U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2018, 06:49 PM

3,967 posts, read 1,110,578 times

Advertisements

I'm not even 65 yet, but I find myself tearing up about everything. My wife says good morning and smiles and I can feel the "shiny eyes" starting. I listen to a song I like and BAM, here come the tears! Things don't have to be sad, in fact, sad is not part of it at all, but there is some emotional connection that brings it on. I'm really hoping that I'm not that unique. If I am, that's okay too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2018, 07:11 PM

381 posts, read 352,338 times
I am 75 and I have started doing the exact same thing. Don't know why. I started this "weepy" bit about three years ago.

Old 02-09-2018, 07:41 PM

5,926 posts, read 2,887,264 times
I'm not old (well relative definition I'm in my 40s) but do get more teary over situations than I used to. I had a friend who theorized it was because we took a lot of ecstasy when partying in our 30s and it permanently altered whatever serotonin blah whatever but I'm pretty skeptical of that.

I roll with it, no worries being the teary eyed dude walking out of theater with teary eyed wife.

Old 02-09-2018, 07:49 PM

3,967 posts, read 1,110,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
I'm not old (well relative definition I'm in my 40s) but do get more teary over situations than I used to. I had a friend who theorized it was because we took a lot of ecstasy when partying in our 30s and it permanently altered whatever serotonin blah whatever but I'm pretty skeptical of that.

I roll with it, no worries being the teary eyed dude walking out of theater with teary eyed wife.
I have never taken Ecstasy (pretty much everything else), and I think I started getting more emotional in my 40's also, not weepy emotional, but a little more empathetic. It's really the last several years that it's gotten out of control and a little embarrassing. Actually, watching another man cry isn't disturbing at all, it's only when I do it! Go figure...

Old 02-09-2018, 07:50 PM

23,691 posts, read 8,235,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willamette City View Post
I'm not even 65 yet, but I find myself tearing up about everything. My wife says good morning and smiles and I can feel the "shiny eyes" starting. I listen to a song I like and BAM, here come the tears! Things don't have to be sad, in fact, sad is not part of it at all, but there is some emotional connection that brings it on. I'm really hoping that I'm not that unique. If I am, that's okay too.
Does this bother you? My friend who is 72 has recently started tearing and I'm thinking it's due to a new doctor changing her long used thyroid med to a different one. One of many symptoms of sluggish thyroid is teary instances. I gather you are male, and they have sluggish thyroids too. When I was going thru my long battle and was getting help in about 2002, I had a male friend who was working with his thyroid too. We were comparing notes and he put me on to a book about HypoT that was a lifesaver.

Old 02-09-2018, 08:04 PM

2,198 posts, read 1,341,203 times
I remember going through a time like that. It passed, for the most part.

But a few days ago I watched the SpaceX rocket go up, and then the boosters landed perfectly like the old sci fi rockets. I cried, thinking that back in the late 60s/early 70s we were so full of hope about space exploration. I felt sad that now they are finally making progress and I probably won't live to see us go back to the moon or to mars. In my mind, it should have happened by now.

Old 02-10-2018, 01:17 AM

4,381 posts, read 1,663,688 times
I would not want to be a person who does not cry at the movies. And country music.

Old 02-10-2018, 02:55 AM

3,298 posts, read 1,343,486 times
I went through a weepy stage, too, in my 50s. It lasted a few years and then just ebbed. Reading this thread, it doesn't seem to be about age so it must relate to other things. I do find I have more compassion as I age, but it doesn't make me weepy.

Old 02-10-2018, 05:01 AM

2,440 posts, read 1,060,930 times
This happened to my DH, after his stroke. It is known as emotional lability and several other medical terms.

I have been like this my whole life (F) and it was kind of nice to have him join me in "tearing up". I remember one time we were watching some cheesy holiday Hallmark movie on TV, and we both teared up near the end, and turned and looked at each other and burst out laughing BECAUSE it was so cheesy.

I don't feel bad about getting weepy in public anymore - it's just an emotion, part of being human. It passes.

Old 02-10-2018, 05:45 AM

12,686 posts, read 14,068,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
I went through a weepy stage, too, in my 50s. It lasted a few years and then just ebbed. Reading this thread, it doesn't seem to be about age so it must relate to other things. I do find I have more compassion as I age, but it doesn't make me weepy.
I'm an eighty year old man, and though I have had close relationships during my life, been involved in hands-on work with dying people and get looked at sideways for some of the compassionate attitudes I express, I have not cried since 1987. There are certainly occasions when I feel depression or disappointment but I do not cry (these occur more often in the months of bad weather), and many times I feel a welling up of wonder and joy that makes me feel "weepy" (doesn't seem like quite the right phrase, but I can't think of another at the moment.)

The death of loved ones in my early fifties, plus the constant exposure to dying and death in the volunteer work I did became close to unbalancing a life that had little ballast. And at that point I began to really try to understand "how things work" all over again from as close to scratch as possible, questioning, examining and discarding sixty-some years of what I had been told, formally taught and just absorbed. (I do believe that that this same experience would very likely have been part of my ageing in any case, even without the unusual amount of death-related stress in a concentrated period. But perhaps the process of re-examination would have felt considerably less urgent and taken longer to get off the ground.)

I love being out in the natural world, it brings me joy and keeps me curious and thoughtful, so I get up early and go out before most people are up. Without getting all airy-fairy about it, I think this habit has become a great re-charger of my battery. I don't just trot through it, but stop look, poke around, breathe and look and listen to it grow, change and vanish in new ways every day. It is wonderful, but I can't make the natural world do what I want, or stop it at a phase or time that I greatly enjoy...it always changes, it always moves on, and it is always dying just as much as it is living.

More and more since the late 1980s I see and feel about the world of human activities in the same way. Scrape off the thick layer of emotional BS, the drama about nothing, the hysteria over everything...and like it or not it is just part of the natural world...and that to me is a great reassurance. It operates in the same way - it comes and just as certainly goes, day by day, year by year and everything in it disappears at some point.

I think a lot of my own pain and even just tearfulness about things came from holding on to what cannot be held onto, and that wasted - fruitless - effort was/is just as much of a problem as those events I labeled "problem." Tenaciously not letting go was as much of a problem as the events and emotions that I seemed to be trying to turn into some chimera called "forever."

Thinking of what the OP wrote, perhaps the "shiny eyes," etc. are a symptom of being able to let go....to feel and move with life in a way that perhaps he wasn't in the past.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement