Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2018, 10:24 PM

13,975 posts, read 25,820,403 times

Advertisements

I've had shingles in my eye twice in the past 5 years. The first time I had one blister near my eye brow, no other symptoms until I lost the vision in that eye. It took about 18 months of treatment to get my sight back. And then the shingles returned. No symptoms at all this time, just the loss of vision. I may need a corneal transplant, although some of my sight has come back, it nowhere close to what it was.

I don't think I can get the vaccine yet, as I still take Valacylovir daily. I've gotten conflicting information between my ophthalmologist and my PCP. I'm so concerned about my eye that I'm following the ophthalmologist's recommendation to wait.

Old 05-07-2018, 10:45 PM

36,961 posts, read 40,902,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
I've had shingles in my eye twice in the past 5 years. The first time I had one blister near my eye brow, no other symptoms until I lost the vision in that eye. It took about 18 months of treatment to get my sight back. And then the shingles returned. No symptoms at all this time, just the loss of vision. I may need a corneal transplant, although some of my sight has come back, it nowhere close to what it was.

I don't think I can get the vaccine yet, as I still take Valacylovir daily. I've gotten conflicting information between my ophthalmologist and my PCP. I'm so concerned about my eye that I'm following the ophthalmologist's recommendation to wait.
Since the Shingrix vaccine contains no live virus, the valacyclovir should make no difference. I doubt the manufacturer has any info on it, though.

Old 05-08-2018, 09:56 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,863,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
Again, no mention of the genesis of "flare-up" or symptoms.

Not everyone goes on to get shingles, so what is the trigger for those who do?
Not everyone gets Cancer even if they smoke, or Lung Disease even if they worked with Asbestos or many other diseases and yet there's people that get diseases out of the blue with no apparent reason.

Genetics maybe? We just don't know yet...

Old 05-08-2018, 02:19 PM

1,521 posts, read 1,162,216 times
FWIW - I just spoke with the Walgreens in my town and they are out of Shingrex. Maybe in a month or so they'll have more. Just have to keep checking.

I have Blue Cross/Blue Shield and they told me today that most insurance companies have dropped that 60 year old minimum for them to pay for it completely. They said as long as you're over 50, most insurance companies will cover it since its considered "preventative". It's a two-dose immunization, with 2nd dose given 2 to 5 months after the first shot. $160 per dose, so $320 for both, but BXBS pays for it completely with no co-pay or any deductible to be met.

So that's good news. Now if I can just find a Walgreens that has it in stock!

Now, a word about Valacylovir (Valtrex)... I rushed to the doc on the morning of the 2nd day of my shingles outbreak and they started me on Valacylorvir right then. I will say that if it did any good, I couldn't tell it. I was still in intense pain that lasted about 2-3 weeks before it began to abate and the pox to begin to heal (another 3-4 weeks). So I wouldn't necessarily rely on that drug alone to help you. Maybe if you start on the 1st day, but it took me a day to figure out it was shingles since I really didn't know anything about it prior to getting it. I thought it was an "old persons" disease and at 55, I thought I was way too young to be getting it. But honestly, I had no idea how it presented, what the symptoms were, what it looked or felt like. I felt lucky that I figured it out on the 2nd day, rather than on day 4 or 5.

I am NOT one to rush to the doc with every little ache or pain. In fact, I try to avoid the medical profession like the plague if I possibly can (altho if I had the plague, I'd probably make an exception ). That said, getting this vaccine is a definitely exception to that rule. If there is any chance at all that it prevents shingles or lessen it's severity, it's worth its weight in gold. Having had shingles, I would advise anyone over the age of 50 to get this new version of vaccine. I wouldn't wish this condition on my worst enemy (ok, well maybe my WORST...).

But immunization (most of them) is where the medical field has really excelled and made an enormous contribution to the health and longevity of all domestic living creatures. I know some vaccines for children are very controversial, but just speaking for this one, I'm thankful it's available and plan to take full advantage of it.

Old 05-08-2018, 03:55 PM

1,886 posts, read 1,824,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Lysine is good for prevention purposes. Other calmers too to keep one's stress levels down and manageable. Cheap prevention.
I take Lysine supplements to ward off cold sores because I used to get them Alot!
Ever since I started taking Lysine my cold sores are few and far between.

I certainly don't want the Shingles so I may look into that new shot. I have heard Shingles is really something you don't want to deal with.

Old 05-08-2018, 04:09 PM

1,886 posts, read 1,824,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs.cool View Post
Y'all are making me wish for my 60th birthday now instead of in November so I can get the shingles vaccine! I had a very serious case of chicken pox as a kid. Sick as a dog and blisters EVERYWHERE. And I seriously mean everywhere.
You don't have to wait until your 60 to get the shot

Old 05-08-2018, 08:58 PM

26,635 posts, read 28,427,436 times
I had an aunt who got shingles later in life. She tried everything to get rid of it, even acupuncture. Nothing worked so her life became a nightmare. All she could do was lie on the couch with no clothing on.

Her skin was so sensitive she couldn't stand clothing to touch her. She would put a sheet over herself loosely out of modesty as she lay on the couch but only close relatives could come to visit her. Her life must have been a living Hell.

I don't know if that's what she died of. I do know that as an adult she had acquired a mild case of polio. Maybe that weakened her. I don't know. I just know that I never want to suffer like that poor woman did.

Old 05-08-2018, 09:51 PM

1,199 posts, read 919,146 times
I’ve heard similar stories from people I know about their experiences with shingles. I had my first shot of the new vaccine last month. BCBS covered it. I did have to get it at a drug store, as my doc doesn’t give it, not sure why, never went to the drug store for a shot before. But I don’t care, this thing can be so horrible, I’ll go wherever they send me for the vaccine. I think I already posted that the first shot was painful, as shots go, and sore for a few days, but nothing major, and again, think of the trade off. BijouBaby, thanks for sharing your experience with us. And in New England, sorry for your aunt, sounds like she had a dreadful time.

Old 05-09-2018, 06:24 AM

4,423 posts, read 7,328,844 times
I'm two days into my first shingrix shot, there's a follow-up booster required 2 to 6 months afterward. I've been on Advil every 4 hours since for the chills and bone aches and arm pain. It's not an easy vaccine but it's worth the protection.

Old 05-09-2018, 06:29 AM

4,423 posts, read 7,328,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Medicare is not going to pay for two Shrintix vaccinations for people over 65 who have already had the Zoster vaccination. Even with Part D or Medicare Advantage, my husband's co-pay for Zoster was around $100. In situations like that, how many Seniors will pay the full $300 to get Shrintix in addition?
Yes, it did. I go t my first Shingrix shot two days ago at CVS and I paid nothing. And I had the Zoster in 2010.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement