Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2018, 02:00 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,444,376 times

Advertisements

Disclaimer... this is in the Retirement forum, but I am NOT retired. That out of the way...
@OP, at least you're using cell phones!
I didn't want to bother with digital coupons, but saving $6 off one item was too good to ignore. I've probably saved about $40 over the years (they exist, but half the time, I'm too lazy to check, while the other half of the time, there aren't THAT many items with a digital coupon). It's "convenient enough". Exception than the norm is I have to walk towards the entrance, or leave the store to get signal to get internet.
The main draw for them is that they can get A LOT of useful info tracking customer purchases and habits. In fact, one article I read says the info is so useful that a store gets more value from that, then the money from actual sales!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
I use the loyalty cards because you get discounts with them. But the cost of a smart phone (needed to run apps) just to save $5 at the supermarket each week is not cost effective. I will ignore that kind of "progress."
The thing is, many of us already use smartphones anyways. I use it for camera, phone, texting, GPS, internet, and games. Otherwise, an Android phone that's cheap enough to run an OS that's "up to date enough" shouldn't cost more than $20. On the iOS side of things, probably a $50 iphone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2018, 02:19 PM

37,459 posts, read 45,658,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
For someone as low tech as myself (67 YO, 68 in April) who has no apps at all, no Smartphone yet, still cherishing my flip-up phone, I'm flustered at seeing all these grocery shop fliers in the mail today referring to digital coupons. ????

The clerk at Albertson's urged me to get the app for Albertson's, 3 months ago, as I'd be missing out on some great bargains. Haven't done it yet, don't even know how to tackle it.

Looking at Smith's weekly flyer, I see they've got digital coupons now as well. Will Wal-Mart be next?

I don't even shop at grocery stores that require cards, wont' shop there, sorry about that Smith's and Von's!

How about you? Are you getting the App's, or just ignoring it all?
Hell no. If I installed an app for every entity that asked me to, I would have run out of room long ago. I follow the same philosophy as I follow with credit cards.

I DO however, have the individual accounts for the grocery stores that I shop at. Food Lion has an "MVP" card. Harris Teeter has a "VIC" card. And so on. When I check out, they swipe my card so that I get the discounts. I have saved $$$$ over the years using those.

Old 02-14-2018, 03:01 PM

1,302 posts, read 843,357 times
Here in the NW, I shop at Fred Meyer and use their loyalty card. Coupons can be loaded to the card through a computer, no need to load onto phone. I get e-mails from them regularly with a link to new digital coupons, frequently for products I buy (which no doubt they track through the card). You just click on the picture of the item with coupon on the website and voila! it's loaded to your loyalty card. No great technical expertise required. Not sure if you have this grocery store where you are, but I would imagine other stores have similar programs.

Old 02-14-2018, 03:48 PM

841 posts, read 546,818 times
Both places that I use digital coupons - Kroger and HEB - the coupons can be added by computer or by app. I use both - computer mainly, but then often check the app right before I go shopping or even while in the store if I want to add a coupon. At the register, I just put in my number and all coupons I've added are available. I could do them both without having a phone and I've never shown my phone to a clerk to scan a coupon (except for Kohl's department store). Biggest benefit is there is no forgetting to use a coupon or holding up the line as the clerk has to scan in each one. Kroger sends me bonus customer paper coupons and I do use them as well, but much less frequently. I don't mind them tracking what I buy because the coupons they send me match what I buy.

Old 02-14-2018, 04:05 PM

419 posts, read 384,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post

What bugs me is Target's Cartwheel--you can ONLY use a smartphone to get the deals. Really chaps my hide.
You don't have to use a smartphone to get Target's Cartwheel. I go into my online Target account on my computer, select the deals, then print them. The printed page will include a barcode at the top that you need to take to Target. At the store, they'll scan that barcode for you to get the percentages off the items you've chosen. It's easy to do and very worthwhile.

Old 02-14-2018, 04:21 PM

15,242 posts, read 12,829,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Hell no. If I installed an app for every entity that asked me to, I would have run out of room long ago. I follow the same philosophy as I follow with credit cards.
I thought I was as cynical a marketer as any but I was surprised when I read the real reason why every entity wants us to download their app to our smartphones, even when the app doesn't seem to do anything useful: They want their name in front of us constantly.

Yes, there are studies done as to how many times per day we glance at our smartphones. You may not even realize you see the individual icons after a while but you do -- your eyes flick over them while you're looking for something else.

It's part of a larger "brand engagement" effort. It's not enough that we get their flyers in the mail, see the signs when we drive by, read the Yelp reviews or use one of their branded shopping bags. They want that piece of real estate on our smartphone screens.

Old 02-14-2018, 04:56 PM

6,320 posts, read 4,784,152 times
I use my computer for the digital coupons at Fry's. Mostly to buy gift cards to get fuel points, occasionally for grocery items. All I do is click on the coupon and it's on my card and automatically applied at check out. I also use the discount stores for buying in bulk.

Old 02-14-2018, 05:03 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,783,297 times
66 here and love my Safeway card, save a lot and get discounts on gas too. A lot easier than clipping coupons.

Old 02-14-2018, 06:02 PM

15,111 posts, read 27,580,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
OP, I am a late adopter as well....for pretty much all new technology.
I was late to debit cards, late to using cards at the gas pump, late to computers and email....all of it.
Just got a flip phone 4 months ago.

I DO down load digital coupons to my bonus card for a couple of pharmacies.
But I just haven't done it for any supermarket yet.
I just use a bonus card in the store....which at my supermarket gives you all the sale prices anyway.
I don't think that chain has moved to a difference between digital coupons -- and just using a bonus card.
IF and when it does -- then I MIGHT use my computer to download coupons to my card.

I don't really shop sales. IF what I want is on sale or not, makes no difference to me.
You don't know what you're missing - most (if not all) stores often have something free as well as additional cents off coupons - not sure why you are reluctant to download grocery store coupons of you already do pharmacy ones. Sounds like you don't care to save more money? If so, more power to you - I'm in the group that I need to save every penny I can.

Old 02-14-2018, 06:04 PM

3,222 posts, read 4,548,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post

I DO however, have the individual accounts for the grocery stores that I shop at. Food Lion has an "MVP" card. Harris Teeter has a "VIC" card. And so on. When I check out, they swipe my card so that I get the discounts. I have saved $$$$ over the years using those.
Exactly my thought about it all. Tired of even a simple trip to the grocery becoming a major project. I use my Kroger Plus card and that is about it. It is all I need or want. I had the Kroger app at one point and constantly got bombarded with emails. No thanks.

And I am a frugal shopper who buys the same stuff over and over so they send me coupons in the mail. Some things are done better "old school"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement