washing their bedding and clothes with bare hands. Mothers are far more up close and personal with the children and will have more exposure to their illnesses.

How long does this "booster" last? Who knows? I won't be getting a second booster from my vaccinated grandkids as my grandma, and even my great-grandma got from me.

Old 05-12-2018, 05:48 PM

15,149 posts, read 19,771,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BijouBaby View Post
And I don't understand how someone who has had NO experience with a shingle outbreak speak against the vaccine with such authority. I don't get that.

Some people believe that repeating the same advice over and over, even without any real-life experience or knowledge, will convince others that they know what they're talking about.

Old 05-12-2018, 06:13 PM

698 posts, read 208,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFW46 View Post
Some people believe that repeating the same advice over and over, even without any real-life experience or knowledge, will convince others that they know what they're talking about.
Oh you mean just like the posters here who want everyone to have the vaccine?

Old 05-12-2018, 06:16 PM

23,433 posts, read 28,289,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Williepaws View Post
Easy. Im well over 65 and the only person I know that had shingles was 30 yrs ago. Most people will never have it. Just because a drug co says this vaccine is the best thing since sliced bread doesnt mean it is. You do what you think is right for you, and others will do what is right for them. Easy peasy.
I guarantee that you know more than one person who has had shingles. Not all of your relatives and acquaintances will bring it up with you.

Quote:
And you and others are trying to convince everyone to get the vaccine. She believes in supplements. Works for her. You believe in the vaccine. It might or might not work for you. No difference.
There is a very big difference. I have scientific support for my position; she has none.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
I wonder how many here enthusiastically took Zostavax?

The point is that you don't know what is being peddled as a "cure" by the medical establishment that might turn out to be problematic or dangerous.

Now everyone is jumping on the new drug bandwagon.

I would say if you want to prevent shingles (or any other illness), tend to your immune system and be aware of how you are managing stress. There are a number of holistic reinforcements out there for any one interested in attaining and maintaining optimum health.

All manufactured pharmaceutical "cures" have toxic side effects - side effects are not just fine print that should be glossed over.
I took the Zostavax. I had seen my husband with shingles. I will now be taking the Shingrix. DH took the Zostavax, too.

All supplements can potentially have side effects, too. High doses of some vitamins can cause serious problems. Herbal products often do not contain what is on the label and may contain substances that are not on the label, including pharmaceuticals.

You may "tend to your immune system" and "manage" stress all you want to and still get a vaccine preventable disease. There is no way to "tend" to the age related decline in immune function.

The vaccine will be monitored for adverse effects, but at this point there is no reason to suspect it will have a higher risk of them than other vaccines, where the risk is minuscule.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
I will answer this. Yes, my husband (at 65) who had the vaccination, my SIL (at 32) who had no vaccination because of his age, and my daughter (at 38) who also had no vaccination because of age.

Both my husband and SIL went to work for a week before going to a doctor. Horrible pain? Both said it itched, on and off. It was on their backs about the size of a Silver Dollar. They wore shirts to work.

My daughter had it on her neck and face so she could not go to work in public because of that. She, too, said it itched like crazy.

I do not fear shingles and am not getting that vaccination. I've experienced ITCHING from skin allergies my entire life. Oh, the SUFFERING!

BTW, all of my relatives got over shingles in about 10 days. I take no supplements for anything.
You can roll your eyes all you want. Based on the experiences of three family members you have decided shingles is just itchy, not painful. You are very wrong. Postherpetic neuralgia is very real.

https://blogs.nejm.org/now/index.php...ia/2014/10/17/

"Analysis of data from the United Kingdom General Practice Research Database showed that the incidence of postherpetic neuralgia (as defined by pain at 3 months) rose from 8% at 50 to 54 years of age to 21% at 80 to 84 years of age. Risk factors for postherpetic neuralgia include older age and greater severity of the prodrome, rash, and pain during the acute phase. The incidence is also increased among persons with chronic diseases such as respiratory disease and diabetes, and it may be increased among immunocompromised patients, although the evidence is sparse and inconsistent."

https://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-...hingles-pain#1

"'Among people with PHN, some have their pain resolve in the first year to 18 months after the shingles rash goes away,' Rice tells WebMD. 'But if they have pain longer than that, it is not going to go away on its own.'"

https://www.practicalpainmanagement....etic-neuralgia

"Acute herpes zoster neuritis and postherpetic neuralgia continues to be one of the most painful, acute and chronic conditions to afflict mankind."

"The duration of postherpetic neuralgia may be months to years and the pain may be mild to excruciating to the point of placing patients at risk for suicide. Postherpetic neuralgia is the most common cause of suicide in patients with chronic pain over the age of 70 in the United States and Western Europe."

Just stop pretending shingles is just an itchy rash. It is not.

Quote:
Interesting. 1out of 3 means 2 out of 3 wont get it. And if the avg decreases with age, it still is 50% that wont and we dont know why. I know of no one in the past 30 yrs that has had it and I barely known anyone who has gotten either vaccine. I wish they would be more specific about why the virus reactivates, if they know.
Do you not understand that one person out of two is an enormous number? That is very high risk. By age 85 the number is two out of three that will have had it.

As has been mentioned before, the exact mechanism by which the virus reactivates is unknown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Yes, 1 person and she was about 65 and just into retirement and took on a new puppy and the stress of training that dog put her into shingles...we've talked about it and she pretty much agreed. Being up all hours of the night with a crying puppy. Cleaning up pee/poop from a puppy. At 65 or so...it would be like bringing a new baby into your care at that age.
It was probably her age that was the risk factor, not the puppy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I get NO vaccines period. And I"m not your greatest fan of pharma. That is why.

I think everyone should do what they feel is right for them, get it or not...I prefer not to add toxins to my body IF I can help it. We get enough from so many other things why add more.

It takes some work on our part to keep that immune system healthy and keep and work on being able to handle stress. Some can't it's true, so the drugs. Pharma needs those people. Pharma doesn't like people like me.
There are no toxins in vaccines.

There is nothing you can do to "keep that immune system healthy and keep and work on being able to handle stress" that will guarantee you will not get shingles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Combination of factors. Stress, too many medications, and one vaccine (chicken pox) creating the need for another.

Before the chicken pox vaccine, adults were constantly being exposed to chicken pox from their children, grandchildren, and even great-grandchildren. All that constant expose acted as a booster to prevent shingles. We've eliminated that, so now we need another vaccine.

So why did my husband get shingles, despite being vaccinated, AND having children with it? Well, as a Dad with daughters he was not the one touching their pox, bathing/drying them, washing their bedding and clothes with bare hands. Mothers are far more up close and personal with the children and will have more exposure to their illnesses.

How long does this "booster" last? Who knows? I won't be getting a second booster from my vaccinated grandkids as my grandma, and even my great-grandma got from me.
The idea that vaccinating children against chickenpox will increase the incidence of shingles in adults has been debunked.

https://www.cdc.gov/shingles/hcp/clinical-overview.html

"Herpes zoster rates are increasing among adults in the United States. The increase has been gradual over a long period of time. We do not know the reason for this increase.[5,6,7]

Some experts suggest that exposure to varicella boosts a personís immunity to VZV and reduces the risk for VZV reactivation. Thus, they are concerned that routine childhood varicella vaccination, recommended in the United States in 1996, could lead to an increase in herpes zoster in adults due to reduced opportunities for being exposed to varicella. However, two CDC studies have found that herpes zoster rates:
  • started increasing before varicella vaccine was introduced in the United States, and
  • did not accelerate after the routine varicella vaccination program started"

Old 05-12-2018, 06:18 PM

23,785 posts, read 8,287,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFW46 View Post
And then there are those who continue to push for say vaccines and never worked with holistic healing for their bodies.

Old 05-12-2018, 06:21 PM

23,433 posts, read 28,289,218 times
Quote:
Oh you mean just like the posters here who want everyone to have the vaccine?
Anyone who wants to accept the risk of getting shingles and perhaps postherpetic neuralgia is free to do so.

The reasons posted here to not take the vaccine do not seem to be based on any science, more just being anti-vaccine in general.

By the way, the PHN is the real reason for shingles vaccination. If shingles really were only an itchy rash that lasted a week or two then we probably would not have the vaccine. The truth is that PHN is a terrible condition that drives some people to suicide. If you can handle the risk of that, skip the vaccine.

Old 05-12-2018, 11:55 PM

1,613 posts, read 1,125,470 times
Ever heard of trigeminal neuralgia? It's also known as the suicide disease because so many sufferers kill themselves. I had shingles in my early fifties -- a fairly mild case on the top of my head and face. The itching and burning were no fun, but I had one brief stab of pain in the trigeminal nerve behind my eye that was so excruciating, I would have run off the road if I'd been driving. I can't image living with that kind of pain on an ongoing basis. And that's one of the possible after-effects of shingles.

Just another vote for getting the vaccine.

Old 05-13-2018, 06:51 AM

1,815 posts, read 1,138,989 times
I've said it before and I'll say it again, I have received both of the Shingrix injections, the last about a month ago I think. I had a little stronger reaction to the second one, but, nothing to really speak of. If someone is all paranoid about getting this injection, far be it from me to intrude, but, I just began this thread, well heck, I don't even remember, exactly why I started it except that I got a mild case of shingles and it was the worst, long lasting won't stop, kind of pain I have ever had and I just wanted to tell the story. Anyway, I don't think anyone that gets the injection will need to worry.

Old 05-13-2018, 10:21 AM

2,617 posts, read 1,367,348 times
One of the main benefits of vaccines is that the long-term effect of everyone using them means that particular disease can pretty well be eliminated. Vaccines for very contagious diseases like polio have made a step change in society. People who don't take vaccines have been protected by figuratively leaning on the backs of everyone else who took them, as this created a more disease-free environment for them as well as for everyone else.

I'm not saying shingles is in that highly dangerous category; but it is slightly contagious and therefore, the fewer cases of it around, obviously the less chances of the contagion spreading to others.

Old 05-13-2018, 05:03 PM

6,388 posts, read 3,587,357 times
Seniors are a more vulnerable population for marketing to the shingles vaccination than the general population is for a potential Lyme, West Nile, or Zika vaccine. Not profitable.

You only have to compare the Flu vaccination rates of young adults to Seniors to see the difference. The biggest obstacle for Shingles vaccination (30% rates) is probably more a cost factor in the difference in flu and shingles vaccination rates. If it was made free under Part B Medicare like Flu Shots, the uptake probably would be much higher. However, to some of us that would not matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or