Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2018, 11:03 AM

1,914 posts, read 2,227,645 times

Advertisements

There might be other supplemental or Medicare Advantage insurance that would reduce your copays. If your county or community has a senior center or other facility for assisting seniors, they may have someone who can help you find a better policy that covers your prescriptions. We have those here at the county level, and one of my neighbors volunteers there helping people choose insurance plans.

My supplemental plan works with Medicare and waives all deductibles and copays, so there are some good plans to be had, though the cost might be higher. My plan went up to $135/month this year, and I'm paying $348/month for Medicare part B, so your plans look quite reasonably priced from my perspective.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2018, 11:25 AM

7,020 posts, read 6,237,061 times
Runs with scissors, When I moved I had to get Arizona insurance. I was unaware at the time, thought blue cross would just switch me. Then it took awhile for the new one to kick in & I wasn't sure of a clinic to go to. All the changes took time.

I've actually been on medicare since I was 61 when my disability claim went through. I was in a car accident & had to have back surgery.

A lot of it was just not knowing how to go about doing things & then, procrastinating about getting things done. My own fault. It wasn't until I had two bad blood pressure readings that I knew I had to get serious.

I now have 2 months to look into prescription costs. I just looked & 2 of my prescriptions are for 90 days & 1 is for 60 days - so I guess it wasn't so bad after all. It was just sticker shock.

I have to go in next week for blood tests & have bp re-checked to make sure the pills are working right. I forgot to ask about vit d. Will do it then.

Old 02-10-2018, 11:34 AM

5,945 posts, read 5,088,484 times
There is so much information regarding health insurance. It can be very confusing. Trying to compare, compare, compare. And in my situation, the same insurance company changes benefits/premiums according to the zip code you live in. So it's just not very consistent.

The one thing I keep hearing is that it's better to use a mail order pharmacy that is offered by your insurance company. Several people here where I live use it and the cost is considerably lower.

Just another bit of information to consider. Good luck Meo. You have a lot going on. Good luck.

Old 02-10-2018, 02:10 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,541,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post

The one thing I keep hearing is that it's better to use a mail order pharmacy that is offered by your insurance company. Several people here where I live use it and the cost is considerably lower.
Yes, it is definitely advantageous to use the mail order pharmacy provided by one's insurance, or to use Walmart.com's mail order pharmacy.

Mail order shipping cost is always free. And all the re-ordering and managing of the prescriptions is easily done online. It arrives in the U.S. mail.

And one could also use Walmart.com's mail order pharmacy. Walmart.com's mail order pharmacy sells blood pressure medication for $4.00 per month for a 30 day supply, $10 per month for a 90 day supply. That is so inexpensive that one doesn't even charge the cost to one's insurance company, but just pay out-of-pocket instead.

And Walmart.com's mail order pharmacy also has many other medications, just like a regular pharmacy, but often at very low prices of the $4 or $10. Shipping is always free. You could get your depression medication through this too

One's physician electronically sends the first set of prescription slips directly to the mail order pharmacy. Or you can mail in your prescription slips.

Last edited by matisse12; 02-10-2018 at 02:30 PM..

Old 02-10-2018, 02:25 PM

6,954 posts, read 12,000,568 times
Here in AZ it gets too hot to use mail order for meds, unless you get to the mailbox the minute the mail arrives. This is true in summer when the heat reaches 110 on some days.

Old 02-10-2018, 02:29 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,541,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgarden View Post

Here in AZ it gets too hot to use mail order for meds, unless you get to the mailbox the minute the mail arrives. This is true in summer when the heat reaches 110 on some days.
But people who live in apartments often have indoor mail slots/boxes inside the building or in the lobby of the apartment building.
air-conditioned.

Last edited by matisse12; 02-10-2018 at 02:59 PM..

Old 02-10-2018, 02:38 PM

Not always.

Old 02-10-2018, 02:40 PM

Meo: Do you have a $150 deductible for prescriptions? If so, you have to pay that amount first, and then your drugs will be normal in price. (I looked up the plans available in your area.)

Old 02-10-2018, 02:51 PM

7,020 posts, read 6,237,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
But people who live in apartments have indoor mail slots/boxes in the lobby of the apartment building.
air-conditioned.
Ours are outside. Right now the pharmacy I used is in the clinic building & right across the street from my bank so, at this moment, it's a win-win for me convenience wise. The time frame also gives me low stress.

There is so much to take into account when moving to a new state! I've only lived outside Minnesota once & I didn't have a car, in San Francisco you really didn't need one, & I stayed with family until I was situated. Plus I was a lot younger.

Now there was social security, health care insurance, & car insurance to change, as well as getting to know state driving laws & other state information.

Next on the list is getting my taxes done. Thankfully there is help for low income & seniors. I didn't get a statement from the office here but in Minnesota there are rent credits so will receive something back from that. Not much, just a few $100, but every bit helps.

Hopefully, after that I can relax & start visiting the great outdoors I'm now living in.

One thing the NP (who's from Chicago) & I talked about, was that, just as there are winter hobbies when you're kept inside, just switch them to summer hobbies. Works for me.

Old 02-10-2018, 02:56 PM

2,838 posts, read 3,167,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
I tried the Vitamin D and it really upset my stomach. Hopefully we will be done with this gloomy weather by next week.
Try a different brand of Vit D
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement