U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2018, 08:28 PM

6,306 posts, read 5,049,308 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scagaith View Post
Mention all of this to your doctor, and especially how unusual it is for you. It could be thyroid, it could be something else, it could be hormonal, seasonal, a bout of depression - almost anything. But if you want to feel better, it starts with looking for help for it. Don't ignore how you feel, and don't ignore emotions; we tend to think of physical health and mental health as two disconnected things -and we put more importance on the physical, which is also ridiculous as our brains are both physical AND the engine for everything else, including emotions.

If there's nothing obvious that comes out of your doctor's investigations, see a therapist. The goal is to feel better, and you will once you figure out what's causing this, and how to address it. You don't have to feel this way, or be stuck feeling this way. You can change it.

I've found that my latter 50's has been THE most difficult time for me, frankly; aging issues, depression, economics, politics, etc, etc. I got help for it, and it's MUCH better. Best of luck!
Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2018, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar 77 View Post
Make a morning of it. I now have to make an appointment at the lab where before I used to be able to just walk in, but I always fast and get an early morning appointment, then go to breakfast somewhere I don't usually go to (iHop instead of McDonalds or Burger King, Denny's, or other restaurant that I can sit down in and enjoy being served). While I am out I do any errands in the area, or just hit some shops I normally wouldn't go into (a Craftiques store here, has handmade crafts and antiques and "gifty" type items, or the local touristy shops in the near-by small town, thrift stores, etc). I like to get home before the afternoon/rush hour traffic, actually by Judge Judy time, LOL. I have already made my doctor's appt. for a week later to go over the lab results. And I do all of this by myself.

I go every 3 months as my doc and I are trying to get MY thyroid medication to the right level. So, you are not alone.

Have fun and enjoy your fun day!
I can usually also just walk in.

I'll do this next week. Then go out to eat. I hate fasting. And I don't even eat, it is just coffee. Have to have my coffee as soon as I get up.

Thank you

Old 02-15-2018, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
Clemencia53: I seem to have just the opposite. I used to be very anxious and nervous, but not anymore. Where did it go?? I don't know. Maybe I just realized that those emotions take a nasty toll on me. I've learned to let go of things I have no control over. And forgive myself for all the mistakes I've made over the years.

I know from some of your posts that you are considering some life changes? Your roommate situation? That would be a huge change, brings up all sorts of emotions.

I don't have a good idea for overcoming you current state except finding someone to talk to about it. A professional or even a really good friend who has shown good judgement in the past.

One thing that pops in my mind for anxiety/depression is the current state of the world and our country in particular.
I am so glad you are feeling better.

Old 02-15-2018, 09:46 PM

4,742 posts, read 4,366,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
Something strange is happening to me.

As I get older I feel like I am getting more anxious or nervous about things.

I used to be so carefree. Could it also be weather related? We have had a really dreary winter.

Talking to other older people I can tell or they tell me that they are also feeling anxious a lot.

I find it strange since a lot of them have kids, husbands, grandkids - the things that are supposed to bring peace and bliss to your life. So is there no hope for me?

I hope the warm sunny weather brings an end to this.
I think its natural to experience a little more anxiety as one becomes older. As others have said, it can be harder to come back from financial pitfalls, chronic health issues and especially the loss of a spouse or a partner.

I have never cared for the dark days of winter myself and I tend to curl up in a little ball until the light returns in March. This crazy winter we have been having bothers me too. I live in farming and ranching country in SW Colorado, and our problem has been the exact opposite of what the eastern part of the US is experiencing - our winter has been abnormally warm and dry. I worry about drought and envy you guys your abundant snowfall! So there you go.

If your anxiety has really begun to trouble you, please talk with your doctor. If you can manage to get out and exercise despite the cold and snow that will help a lot. A half hour or so walk on sunny days can do wonders for your outlook. If it's too miserable to be out of doors where you live, maybe consider getting a membership at your local rec center to get a little bit of therapeutic exercise.

Meditation or if you are so inclined - joining a church or other spiritual group can also help.

Hang in there. Spring will be along sooner than you may think!

Old 02-15-2018, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
I think its natural to experience a little more anxiety as one becomes older. As others have said, it can be harder to come back from financial pitfalls, chronic health issues and especially the loss of a spouse or a partner.

I have never cared for the dark days of winter myself and I tend to curl up in a little ball until the light returns in March. This crazy winter we have been having bothers me too. I live in farming and ranching country in SW Colorado, and our problem has been the exact opposite of what the eastern part of the US is experiencing - our winter has been abnormally warm and dry. I worry about drought and envy you guys your abundant snowfall! So there you go.

If your anxiety has really begun to trouble you, please talk with your doctor. If you can manage to get out and exercise despite the cold and snow that will help a lot. A half hour or so walk on sunny days can do wonders for your outlook. If it's too miserable to be out of doors where you live, maybe consider getting a membership at your local rec center to get a little bit of therapeutic exercise.

Meditation or if you are so inclined - joining a church or other spiritual group can also help.

Hang in there. Spring will be along sooner than you may think!
Thank you. It's been very grey and dreary here. No sun at all and that is unusual for us.

Old 02-15-2018, 11:00 PM

1,202 posts, read 1,070,214 times
Absolutely get your bloodwork done. I've been hypothyroid for many years and now and then my levels get out of whack in spite of my daily dose of levothyroxine. I can tell when I'm "off" because I have anxiety issues then and only then. I've had to have the dose adjusted over the years. Right now it's stable but it will probably change again.

I do think that gloomy weather and the world we live in doesn't help. Exercise always helps me, long walks especially. That's tough in winter but every little bit helps, even if you go to your local mall and mall-walk. Exercise is exercise, one way or the other.

I also know that in my case I have to avoid too much introspection and also too much contemplation of the "what ifs" of life. I tend to overthink and analyze things to death so that can get me worrying about the unknown. That can make me anxious in a hurry.

Hope you feel better soon..

Old 02-15-2018, 11:00 PM

28,237 posts, read 39,879,137 times
I've heard this type of light will help with the winter doldrums

https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&ke...0x9abm3o_b_p19

And have you changed blood pressure medicine? Most of the ones I was prescribed sucked the life out of me. It would take every ounce of strength I had to get out of a chair. I had to push with arms and legs to do it.

Old 02-15-2018, 11:20 PM

18,083 posts, read 22,934,448 times
I think you should look at your diet. Are you drinking more caffeine than you used to? Eating more of this or that?

I have suffered from anxiety as a mental disorder for a long time. Mine has improved tremendously by changing my diet, eliminating caffeine, etc.

My first thought was, I bet their diet has changed.

Next thing to look at is your sleep. Are you sleeping too much? Too much sleep can also have a negative effect on mood.

I'd start with those simple things that are easy to fix. It may really be just that simple.

I have eliminated all animal products and oil from my diet. It's incredible how much better I feel and I'm off all meds. I just say this because I am very aware of how diet affects moods as well as overall health.

And by the way, if you don't get enough sunshine, you might want to check your Vitamin D. When I moved to a cloudy place, my Vitamin D ended up testing deficient. My doc prescribed a Vitamin D supplement, and it made all the difference.

Old 02-16-2018, 04:46 AM

27,798 posts, read 26,200,766 times
Started doing Yoga about 3-4 months ago. Never imagined I'd do it - did it mostly for flexibility. Learned that it helps with balance, strength as well (balance issues creep up in 60's and beyond, I've discovered).

But I think it helps w/ anxiety as well.

No need for fancy yoga studios, there's so much online, your livingroom can be your personal studio. Adriene is the best.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJbRpHZr_d0

Old 02-16-2018, 05:01 AM

7,096 posts, read 3,457,793 times
Are you busy enough?

We are both type A personalities and were successful in our careers/business which required 60 hour work weeks.

Our retirement has been very active with lots of travel both in the US and Europe, Latin America.

However in 2012 we put our retirement on hold to care for an elderly parent. While that kept us busy, it limited any travel of more than a week or so duration. While those 3 years were rewarding, the pace of our retirement slowed down quite a bit.

After my FIL died it took my DH a year to settle the estate...again he/we were busy with that, but it wasn't exactly fun. We found ourselves sometimes anxious, sometimes a bit depressed. Felt in a rut, which isn't healthy IMO.

Last year we moved back to Mexico (where we lived 2008-2012). This time we bought a home that we knew needed work and updating.

Well, that year has flown by, with managing the rehab and getting our hands dirty ourselves. Somedays we wondered if we bit off more than we could handle, but we never feel like we're in a rut!

I think having a project (one big one or many small ones) is a good thing. Physical labor, too. I know that depends on one's health, but I think pushing ourselves is better than laying back and trying to relax. We were never that good at relaxing, YMMV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or