Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2018, 09:01 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,601,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulsurv View Post
JJAF, in my area (SE PA) "Alternative" Schools are screaming for someone your "size" as guards (sometimes disguised as "aids"). And they usually pay a bit more.

BUT PLEASE NOTE: Alternative schools, designed for "youth-at-risk" (formerly known as juvenile delinquents) have undergone a huge change. I worked in 2 of them for 4 years (2000-2004), but NOW - Many states have relabeled Youth-at-risk under the DISABLED umbrella. Yeah...so now these kids have no consequences. Whereby formerly a teacher under threat or who witnessed violent property destruction could call in law enforcement, now the offender is simply coddled with an arm around his/her shoulder and told he is "better than that" until he calms down (and of course, repeats the behavior two hours later). Huge mistake, thanks to our departments of education

As a substitute, I was offered a full-time job/full benefits package in one of them just recently. But I told them that their state-mandated policies were irresponsible and unsustainable.

You might want to look into a part-time job (morning or afternoon shift) as either a guard or an aid, both of whom work closely with the kids.
Are you allowed to carry a gun? I wouldn't do it for any amount of money without one—or two.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2018, 09:08 AM

4,901 posts, read 8,754,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by james777 View Post
^^ Very good advice. I used to do the same. The more students that didn't show up, the better the class went.
Seriously? Where would they go? We have to account for every student, every hour...if they are not there, they go looking for them.

I am subbing right now in our town. I like it and haven't had any serious trouble, though we do have small schools. The pay is just a hair over minimum wage if you count it as 7.5 hours and a little less than minimum wage if you count it as 8. I get there early enough to look over the teacher's instructions for the day so it's more like 8 for me, but I'd rather do that than be a cashier at a convenience store or something like that. Plus, it's part-time (not every day), which is all I can stand (fibromyalgia).

I do think they should raise the pay for subbing, but I don't have a college degree, just some college hours, so I can't complain much. Certified teachers get more, of course.

Last edited by Luvvarkansas; 02-19-2018 at 09:20 AM..

Old 02-20-2018, 03:53 AM

1,793 posts, read 3,350,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Are you allowed to carry a gun? I wouldn't do it for any amount of money without one—or two.
LOL!!!! Happy, no...we don't carry. BUT even the 5-year-olds are scanned with wands and patted down when they arrive. Things have degraded so much in a decade among this populace; even the little ones are positively WILD with rage. Very disturbing. YET, there are a few retirees and semi-retirees there with a HUGE heart for the kids. While I admire them tremendously, I could never join their ranks now as the system has turned into an enabling one. Things will only get worse. Very few, if any, will be saved from themselves Look out, World!!

Old 02-20-2018, 05:23 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,601,055 times
Quote:
LOL!!!! Happy, no...we don't carry. BUT even the 5-year-olds are scanned with wands and patted down when they arrive. Things have degraded so much in a decade among this populace; even the little ones are positively WILD with rage. Very disturbing. YET, there are a few retirees and semi-retirees there with a HUGE heart for the kids. While I admire them tremendously, I could never join their ranks now as the system has turned into an enabling one. Things will only get worse. Very few, if any, will be saved from themselves Look out, World!!
Police carry guns when they go into schools. People who don't care about their own safety deserve no sympathy.

Old 02-20-2018, 06:35 AM

1,793 posts, read 3,350,353 times
Quote:
Police carry guns when they go into schools. People who don't care about their own safety deserve no sympathy.
My dear man, I wouldn't even be able TO SHOOT - or at least shoot accurately - if I carried one, as my hands are riddled with arthritis from 35 years of training Dobermans. Not looking for any sympathy, just merely stating what one segment of education has become - and that substituting there does pay a bit more than mainstream ed. Didn't mean to rile you.

Old 02-20-2018, 10:21 AM

50,777 posts, read 36,474,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slyfox2 View Post
After a 40 year career in public and private education, I know how difficult being a substitute is. Its not a fun easy job for retirement. Its a hard professional career job. Everything is the same as teaching except you don’t have to make lesson plans but you have to follow endless stupid plans or sometimes no plans at all.

The kids are rarely good for the substitute. They are usually awful.

Don’t even think about it.

Besides, depending on your age, you may be over the limit.
That's interesting, I didn't realize they had age limits. What is it in your district?

Old 02-20-2018, 07:09 PM

588 posts, read 463,036 times
Quote:
You must be so very Happy in Wyoming!

Lord thank you that I live somewhere else than you and I love Wyoming!

Tell that to Florida I am sure they will be amused.

Old 02-21-2018, 05:05 AM

337 posts, read 448,864 times
Default Thank you

Quote:
JJAF, in my area (SE PA) "Alternative" Schools are screaming for someone your "size" as guards (sometimes disguised as "aids"). And they usually pay a bit more.

BUT PLEASE NOTE: Alternative schools, designed for "youth-at-risk" (formerly known as juvenile delinquents) have undergone a huge change. I worked in 2 of them for 4 years (2000-2004), but NOW - Many states have relabeled Youth-at-risk under the DISABLED umbrella. Yeah...so now these kids have no consequences. Whereby formerly a teacher under threat or who witnessed violent property destruction could call in law enforcement, now the offender is simply coddled with an arm around his/her shoulder and told he is "better than that" until he calms down (and of course, repeats the behavior two hours later). Huge mistake, thanks to our departments of education

As a substitute, I was offered a full-time job/full benefits package in one of them just recently. But I told them that their state-mandated policies were irresponsible and unsustainable.

You might want to look into a part-time job (morning or afternoon shift) as either a guard or an aid, both of whom work closely with the kids.

Thank you for the information. I just want to make a difference.

Old 02-22-2018, 08:04 AM

26,727 posts, read 26,806,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
heck - here in our small town the pay for a sub with less than 60 college hours is 60 dollars a day. That is 7.50 an hour!
In my state you need a degree to substitute teach in a public school, and depending on the district, it's anywhere from $120 to $180 per day.

Old 02-22-2018, 12:19 PM

903 posts, read 665,504 times
Our district is desperate for subs and as long as you have an associate's degree you can apply to be a sub teacher. They pay for all training and your sub license.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement