U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2018, 04:42 AM

8,618 posts, read 9,682,513 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgarden View Post
Meo: Look into a Medicare Advantage Plan. Not sure what they offer in your county but for me, it's the only way I can afford health insurance ! I have AARP United Health Care for $47 a month. My co pay for primary care doc (a NP right now) is $10. But RXs are very cheap. Got an antibiotic yesterday for $2.36 (Z Pac). BP rx is also very cheap. I use the grocery store (Frys) for RX. Never CVS. Too high. Be sure all your drugs are generics.

I hope this helps. Yes, the sun is good but not a cure-all. Also, you still are in moving stress. This takes time to get over and feel like you belong. Be kind to yourself. I have been here 11 months and still feel like it's a foreign country. And I only moved 100 miles north !!!

I have United Health Care too. I pay $250 a year over and above regular Medicare that comes out of my SS check. I don't pay for Part D because "low income"...or something. I have one med that would cost nearly $400 mo. but I pay $8.50. Another one is between $2,000-3,000 a month () and I pay $11.50. The other day, when I got my eye drops for the cataracts, I was told that one could cost $45+ but it only cost me $8.50 and the other was $3 something. I get all my prescriptions at Walmart, mostly because it's convenient, but also because it's cheap!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2018, 04:48 AM

8,618 posts, read 9,682,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgarden View Post
Here in AZ it gets too hot to use mail order for meds, unless you get to the mailbox the minute the mail arrives. This is true in summer when the heat reaches 110 on some days.

I have one med delivered to my house once a month. It's in a Styrofoam box with two ice packs and then into the cardboard box. The ice packs are still solid when it's delivered in the afternoon. Now I just have to figure out what to do with all those Styrofoam ice chests and the ice packs! I use one for my cat's food, and it's perfect, but I can just see these things piling up over the months. They each hold at least a six pack of beverages.

Old 02-11-2018, 05:14 AM

10,604 posts, read 14,202,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
Then the information I posted may help other people new to the situation or who have not heard of the mail order information previously.

(for people in the other 49 states who do not live in Arizona or those not in extreme heat climates)
Well, since the Original Poster moved to Arizona and the "helpful suggestion" do do mail order was aimed at her, it's relevant, no? Why get feelings hurt when the caveat is mentioned?

And I live in Florida: ditto.

The state with the third largest population in the country.

The ranking is:

California (Southern California is hot, too)
Texas (not hot?)
Florida (the hottest of the three, overall)

Other hot states:

Nevada
Lousiana
Mississippi
Alabama
Georgia
New Mexico - which happens to be right next to Arizona on a map

My insurance does incentive mail order, too. Luckily I don't take any meds to worry about it right now since my condo mail is outside. Once I ordered bacon, in the standard sealed wrapper and the entire mail box area smelled like bacon because it melted in the package and leaked through all over the company's packing box.

Last edited by runswithscissors; 02-11-2018 at 05:48 AM..

Old 02-11-2018, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
Runs with scissors, When I moved I had to get Arizona insurance. I was unaware at the time, thought blue cross would just switch me. Then it took awhile for the new one to kick in & I wasn't sure of a clinic to go to. All the changes took time.

I've actually been on medicare since I was 61 when my disability claim went through. I was in a car accident & had to have back surgery.

A lot of it was just not knowing how to go about doing things & then, procrastinating about getting things done. My own fault. It wasn't until I had two bad blood pressure readings that I knew I had to get serious.

I now have 2 months to look into prescription costs. I just looked & 2 of my prescriptions are for 90 days & 1 is for 60 days - so I guess it wasn't so bad after all. It was just sticker shock.

I have to go in next week for blood tests & have bp re-checked to make sure the pills are working right. I forgot to ask about vit d. Will do it then.
Thanks for the clarification and update.

Ask if the Vitamin D bloodwork is no extra cost. Not sure if it will be for you. The normal blood panels don't include it but your insurance might. OR they might not if there's not a diagnosis that calls for that. By that I mean if you had a DEXA scan for your bone density and it came out with Osteopenia or Osteoporosis, they'd possibly consider it a necessity. Or it may even be "cheap", I don't know, I did mine at home.

If you're low - like "under 30" (some say lower is okay but not really), you'll get a specific supplement of Vit D that is HIGH because it's hard to catch up. If you're not low, you can do what you've been doing. SUN intake is not as easy as they make it sound depending on your clothing LOL, but you're in the right state for that, too!

And ask about getting a DEXA scan for bone density if you haven't had one.

It's a simple thing, laying on a table...and will show if you are in a high risk status for breaking bones. Then you'll be told what to eat and take to save what bone mass you have.

It's not as simple as just gulping a bunch of calcium every day since too much of that can calcify in your arteries and cause strokes and stuff, AND you have to have the right ratio with magnesium, etc..

I rotate between Garden of Life Raw Calcium (food based) and NOW Calcium Hydroxyapatite Capsules from cow, and NOW Bone Strength from MCHA, because of all the different stuff you hear from "experts" including the medical people. But I also track my foods carefully in Cronometer, so I know if I need to take it or not based on what I ate that day.

You may be interested in using Cronometer because it alerts you about your sugar intake, sodium, vitamin & minerals intake...calcium and stuff by telling you how much you ate and it turns red if it's too much, yellow if it's too little, etc.

So if you drank 8 oz milk, you just select that in the Cronometer, and it does all the work tracking it for the day and telling you what it did for you nutritionally. It then tracks your totals, too, Total calories, Protein, Carb, Fats.

You can also enter your statistics every time you want. Like your blood pressure, weight, glucose, etc.

That's why eating dark leafy greens and besides the normal "salad" ones - like spinach, collard greens (the highest) and other vegetables like broccoli with high calcium is always more effective than pills from unnatural substances.

Milk's pros and cons are debatable.

Anyway, glad it wasn't as bad as you first thought, and hopefully you'll find other more affordable options now that you're in your new state.

That high blood pressure didn't help your response any, LOL! So now you'll feel better about everything, too!

Last edited by runswithscissors; 02-11-2018 at 06:15 AM..

Old 02-11-2018, 08:16 AM

21,561 posts, read 14,362,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
I put it off because a) I was dealing with the whole moving thing & b) I procrastinate

Finally, after having two high counts on blood pressure, I knew I needed to see someone because I ran out of bp medication a few months ago. Also dealing with depression which I'd hoped to get away from in moving to a warm, sunny climate. It helped some, but not enough.

It was good but...first they'd set me up with a nurse practitioner & my new card, with the new part b insurance had a different name on it. Thankfully I'd arrived early, but it took almost an hour to get that straightened out so I wouldn't end up paying $60 for private pay. I just wanted my bp & depression medication.

The NP was/is wonderful. We totally hit it off & she was super.

What wasn't/isn't super is that this new insurance costs me $58 per month & my co-pay for prescriptions is almost nonexistent. Ended up costing me $59 & change for 3 prescriptions.

Yup, the clinic visit itself was only $5 co- pay, so if you aren't sick is great.

I received an increase of $122 with the col in January. I guess, by best estimates, with the change in insurance costs & co-pays, I see a minus, not a plus.

Makes me sad that our government feels this is okay.

It may have been part d. I don't know. Whichever one we have to get.
You're complaining? Seriously?

Old 02-11-2018, 08:26 AM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,488 posts, read 2,074,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Sticker shock. Happens to the best of us.

Old 02-11-2018, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robino1 View Post
Sticker shock. Happens to the best of us.
Especially when you don't READ the sticker and see the script was for 60-90 days when you already have elevated blood pressure.

Old 02-11-2018, 09:23 AM

9,753 posts, read 7,035,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
Yes, it is definitely advantageous to use the mail order pharmacy provided by one's insurance, or to use Walmart.com's mail order pharmacy.

Mail order shipping cost is always free. And all the re-ordering and managing of the prescriptions is easily done online. It arrives in the U.S. mail.

And one could also use Walmart.com's mail order pharmacy. Walmart.com's mail order pharmacy sells blood pressure medication for $4.00 per month for a 30 day supply, $10 per month for a 90 day supply. That is so inexpensive that one doesn't even charge the cost to one's insurance company, but just pay out-of-pocket instead.

And Walmart.com's mail order pharmacy also has many other medications, just like a regular pharmacy, but often at very low prices of the $4 or $10. Shipping is always free. You could get your depression medication through this too

One's physician electronically sends the first set of prescription slips directly to the mail order pharmacy. Or you can mail in your prescription slips.
I notice that a number of the chain grocery stores in our neck of the woods have similar $4 for 30 days, and $10 for 90 day prescription drug plans for selective drugs. One of them, Publix, has a free prescription drug list, for some generic drugs ( including a couple often prescribed for hypertension, diabetes, depression, and antibiotics. These are the prices ( or free) with no insurance, and they are open to anyone.

I see Lisinopril is on the free list at Publix. My mother has no prescription drug coverage ( she never bothered signing up for a Part D plan when these became available, despite my trying to spoon feed her the information and trying to get her to do it. Oh well). So I have always shopped around, looked for coupons, to get her the lowest prices I could, and have discovered many of these programs. Since it's me who gets her her prescriptions, I plan to switch hers to Publix as her Lisinopril will be free and the other drugs she takes will be on their $7.50 for 90 days supply. And I will happily shop at Publix because I am grateful they have these programs.

I mention this because I would think grocery stores and big box retail stores in other parts of the country might have similar drug prescription programs. It's worth investigating, anyway, IMO.

Old 02-11-2018, 11:49 AM

4,972 posts, read 3,458,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
I know. Pretty silly huh? It was just different from what I'm used to. Sticker shock & culture shock, what can I say?

Old 02-11-2018, 12:08 PM

4,972 posts, read 3,458,710 times
Runs with scissors, I had the first bit d test 2 winters ago & ended up paying 70+for it. The next winter it was free as it was prediagnosed.

This new clinic didn't take down any info on my old clinic, which I thought was strange, but did take info about my pharmacy as I didn't have the milligram number & they called & got the numbers. So I don't know if the old diagnosis helps here or not.

The only reason I finally called was because I'd gotten a nose bleed, my sign of increased blood pressure & then the reading. I knew I had to get the pills & bring it down. Also the depression. I needed to get that taken care of.

With that, it was hard for me to know if it's real depression or just adjusting to the move & change in life. Thus, it was best to talk it over with a professional. I have had major depression a few times in my life & medication has helped.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or