Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2018, 10:12 AM

11,175 posts, read 16,008,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Medicare is not going to pay for two Shrintix vaccinations for people over 65 who have already had the Zoster vaccination. Even with Part D or Medicare Advantage, my husband's co-pay for Zoster was around $100. In situations like that, how many Seniors will pay the full $300 to get Shrintix in addition?

Lower the age to 50 and get the unvaccinated younger people to get it, and make up the difference in rates, and profits.
That conspiracy theory garbage is just plain laughable.

Old 05-09-2018, 11:21 AM

757 posts, read 837,253 times
My understanding is once the CDC recommends a drug/vaccination then Medicare and other insurances will soon pick up the tab. My second stab is in two months. I know some folks whose quality of life has been ruined due to shingles. Post Herpetic neuralgia is horrible and virtually untreatable. We spend money on stuff that winds up in a yard sale. Get the shots no matter what. Why run the risk? The stats suggest that 1 of 3 will contract shingles.

Old 05-09-2018, 11:51 AM

5,249 posts, read 3,604,666 times
Maybe the Medicare coverage varies on the Plan D one has selected?

Old 05-09-2018, 12:17 PM

1,544 posts, read 1,191,203 times
fyi - I just got the 1st shot at Walgreens today. Finally found one in my town that had Shingrix in stock. Unlike a previous post I read here, the actual shot experience is virtually painless. A couple hours after now and feel no side effects whatsoever, not even soreness at the injection site. The pharmacist who administered the shot said that the previous shingles vaccine WAS very painful with a lot of side effects. But not the newer Shingrix vaccine, and he said it is far more effective. I'll get the 2nd dose in July.

Go get the shot, guys! It's not painful and most insurance pays for it. Honestly though, knowing what I know, even if I had no insurance coverage at all, I'd find a way to scratch up the $160x2 somehow. Beg, borrow or steal. Never, never, never gettin' on that Shingles train again (if I can help it).

Btw, I was one of the unlucky 1/4 who suffered postherpetic neuralgia (PHN) intermittently for a couple of years afterward, but usually only if I got hot and sweaty which isn't hard to do since I live in a hot climate. Then the pock scars get sensitive across one side of my back and side where the original breakout was. It has slowly dissipated and is now mostly gone, thankfully. I'm hoping is will be gone completely in time.

PHN (or as I call it, Shingles - part II) - Another great reason to get the vaccine, cuz THAT's no fun either.

Old 05-09-2018, 12:21 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,123,322 times
Give it a few more hours, and you might want some tylenol on hand, just in case. For me the second day was worse than the first few hours afterwords.

Old 05-09-2018, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Give it a few more hours, and you might want some tylenol on hand, just in case. For me the second day was worse than the first few hours afterwords.
Would you please tell us what symptoms visited you on day 2 after your shot? Would like to know what I'm in for. Well, at least the shot itself was painless!

Old 05-09-2018, 12:49 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,123,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BijouBaby View Post
Would you please tell us what symptoms visited you on day 2 after your shot? Would like to know what I'm in for. Well, at least the shot itself was painless!
It wasn't horrible, but it was definitely uncomfortable. I got my shot in the early evening, pharmacist advised taking the tylenol before bed. I woke up later in the wee hours with some tenderness, and the injection site felt warm to the touch the next day, along with some stiffness and difficulty using my arm at work. When I get the second round I plan to take the following day off and have an ice pack ready, just in case.

Old 05-09-2018, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
It wasn't horrible, but it was definitely uncomfortable. I got my shot in the early evening, pharmacist advised taking the tylenol before bed. I woke up later in the wee hours with some tenderness, and the injection site felt warm to the touch the next day, along with some stiffness and difficulty using my arm at work. When I get the second round I plan to take the following day off and have an ice pack ready, just in case.
Wow. Good to know! Maybe I'll start the Advil now and through the evening, and bring an ice pack to work tomorrow. Arms were already sore from intense yard work yesterday. Maybe this inoculation pain will just blend in unnoticed with the existing soreness! (yeah, right...)

Old 05-09-2018, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Doesn't insurance cover it? They covered the old one, as long as you were age 50 or older. It's a lot cheaper to pay for that than the often complicated care required for Shingles.
Actually, once you have it, there really is no "complicated care" or expense to go to, or much to do at all except wait it out and try to make yourself as comfortable as possible. Pain drugs or holistic salves don't help much if at all. Like other viruses, only time cures it. That's the bummer of shingles. Think about a stomach virus... Nothing much to do but puke and wait. Same with shingles (tho no puking involved thankfully). Nothing to do but wait it out.

But my doc told me and others have attested that USUALLY, most people only contract it once. BUT, there are plenty of exceptions to this, AND there are no guarantees that you won't get it again. The virus is forever living dormant in nerve clusters near the spine, although inactive most of the time, unless your immune system is compromised and then the door is open for it to activate. Then Katy bar the door, cuz you're in for an experience you won't soon forget.

Old 05-09-2018, 02:20 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,885,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyRoos View Post
You don't have to wait until your 60 to get the shot
According to my insurance company I do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement