Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2018, 06:00 PM

6,809 posts, read 10,473,068 times

Advertisements

If you can qualify for the license, give it a try. The nice thing about subbing is you that you can choose what jobs to accept or not accept at your will. So you can take a day off or a week off or decide you don't want to work at a particular school and it is all fine. And if you decide you don't like it, no loss as long as you give it enough days to make back your license cost.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2018, 05:01 AM

336 posts, read 444,429 times
Thank you all for your input. Your information and experience will be valuable in my decision. There is a shortage of substitutes where I am at. (the other day, one school was 4 subs short) There is at least 5 school systems within the city I live in. As someone mentioned above, they call you by going down a list but I have heard if a teacher really feels you did a good job with the class, they will request you. I really don't know if this is a benefit, but I am somewhat physically imposing. 20 years military and most say I do not look like I am 54. I have always come into a authoritative situation firm, and can let loose the reigns a little as the situation warrants, versus coming in trying to be everyone's buddy and then try to tighten it up. Once again, thank you so much for your help.

Old 02-13-2018, 08:57 AM

11,035 posts, read 6,586,897 times
Loosen the "reins"....

Old 02-13-2018, 09:06 AM

24,204 posts, read 19,122,698 times
a friend of mine is subbing at the school where she taught before she retired. She likes the flexibility she has to take time off to visit the grandkids, and to get away somewhere warm during the worst of the winter weather. I think because she already had a good reputation and status and is still working with kids (and other teachers and administration) that know her, she doesn't face some of the downsides of subbing. I don't think she's bother to sub in a different school at this point, she's doing enough to keep herself busy, which is her type of personality, but she doesn't *need* to work.

Old 02-13-2018, 10:07 AM

890 posts, read 654,011 times
I plan to sub when I retire. We have a small private school that only goes to grade 4. Also will sub in the public elementary since that goes to 3rd grade. A few years ago I taught preschool. My current job has me working with high school and elementary school. I do like the vibe when I am walking around at the high school. So who knows.
Our system is computerized, you log on and see what is available. I like the flexibility and $100 a day will be spending money.

Old 02-13-2018, 10:32 AM

588 posts, read 461,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJAF View Post
Thank you all for your input. Your information and experience will be valuable in my decision. There is a shortage of substitutes where I am at. (the other day, one school was 4 subs short) There is at least 5 school systems within the city I live in. As someone mentioned above, they call you by going down a list but I have heard if a teacher really feels you did a good job with the class, they will request you. I really don't know if this is a benefit, but I am somewhat physically imposing. 20 years military and most say I do not look like I am 54. I have always come into a authoritative situation firm, and can let loose the reigns a little as the situation warrants, versus coming in trying to be everyone's buddy and then try to tighten it up. Once again, thank you so much for your help.
Dear one,

There is a shortage of subs everywhere. The pay sucks, no benefits, some of the kids are downright mental AND violent.
Do your homework. All schools pull students from different areas of the city. Some have resources and parents that care, and others are not. Period. I am not saying to never go to the ones without resources, just keep in mind they don't care if you are military. They don't abide by rules and regs. They have their own rules and regs to live by and that is of the street.

I do the tough schools from time to time just because I like a challenge. And I am one dumb bunny at times.

That being said. This all started when I got divorced. I was a mess and I had absolutely no self esteem left. Over the last four years this subbing experience was the best way for me to get my groove back so to speak.

Either live or die. I chose to live and the kids taught me to respect myself again. Through very hard knocks.
!

In any event....I would not and could not do it full time. Way to stressful. But every once in a while....well, its worth it.

Old 02-13-2018, 10:47 AM

12,053 posts, read 10,224,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJAF View Post
You might have to relax that military way of thinking - not with the kids, but with your fellow workers.

I was ticked off the day of my second assignment. Told to be there at 0800. So being military - if you are not there 15 minutes early - you are late type of thinking. Didn't work.

Have to check in at the main office. No one there until 0800 on the dot! As if they stay away from there as long as possible. I couldn't check in and kids were already going to class. What the heck - I was ticked off.

And then, the principal had been by there, looked at me and just walked off before I could say anything. No greeting, no can I help you etc. What a way to run a place. At least it is nice and new - lol.

So I went ahead and just barged into the back admin offices and they didn't bat an eye. I would think they would have someone up front at least 30 minutes before the first bell to take care of this type of thing.

Old 02-13-2018, 11:26 AM

588 posts, read 461,966 times
Clemencia,

I was in corporate for most of my adult life and 15 mins early was my calling card. Not at the schools I work at. They let you in the door on the dot of your assignment. Now, if they know your face then someone will open the door for you. Probably since parents try to get it the door before the school is open and that is not a good thing. In fact, there is a sign that says parents are allowed in at 8:10 am. Period. Doesn't faze them.

School is a different animal then the other work worlds. As I remarked to an admin at one school when the parent who called before hours and I picked up since I was let in early and I went to my classroom...she said when I told her this parent wanted to talk to her.

She said....I have 700 kids about to walk through that door. I don't have the time for one parent with a complaint. She needs to call and leave a message. Can you imagine what it would be like to have all the parents calling whenever they like in a school of 700 elementary age children some with serious disabilities. It is serious pandemonium!

Old 02-13-2018, 12:00 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,844,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMKSarah View Post
Clemencia,

I was in corporate for most of my adult life and 15 mins early was my calling card. Not at the schools I work at. They let you in the door on the dot of your assignment. Now, if they know your face then someone will open the door for you. Probably since parents try to get it the door before the school is open and that is not a good thing. In fact, there is a sign that says parents are allowed in at 8:10 am. Period. Doesn't faze them.

School is a different animal then the other work worlds. As I remarked to an admin at one school when the parent who called before hours and I picked up since I was let in early and I went to my classroom...she said when I told her this parent wanted to talk to her.

She said....I have 700 kids about to walk through that door. I don't have the time for one parent with a complaint. She needs to call and leave a message. Can you imagine what it would be like to have all the parents calling whenever they like in a school of 700 elementary age children some with serious disabilities. It is serious pandemonium!
You "picked up"?

You picked up the administration phone line? Early?

Why?

Coming from the corporate world all your life, that's odd to me.

You didn't know what the process was in the school for phone calls?

Yeah, I guess it's a different world.

You would NEVER get away with saying non-white people were problems in the corporate world, either.
(upthread)

Fascinating.

Old 02-13-2018, 12:35 PM

14,229 posts, read 29,970,145 times
All of the above is true. I think a good bit of the problems are caused by students who for one reason or another can't keep up. So they act out. They then get all the attention and those who come to school to learn are not being served because of all the discipline problems.

This is why I volunteer teaching ESL. The students want to learn!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement