U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2018, 06:57 PM

11,083 posts, read 12,467,812 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Good point, though Iím not crazy about their meet, just this morning I filled up with a 30 cent discount. At our local Kroger called Fred Meyer, every Tuesday afternoon everything is 10% off for seniors, with some small print, of course. No coupons needed, digital or otherwise. The assisted living places all go there with their little buses full of people.
My Safeway Thursday is 10% senior discount and Saturday is 10% military discount. The meat department is awesome here. One shopping trip I saved $75 and 40 cents a gallon in gas. That was really nice.

Our City Market (Kroger) also has the discount card but don't really care for those stores.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2018, 07:02 PM

7,185 posts, read 2,753,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
I thought I was clear that they do keep track. My point was people that think there is something wrong with that.
I see it as how I get paid for my opinion. they get to know what I like, and I get a discount for letting them know. they could track sales without knowing it was me, but then they would have to guess if I was just a one-off or if I routinely come in for those items. Much as I like my privacy, I'm really only giving up a little info to get the savings, and if it improves what they offer that I would want to buy... so much the better.

Old 02-14-2018, 08:50 PM

25,976 posts, read 32,984,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyDogToday View Post
Exactly my thought about it all. Tired of even a simple trip to the grocery becoming a major project. I use my Kroger Plus card and that is about it. It is all I need or want. I had the Kroger app at one point and constantly got bombarded with emails. No thanks.

And I am a frugal shopper who buys the same stuff over and over so they send me coupons in the mail. Some things are done better "old school"
Agreed. I do have one app that I like - it's called Flipp. It shows the ads/specials for all the local stores. And I can search for specific items, like "chicken breast", or "pepsi", or whatever. It has come in handy quite often.

Old 02-14-2018, 09:36 PM

17,386 posts, read 21,228,976 times
My niece has a son that has won various awards for his computer expertise in high school. As a teenager he helps his Dad in his business on the high tech end. My niece has learned everything from him, and my 68YO sister. Unfortunately, I'm 1600 miles away, by myself, no children, a loner, and I have a Mexican roommate that's never been on the Internet. And, I'm one that's loathe to ask people for help. I'm sure many a senior posting here has "cheated" along the way, and had a grandchild or child introduce them to the high tech world.

I would be clueless how to operate a Smartphone, I'd have to hire someone to teach me how to use it, and do I really need to add one more addiction to my life?

When I grocery shop, I don't do expensive name brand items, and so much of the digital coupons are for products I'd never buy in the first place. I have a mental block to cards. I didn't shop at Albertson's for years because they required cards, and after they dropped the card requirement, I went back to them. Previously I had been shopping at card-less Food 4 Less which no longer operates.

I cook a lot of with beans. If you watch closely, every so often, their 1 pound bag of beans goes on sale for $1 a bag. Then, I all but wipe out the shelves! Where can I find a bag of beans at the card stores, like Smith's, for $1?

I'm thankful Las Vegas has an array of card-less Latino grocery chains (Marianna's/La Bonita/Marketon/El
Super) where I buy most of my produce and some fish and meat.

Old 02-14-2018, 10:14 PM

4,695 posts, read 2,543,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
We don't have Albertson's here, but we do have Randall's which is part of the same company. I can get on my computer at home and load my coupons before we go to the store. I actually prefer that to browsing on the smart phone. Most of the specials are available to anyone with their card but they do have a "just for you" feature that you actually have to add to the card to get the extra discount. I don't mind, we save quite a bit of money that way. I do use the app sometimes when I'm in the store, but it's not really necessary.
That's the same as Safeway, with whom Albertson's merged. I like their method (in general) because I can print my list without images for my husband and he can see the "free" items to pick up. It's very quick.

What I dislike are the stores that have tailored their software for smartphones which means the software is very image-heavy.

Old 02-15-2018, 06:48 AM

11,043 posts, read 3,984,632 times
Digital coupons are almost everywhere now. It is easier than clipping & remembering to bring them! OP, ask the store clerk or manager to show you how to do it. Of course, you would need to upgrade your phone first as you would need a smart phone.

Old 02-15-2018, 06:55 AM

3,820 posts, read 1,973,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
For someone as low tech as myself (67 YO, 68 in April) who has no apps at all, no Smartphone yet, still cherishing my flip-up phone, I'm flustered at seeing all these grocery shop fliers in the mail today referring to digital coupons. ????

The clerk at Albertson's urged me to get the app for Albertson's, 3 months ago, as I'd be missing out on some great bargains. Haven't done it yet, don't even know how to tackle it.

Looking at Smith's weekly flyer, I see they've got digital coupons now as well. Will Wal-Mart be next?

I don't even shop at grocery stores that require cards, wont' shop there, sorry about that Smith's and Von's!

How about you? Are you getting the App's, or just ignoring it all?
I'm in the same boat with you. No Smartphone. I don't understand Apps. I still use a landline phone system, because I don't have to worry about keeping it charged. It gives me four receivers and it blocks unwanted callers. I also carry an old flip phone for emergencies. All it does is make phone calls. I buy the minute cards.

I'm 67. I'm not going to change. If refusing to change costs me a little money, then I'm happy to pay it. Less fuss at the cash register is fine with me. I want to go in and out as quickly as possible. Too many things to swipe... to dig for... to carry in a purse or pocket. It's over the top.

The stores just should post their sales on the shelves like they used to. Nobody needs all this cyber rigmarole to keep our attention glued to the store and the manufacturers of products.

Old 02-15-2018, 07:21 AM

10,281 posts, read 4,859,674 times
I use the Publix app on my phone and PC to pick the coupons I want. When I go shopping I just enter my phone # and it gives me those coupons. It's a lot better than having to clip coupons.

Old 02-15-2018, 07:38 AM

31,012 posts, read 13,578,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old fed View Post
IF you have a loyalty card you can load the digital coupons to your card via your computer, no smart phone needed.
Exactly! I've been doing that for years.

Old 02-15-2018, 07:49 AM

1,831 posts, read 2,136,312 times
I do believe that every thing and everyone earn their keep. So I expect my smart phone to work hard to justify the expense. Digital coupons is an additional service to cover or justify that expense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement