U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2018, 07:52 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
29,839 posts, read 54,538,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn hunter View Post
Hemlock140, I thought the 10% senior discount was first Tuesday of the month only....am I mistaken?
Yes, my mistake (I checked). I haven't used it yet but just remembered seeing the sign near the restrooms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2018, 08:20 AM

5,963 posts, read 5,315,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
So I went online to see how this works. Sorry but I think I am just not organized enough to take advantage of this. I would have to spend that 4 or 5 minutes (which would be more than that if I had to go through 500+ coupons to find ones on the items I use... times 3 grocery stores because I never know ahead of time which store I might stop at (usually on my way home from somewhere else). And how often would I have to do this scrolling of pages and pages of coupons for each store? Do they change weekly? Monthly? That's too much hassle for me.

So no. I will keep to my current method. I use a loyalty card and get some discounts that way. And while at the store, when I see one of my regular items is on sale I buy multiples of them to take advantage of the sale price.

To those of you who have a tighter budget than me, I am sorry you have to go through this nonsense.

It looks to me like they took the flyer-in-the-newspaper coupons and put them on your screen, because not many people read newspapers anymore. But they still kept the "clip your coupon" idea. Oh well, progress I guess.
All of your previous posts, and this one, show that you still don't understand so you call it nonsense. That is a sign of a fool. Then you want to insult those with a tighter budget than you as if you know their finances.

Old 02-15-2018, 08:36 AM

12,304 posts, read 10,780,142 times
Digital coupons have been around for at least 10 years! Having the loyalty card and having digital coupons or discounts on them goes back even further! Surely you were not 67 and stubborn 10+ years ago.

Technology has been changing since the Industrial Revolution kicked off. When was the last time your town had a blacksmith in it? Tinsmith? Heck, we've even moved on from the cotton gin! Even your car is loaded with technology. Most of it, you've probably never even given a thought to!

If my 89 year old grandmother who's partially blind can handle a smart phone, then practically everyone can!

Old 02-15-2018, 09:20 AM

9,151 posts, read 7,223,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
For someone as low tech as myself (67 YO, 68 in April) who has no apps at all, no Smartphone yet, still cherishing my flip-up phone, I'm flustered at seeing all these grocery shop fliers in the mail today referring to digital coupons. ????

The clerk at Albertson's urged me to get the app for Albertson's, 3 months ago, as I'd be missing out on some great bargains. Haven't done it yet, don't even know how to tackle it.

Looking at Smith's weekly flyer, I see they've got digital coupons now as well. Will Wal-Mart be next?

I don't even shop at grocery stores that require cards, wont' shop there, sorry about that Smith's and Von's!

How about you? Are you getting the App's, or just ignoring it all?
I won't shop at stores that use cards to get the sale price either. Both Walgreens and Rite Aid use them so I had to start getting all my drugstore stuff online, usually at Amazon or Walmart. I'd rather drive to the Walmart mess than buy something at one of the stores that use those cards.

I don't even have a cell phone yet, so I'm way further behind than you. I wouldn't get those apps though even if I had one.

Old 02-15-2018, 09:31 AM

31,109 posts, read 13,629,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LillyLillyLilly View Post
I won't shop at stores that use cards to get the sale price either. Both Walgreens and Rite Aid use them so I had to start getting all my drugstore stuff online, usually at Amazon or Walmart. I'd rather drive to the Walmart mess than buy something at one of the stores that use those cards.

I don't even have a cell phone yet, so I'm way further behind than you. I wouldn't get those apps though even if I had one.
You don't need a cellphone. Clearly you have access to some kind of electronic device that allows you to post online. You can download electronic coupons to your store's card and you don't need to show a phone to use it, you simply tell the clerk your phone number And I don't know of many stores where you can't get the sale price without a card, but many of the drugstores have extra deals on top of sale prices. I get coupons all the time in my email from CVS for 20% or 30% of of my purchase, I click on the link it adds it to my card, I go in the store and tell the cashier my phone number and the discount is applied to my purchase.

Old 02-15-2018, 09:40 AM

3,991 posts, read 2,548,937 times
How does it add it to your card?

Old 02-15-2018, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
How does it add it to your card?
You get a club card, like from Safeway or CVS. You go the the company website and you create an account by entering your name, phone number and the number of the card you were given at the store. Once you log into the account you will see electronic coupons that you click on and add to your card, some stores also have offers that don't involve coupons, i.e Safeway will sometimes have a double gas credit, so if you ordinarily get a 10 cent discount on gas when you have spent $50, you would get a 20 cent a gallon discount. The discounts/coupons are associated with your card and I don't even carry the cards, I just give the clerk my phone number since it's linked to the card. No phone needed smartphone or otherwise, and you actually don't even need a phone you can use a phony number just write it down so you remember what it is.

Old 02-15-2018, 10:33 AM

2,207 posts, read 1,352,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
All of your previous posts, and this one, show that you still don't understand so you call it nonsense. That is a sign of a fool. Then you want to insult those with a tighter budget than you as if you know their finances.
Huh? I was expressing sympathy to those on tight budgets that have to spend their time scrolling through hundreds of items each week to load the discounts on their cards before they go shopping. I did not call anyone a fool.

Old 02-15-2018, 10:44 AM

17,417 posts, read 21,263,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
You don't need a cellphone. Clearly you have access to some kind of electronic device that allows you to post online. You can download electronic coupons to your store's card and you don't need to show a phone to use it, you simply tell the clerk your phone number And I don't know of many stores where you can't get the sale price without a card, but many of the drugstores have extra deals on top of sale prices. I get coupons all the time in my email from CVS for 20% or 30% of of my purchase, I click on the link it adds it to my card, I go in the store and tell the cashier my phone number and the discount is applied to my purchase.
Whoa! Whoa! Whoa!

I speak English and some Spanish but the language in your post is indecipherable to me!

That sounds like a helluva lot of work to save a little money! I check my email account once a week, sometimes once every 2 weeks, and that's all I need is more emails to wade through!

I spent 10 years in accounting and I can do price comparisons at the blink of an eye and I recognize bargains when I see them!

I'm lucky in that I work the nightshift 3 nights a week, go to Albertson's after work around 6:15am, and at that hour they have lots of discounted meat for sale, which you won't see later in the morning.

I'm mostly a meat and bean or potato person. Not even frozen dinners!

Old 02-15-2018, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Whoa! Whoa! Whoa!

I speak English and some Spanish but the language in your post is indecipherable to me!

That sounds like a helluva lot of work to save a little money! I check my email account once a week, sometimes once every 2 weeks, and that's all I need is more emails to wade through!

I spent 10 years in accounting and I can do price comparisons at the blink of an eye and I recognize bargains when I see them!

I'm lucky in that I work the nightshift 3 nights a week, go to Albertson's after work around 6:15am, and at that hour they have lots of discounted meat for sale, which you won't see later in the morning.

I'm mostly a meat and bean or potato person. Not even frozen dinners!
If coupons/discounts won't help you then it's a moot issue as to whether or not you found my post confusing, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement