U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2018, 08:47 PM

446 posts, read 283,038 times

Advertisements

Bette, you put the biggest smile on my face Iíve had all day, just such a happy feeling to read about you stepping out into a life that youíve long wanted to try. My guess is it will come naturally to you as you gradually make yourself more available for social opportunities. May all your overtures towards friends and socializing be met with welcome and warmth!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2018, 07:55 AM

23,634 posts, read 17,606,575 times
Many working age people have to sacrifice on something to provide for themselves and their families, and then discover themselves again as those commitments subside.

Old 02-12-2018, 09:53 AM

6,330 posts, read 5,069,672 times
Always enjoy reading your posts.

Go for your dream!

Old 02-12-2018, 10:22 AM

23,785 posts, read 8,301,716 times
I found out that my acrylic abstract painting works are not too shabby, many compliment my work and now I'm even giving them away to people who come into my apt and remark how much they like my work...I say, which one would you like and they walk out with a painting...I painted from 2003-2006 and loved it and love giving them away now.

My major love is keeping myself healthy and learning more and more what helps this aging body.

Old 02-12-2018, 10:47 AM

3,697 posts, read 1,876,337 times
After almost three months, I am always super busy. The days go by so fast being retired. I cannot believe how much time work took up - literally no life.

Super happy!

Old 02-12-2018, 02:05 PM

7,713 posts, read 4,738,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
I needed them. I feel quite down today. Not sure why.
Possibly the feeling that you must work 80-90 hours a week. Or feeling as though you're never going to get out from under this burden.

I can't imagine how wearing that must be.

Old 02-12-2018, 02:58 PM

2,007 posts, read 2,021,287 times
Go out to meetup.com and look at all the groups in your area. Lots of ideas there. . .

Old 02-12-2018, 03:36 PM

1,815 posts, read 1,139,621 times
Quote:
This is something I envision for myself in the future. I've always been the background person, the one with the disability, the one who had to work super extra hard to just make what others made, the one who had to help parents financially (even though eventually one other sib did the same), etc.

IOW, it's never been my time.

I've missed out on tons of social experiences because I had to work; had to cut college short b/c parents needed financial help (took 14 years to do what should have been done in 4). My husband did the typical college years (community college, 2 years away and an MBA) so he had that.

I've been trying to think about when I was 14-15 (before working because I had to) and think about what my interests were. I don't want to be bored in retirement. I would like to find activities or a community that would have a lot of options and where we would fit in.

That would be my plan over the next 5 years or so.

Have you seen anyone who was just kind of a mouse blossom in the later years? My siblings are very social, have tons of friends and their kids have turned out well. My two kids are doing OK. No drugs with any of the kids or their cousins so I'm grateful none of them went down that road.

If I say anything to a sibling about wanting to expand socially, they just laugh and say "you?" Get real or something like that....they don't mean to be nasty but just think all I want to do is work all the time.

I don't view this as a pity party - I just want to take the next 5 years and work towards a successful, busy, fun filled retirement. I want the social stuff though.
I never was too impressive of a person, but, I feel fairly certain I am becoming a cartoon character version of my former self. I look in the mirror and I see it. I listen to my daughters remarks about me and I hear it. Growing old doesn't seem to be for the weak and faint of heart. Did I mention bouts of increased pain? Just another perspective.

Old 02-12-2018, 03:55 PM

30,693 posts, read 49,488,800 times
Quote:
... IOW, it's never been my time.

I've missed out on tons of social experiences because I had to work;
My career was spent mostly living underwater. Movies came out, were popular and forgotten before I surfaced and got a chance to even hear of them.

Everytime we surfaced the crew was always excited to hear the latest songs on the radio. From one time in-port to the next, all the popular songs would be different.

I have had a number of girlfriends, who 4 months later, had no room in their lives for me again. You can not disappear for months at a time and expect a girl to still have a spot in her life for you. The same goes for wives. Most wives want more than an occasional visitor who drops in briefly every few months.

For me, retirement has been great!

I have actually been able now to live fulltime with my wife. Our children are all adults and gone now, I missed most of their childhoods. Which is sad for me.

Old 02-12-2018, 05:42 PM

5,177 posts, read 8,703,964 times
Smile Not that bad.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Possibly the feeling that you must work 80-90 hours a week. Or feeling as though you're never going to get out from under this burden.

I can't imagine how wearing that must be.
I just have goals that I have to get to and am determined to get there. I've had to do it since I was 15 so I kind buried my own emotions and just kept on, the next payment, the next bill.

I think yesterday I was just disappointed in something I did - trying to cut out carbs and actually ate a baked potato with olive oil Saturday night and I did regret it. I did not sleep well and it had been 26 days with no carbs. So now, I have learned my lesson.

We were on track to be in a better position than we are but were derailed. Now, I'm starting to get back there but it will take at least 5 years with much strictness.

Also, losing weight is helping a bit. Just want to be super healthy, get back in shape (used to be pre 2006) and stay healthy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement