U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-12-2018, 11:12 AM
 
Location: next up where ever I go
588 posts, read 344,665 times
Reputation: 2087

Advertisements

I sub a couple times a week. The pay sucks and "some" of the kids are violent.

On the other hand, I only work at certain schools where I am treated with a modicum of respect. The other schools I will never darken their doors I don't care that they need subs so badly.

Here's a tip....work with the special education department. Surprisingly you will have an easier time and the kids can be a lot of fun. Many do not like special ed and I believe it is because they are afraid of the disabilities the kids bring to the class. It freaks them out. Not me. Don't know why. Just strange behavior and unfortunately strange looking kids scare some people away. Don't understand it.

I would not work in one of the "special" schools since so many of the kids have real violent outbursts and it gets really old after a while. I know...been there done that.

I work at one school that has an intervention specialist that I made it a point to get to know.

Last week I called her since my class of 4th graders got the memo on how to treat the sub like you know what. I just said "Hi such and such, its me,...would you come down here and scare these kids for me?" She burst out laughing.

She came down and blasted them with the RESPECT YOUR TEACHER sermon and they quieted down a bit. After she left they looked up at me and said in frank disbelief...YOU KNOW MS. SUCH AND SUCH! Shocked the heck out of them. It was priceless!

Ms. Such and Such ended up spending the rest of the afternoon in my class because she likes me and I like and respect her. The kids got a real lesson that day. YOU KNOW MS SUCH and SUCH!

I told them, yeah, and I know your principle too! And they know me!

Priceless! Keeps me coming back!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-12-2018, 11:41 AM
 
6,313 posts, read 5,053,602 times
Reputation: 12820
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMKSarah View Post
I sub a couple times a week. The pay sucks and "some" of the kids are violent.

On the other hand, I only work at certain schools where I am treated with a modicum of respect. The other schools I will never darken their doors I don't care that they need subs so badly.

Here's a tip....work with the special education department. Surprisingly you will have an easier time and the kids can be a lot of fun. Many do not like special ed and I believe it is because they are afraid of the disabilities the kids bring to the class. It freaks them out. Not me. Don't know why. Just strange behavior and unfortunately strange looking kids scare some people away. Don't understand it.

I would not work in one of the "special" schools since so many of the kids have real violent outbursts and it gets really old after a while. I know...been there done that.

I work at one school that has an intervention specialist that I made it a point to get to know.

Last week I called her since my class of 4th graders got the memo on how to treat the sub like you know what. I just said "Hi such and such, its me,...would you come down here and scare these kids for me?" She burst out laughing.

She came down and blasted them with the RESPECT YOUR TEACHER sermon and they quieted down a bit. After she left they looked up at me and said in frank disbelief...YOU KNOW MS. SUCH AND SUCH! Shocked the heck out of them. It was priceless!

Ms. Such and Such ended up spending the rest of the afternoon in my class because she likes me and I like and respect her. The kids got a real lesson that day. YOU KNOW MS SUCH and SUCH!

I told them, yeah, and I know your principle too! And they know me!

Priceless! Keeps me coming back!
Yes! That is who I sub with - special ed and life skills kids. They are so sweet! Sometimes I have to take them to a regular class and while the other kids treat them well, they (other kids) can be loud.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-12-2018, 02:24 PM
 
Location: next up where ever I go
588 posts, read 344,665 times
Reputation: 2087
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
Yes! That is who I sub with - special ed and life skills kids. They are so sweet! Sometimes I have to take them to a regular class and while the other kids treat them well, they (other kids) can be loud.
Loud is the least of the problems.

What you are doing is called "shadowing"

The belief is is that the special ed kid needs to interact with the "normal" kids as a part of their development.

I have seen so many kids be in the "normal" environment that really need to be in special ed they are so off the wall. Well, I watch who has the scissors or any other pointy objects. Also, how big they are. I am not big but these kids are bigger than me and they are only now entering the dreaded early teens wrought with hormones gone ballistic.

Lord....get four girls together and then the drama goes on forever and you cannot SHUT THEM UP.

Reality TV was never better.

Some schools have time out rooms. Reflection rooms, the Principle's office where they get out their poker cards and play poker for the rest of the afternoon.

It is another world.

Right now I jokingly say I am a volunteer in the quest for this kids to learn. Believe me, there are kids that want to learn and what they have to put up with to get that learning is a blasted crime.

I have actually had kids come to me to complain that they can't learn because of the constant distractions from their classmates. I can only do so much. At least they do complain. They know they are not getting what should be rightfully theirs.

Well, I will get off my soap box.

Peace!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-12-2018, 02:27 PM
 
Location: interior Alaska
4,485 posts, read 3,318,359 times
Reputation: 13786
Nowadays almost every school district has a computerized substitute placement system. You should be able to choose which schools, grade levels, subjects, and even specifically which teachers/paras you're interested in subbing for, and then only get alerts when it's something you're up for doing. Of course, being selective will cut into how much money you can make at it, especially since the classes you like are probably classes other subs like as well, and they might get dibs on you. But if you're just doing it for pocket change, that's not a big concern.

How pleasant subbing is really depends on how pleasant the school is, and also on your own level of adaptability.

Consider throwing preconceived notions out the window - a lot of classes people think will be fun to sub for can be horrific (e.g. elementary art, oh man) while some subjects and grade levels people are cautious about can be downright pleasant (e.g. middle school SPED).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-12-2018, 02:29 PM
 
Location: next up where ever I go
588 posts, read 344,665 times
Reputation: 2087
I have also had kids ask when I was coming back and others that asked if they could come home with me.

Why. Because their mother does not want them.

Then I have the little ones that run up to me for a hug. I tell this one Principle I want to know how much you are paying these kids to come up to me at the end of the day and start waving, running out of line to hug me, the worst during the day leaving a drawing saying they love me. I tell them I want the same salary.

OK, enough for one day.

Peace again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-12-2018, 03:20 PM
Status: "Support the Mining Law of 1872" (set 9 days ago)
 
Location: Cody, WY
9,577 posts, read 10,923,342 times
Reputation: 19205
When I lived in Colorado, I taught Latin and Greek to small groups of home-schooled children for several years. I enjoyed it very much. However, I must point out that they were intelligent and motivated, very different from most children. The atmosphere was essentially the same as that of a university class. I would never consider bothering with the average.

Last edited by Happy in Wyoming; 02-12-2018 at 03:43 PM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-12-2018, 05:23 PM
 
394 posts, read 156,937 times
Reputation: 1103
I started out as a substitute teacher and some of the students were unruly and terrible. Others were decently good. I could teach any class. I liked history and English as a second language. Some teachers and certain schools called me often and would eventually ask me if I wanted to work there. Teaching children who were hard to deal with was not my idea of a fun job. I was asked to be a substitute teacher at a local Adult school. I taught English as a Second Language. I was decently good at it, so the principal offered me a part-time job. That was 11 years ago, and I love working there. The adult students want to learn, and they treat me like royalty. The reason: That is how it is done in other countries. The actually have high respect and regard for teachers. Lucky me. I am 61.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-12-2018, 05:39 PM
 
Location: next up where ever I go
588 posts, read 344,665 times
Reputation: 2087
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
When I lived in Colorado, I taught Latin and Greek to small groups of home-schooled children for several years. I enjoyed it very much. However, I must point out that they were intelligent and motivated, very different from most children. The atmosphere was essentially the same as that of a university class. I would never consider bothering with the average.
[mod cut - unnecessary personal attack]

Last edited by VTsnowbird; 02-13-2018 at 03:34 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-12-2018, 05:40 PM
 
Location: next up where ever I go
588 posts, read 344,665 times
Reputation: 2087
Quote:
Originally Posted by suziq38 View Post
I started out as a substitute teacher and some of the students were unruly and terrible. Others were decently good. I could teach any class. I liked history and English as a second language. Some teachers and certain schools called me often and would eventually ask me if I wanted to work there. Teaching children who were hard to deal with was not my idea of a fun job. I was asked to be a substitute teacher at a local Adult school. I taught English as a Second Language. I was decently good at it, so the principal offered me a part-time job. That was 11 years ago, and I love working there. The adult students want to learn, and they treat me like royalty. The reason: That is how it is done in other countries. The actually have high respect and regard for teachers. Lucky me. I am 61.
Wonderful!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-12-2018, 06:00 PM
 
Location: Boston
7,856 posts, read 2,281,458 times
Reputation: 5577
I subbed right after college. I'd always stand outside the classroom during class changes so the rowdy ones knew there was a substitute and hopefully didn't come in the room.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top