U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2018, 03:25 PM

2,834 posts, read 894,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willamette City View Post
I'm not even 65 yet, but I find myself tearing up about everything. My wife says good morning and smiles and I can feel the "shiny eyes" starting. I listen to a song I like and BAM, here come the tears! Things don't have to be sad, in fact, sad is not part of it at all, but there is some emotional connection that brings it on. I'm really hoping that I'm not that unique. If I am, that's okay too.

You are normal. I am older too, and read an article one time about how a certain part of our brain , that controls emotions, changes with age, and especially after a stroke. I too tear up much easier than when I was younger, and it bothers me at times because it happens at the slightest thing that might not even be sad.

Only good thing about it, at least we won't suffer from dry eye syndrome !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2018, 03:42 PM

1,456 posts, read 1,158,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
I think (no medical degree here) that it a change in hormones. Immediate suspect would be declining testorone but its probably more complicated than that.
Yes, it is due to changes in hormones.

https://science.howstuffworks.com/li...ns/crying2.htm

Quote:
According to Women's Health Magazine, in middle age, men begin to cry more and get angry less, while women experience the exact opposite. This is due in large part to our old pals testosterone and estrogen, which begin to decline in men and women respectively and help to even out the playing field.
Besides hormones, social conditioning plays a role. I think as people get older, they are truer to themselves and become less influenced by others.

https://www.quora.com/Does-testosterone-inhibit-crying

Quote:
Does testosterone inhibit crying?

Yes. Testosterone helps raise the threshold between emotional stimulus and the shedding of tears.

As you suspected, social conditioning also plays a part. Boys are taught from a young age not to cry, explicitly and implicitly...

With aging, things will change again later on in life; testosterone levels will decrease. Additionally, feelings on altruism, camaraderie and morality also encourage crying in men.

Old 02-10-2018, 04:17 PM

2,214 posts, read 1,354,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
Everyone knows people can cry with music, dancing, any arts.

NOT when their wife randomly walks into the room and says "Good Morning".

Or "about everything".

AT AGE 64! (or less, the OP only said he's not 65 yet)
He could just be a bit overwhelmed when he realizes how much he loves and appreciates his wife, while at the same time getting to an age where he realizes it won't last forever. That's enough to make a person cry.

Old 02-10-2018, 04:52 PM

13,051 posts, read 15,412,261 times
That happened to my dad. Growing up I never saw him cry other than when my grandma died and he was never emotional. In his old age, though, he became very emotional and sentimental and cried easily.

Old 02-10-2018, 08:15 PM

5,242 posts, read 2,091,509 times
I feel that crying is a natural release for anyone at any age. It seems that if one would allow themselves to have a good cry, it will get it out of their system for a while. I have never liked that boys would be told to suppress their emotional response to something and don't mind that a man can be moved emotionally. Maybe as men age, all that suppression ceases. I think that some people are inclined to feel things more than others or can be prompted due to some physical changes. Crying can occur just due to built up aggravation or frustration.

Just to mention, being female, I have found I did way more crying seemingly for no reason, prior to menopause, which hormones had a hand in. Still an emotional person, it is not quite as it once was...as long as I do not see a movie involving a dog, sad images of animals or an otherwise very touching scene in a film.

* Just to add, after posting, I saw the posts above that confirm these thoughts. It seems the way men begin feeling is the way women hormonally feel through their 20's-50's.

Last edited by In2itive_1; 02-10-2018 at 08:21 PM.. Reason: Addition.

Old 02-11-2018, 07:11 AM

10,326 posts, read 4,887,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Do yourself a favor, if you flip channels and find yourself on Old Yeller keep on flipping.

Another one to avoid: "Hatchi - A Dog's Tale".

Old 02-11-2018, 08:24 AM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,488 posts, read 2,080,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
PBA is inappropriate emotional response for no reason. There's nothing inappropriate about learning to experience emotion and to have or express feelings about things after a long lifetime of keeping them bottled up because it's not adult, or professional, or macho, or whatever. No disrespect meant to the poster caring for the elderly or her knowledge over time.
She's a dog walker for elderly clients. She doesn't have a medical background. She only relates to what she has 'observed' in her dealings with the elderly that she sees during job duties as a dog walker.

Old 02-11-2018, 09:22 AM

6,130 posts, read 9,095,981 times
Anyone remember John Boehner (sp?) former Speaker of the House?? He was always crying over something.

Old 02-11-2018, 01:39 PM

4,668 posts, read 3,713,849 times
I'm 71, and the heightened emotional responses started about a year ago. I chalk it up to hormonal changes and the existential awareness that the story of my life is approaching the final chapter. Everything is sweeter when you're under a death sentence.

Old 02-11-2018, 02:44 PM

577 posts, read 446,530 times
It's not just old men. I am "only" 62 and a woman, but having lost three out of four parental figures (parents were divorced and only my father's widow remains) and a husband, I find myself getting weepy when I remember things about them. You never know what's going to remind you.

I was watching "Roots" last night and when the part where Kunta Kinte's father holds him up and says "Behold the only thing greater than yourself", I remembered how my stepfather, who died in 2000, used to hoist their 80-pound rottweiler up in the air and do that. We thought it was hilarious. He had an oddball sense of humor like that, and I remembered how much I miss him.

I think this is just what happens when you get older and more of your life takes place in the past.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement