U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2018, 07:04 AM

7,977 posts, read 11,653,739 times

Advertisements

I'm jealous. I wish I had taken the plunge and been more adventerous in my youth. I have always wanted to do the rural thing but couldn't make it work. Or maybe I'm just to risk averse or insecure about my abilities. At any rate I wish I had. Many do when they are younger; ski bum, travel, live on mini farms, then move on and do a more urban thing. They are doing it in the right order.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2018, 08:05 AM

6,223 posts, read 5,354,840 times
I tried a rural lifestyle and it was not for me.

No public transportation if I were unable to drive
Limited choices in healthcare, especially the specialities
Nothing to do all winter if you could not ski. They were also brutally cold and icy. Every step felt like it could be my last when I went outside
Summers got boring once I exhausted all there was to do nearby
If I wanted to work a little it was all low wage jobs not worth my time

Not suprised to see many posters experiencing the same.

Old 02-14-2018, 08:07 AM

14,364 posts, read 7,913,715 times
I was always drawn to the country and had dreams of having a farm when I was a teenager. I was fortunate enough to have spent some time on four different farms in my younger years. I loved riding horses in the woods and the quite serenity of night walks in the woods. Actually, I still enjoy that solitude, but, I'm a very social person and the isolation would become a prison for me. I can't imagine being old and isolated. I love having the neighborhood shorties come over and being able to talk with the neighbors. I can have the best of both worlds where we live now. The train is a block away and can take us to the loop in Chicago in twenty minutes. There's a couple of nice wooded areas within walking distance. We are ten minutes away from a great hospital. There's plenty to do here.

We went skiing yesterday and we saw tons of wild turkeys and deer grazing in a snow covered field. We left as the sun was setting and the dark silhouettes of the deer were still visible. It was incredibly beautiful. Sometimes I think that cabin in the woods would be a good idea. Why not have the best of both worlds?

Old 02-14-2018, 08:24 AM

23,541 posts, read 17,535,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
The above is kind of a narrow view because there are lots of people who have never smoked, rarely drink or just very small amounts, never took drugs, and eat in a healthy manner who still have health problems!

Health problems are certainly not limited to people who have smoked, drink, do not eat as healthily as they should, and do not exercise.
Absolutely. I'm a bit overweight and I drink too much, but do eat in a fairly healthy manner. I've hardly ever had more than a cold or bronchitis. Haven't had the flu as an adult. Other than two broken wrists, I've never been seriously injured. I was in a four car pileup a decade ago, totaling the car and crunching it up like an accordion, and was only a little sore for a day or two.

Meanwhile, I have friends that are my age that are starting to come down with chronic conditions that will impact them for the rest of their lives. You just never know and a lot of it is genetics and dumb luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Your post doesn't say their ages. I also know many retirees who live in rural areas who are very active. Life is what you make it. Some folks live in rural areas until they die. Others move to a city to be near medical care or family or grocery stores or whatever.
They are in their early 30s. Picture someone in their early 70s relocating there.

Old 02-14-2018, 08:47 AM

672 posts, read 393,682 times
I tend to think there are a few "dreams" we all share at one time or another. Sailing a boat and living aboard full time. Owning a small farm. Traveling the world. Writing the great novel. Not getting up several times at nite to use the toilet. Always remembering where we left the keys. Having the children remember we are alive. Etc.

I tried the rural life for two years. Humbug! Cut myself and needed stitches. The small hospital was useless. I wondered what would happen with something critical. Bailed out for the city where we moved from.

To each their own.

Old 02-14-2018, 09:11 AM

13,313 posts, read 25,546,272 times
Twice, while I was still working and needing to work, I bought (and sold) building lots outside the town I will be moving to. Way outside, like 2,000 feet higher, a half hour down a rough county road. I did picture living there and it seemed to have all the disadvantages of a suburb without amenities. HOA, own water system, septic. I pictured being isolated, driving down the hill in the dark for a possible job some 30 miles away, etc. etc. (This was pre-internet, too). Both times I sold the lots as I could not picture a good life there, in working or retirement.

Twenty-five years later! I pictured myself not working, retired, and living in town. Hence, I bought a town lot and my new little house is almost finished. I did research the amenities- a great supermarket, cheaper gas, doctors, etc., all about 24 miles away in a bigger town. Considered moving to the bigger town and learned that it is very less progressive (not progressive) and, despite the services of a county seat and town of some 25,000, it has minimal views, different weather and altogether not what I hoped for. I think people do move down there from the mountain valley towns when old, then, there is a lot of COPD from early life and people must move down. There is also a lot of work in the big town and often grown children live down there in more affordable housing.

So I'm moving to a town of 1,000 in a very rural area. Nearest big city (depending on your definition) is four hours away. Nearest big box stores, 24 miles. Four-gate airport, 24 miles. Community hospital and cancer center, 24 miles.

I saw a property I would have wanted some 25 years ago, right near the small town, with a barn for horse and adopted donkeys. I decided I did not want to be bucking hay bales into my 70s and consider having animals as having them for life. No farming daydreams, and did most of my daydreams for real in respites or during my work time. No regrets. This move to this town is my last hurrah of daydreams realized.

Old 02-14-2018, 12:16 PM

284 posts, read 138,476 times
We bit the bullet and moved to central Wisconsin from Chicago 31 yrs ago. I love being out in the country. I have my windows cracked even in winter to hear the coyotes. We have an abundance of wildlife in our backyard. We have a couple of tractors. I laugh at my city raised husband tooling around on his John Deere. We have a huge garden and planted almost 50 pounds of garlic that we sell.
We still have family in Chicago and I love visiting the city but the traffic would kill me. It takes me 9 minutes to drive down the highway to work. Twenty minutes up the road we have a 1st class heart institute and a decent sized hospital. Lots of places to shop and eat. We are 2 hours from Madison and a little more then 3 hours from Minneapolis.

Old 02-14-2018, 12:30 PM

5,424 posts, read 3,442,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bygeorge View Post

I tend to think there are a few "dreams" we all share at one time or another. Sailing a boat and living aboard full time. Owning a small farm. Traveling the world. Writing the great novel.
No, those dreams you list were or are not 'shared by all' as you state. Not at all.

never wanted to own a small farm
never wanted to write the great novel (smart enough to know the vast majority of people can't write a novel)
never wanted to sail a boat - ride in one, yes, but not be responsible for sailing it
never wanted to live aboard a sailboat full-time - never!!
never wanted to travel the world - just wanted to travel Europe and did multiple times

just sayin'

Last edited by matisse12; 02-14-2018 at 01:30 PM..

Old 02-14-2018, 01:04 PM

3,410 posts, read 1,523,023 times
In your 30s is the time to live like that, like the couple mentioned. I was living like the Unibomber in the same rural Montana area; no plumbing, no electricity, FAR from everything. But I was in my 30s, early 40s. Not into letter-bombs, though.

Do it then, while you can---if that kind of living appeals to you. Then move closer to help, if you feel the need. We're about 8 miles from a complete hospital, now in our 60s.

Old 02-14-2018, 01:17 PM

7,596 posts, read 4,674,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
The trouble with all this, "I have to live near a hospital" stuff is that people of any age can be sickly, and people of any age can die. If you spent your youth smoking and drinking and tsking drugs, not eating as well or exercising as much as you should have, and you know who you are, don't complain.
The trouble with all this making of generalizations is it doesn't account for people with chronic illnesses that are in no way related to lifestyle or diet. Or are immunocompromised because of the medication they have to use to manage their disease.

You're that survivalist guy, IIRC. So you're allowed to plan and prepare for the worst but anyone else doing it is just silly, I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or