U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2018, 06:53 AM

12,044 posts, read 5,146,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
It's interesting that so many think because someone or several in one's family lived to 92 or 95, that means almost automatically they can expect to live that long too.
You just don't know. My grandmother lived to be 103, and my mother is now 87 and not going anywhere soon. That doesn't mean I expect to do the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2018, 07:41 AM

13,323 posts, read 25,582,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post

On the flip side of the same cost/benefit decision, absence of future maintenance is far more important now. In the past I may have said, "Heck, I can fix that when it needs repair."
I had a similar thought when I choose a metal roof for my new house in Colorado. That roof will long outlast me! And more expensive, too, but I wanted it for its daily durability and because it could be bright blue. And boy, is it ever blue. My neighbors-to-be know me as "the bright blue roof on North Cora."

Old 02-18-2018, 07:48 AM

13,323 posts, read 25,582,469 times
One of the major predictors of longevity are genetic, so it makes sense to look at immediate relatives. I say in my family, you're either nice and Jewish and get cancer, or you're crazy and Christian and live forever. But even the cancer people lived a long time (my father was 87) and my mother died at 77 after 45 years of chain smoking. Her mother was 92 or so. My surviving aunt is 92. No dementia anywhere, which I find heartening, and I seem to have missed the crazy part.

People seem to conflate deteriorating/suffering with the original question about dying. To me, they are almost separate issues.

I do wonder if those of us who have had severe depression have already contemplated death at a rather inappropriate age or at least as an alternative to the experience of severe depression. I know I did in my 20s and in the occasional crashes since (thankfully brief due to medication and maturity or maybe my synapses just can't go crazy any more). I certainly contemplated death as a relief from living, and therefore the end of my personality/consciousness. I had no belief in afterlife then or now but I certainly didn't feel I was invincible or would live forever or any such.

We'll all die, sooner not later. Not everyone will experience great suffering or deterioration or other miseries. I think the question has been answered with conflating the end with getting there.

Old 02-18-2018, 08:09 AM

3,987 posts, read 1,120,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post
I will be 100 in another 16 years, but I am more concerned about how I will go out than when. My father went out at 65 from cancer, that was bad. My mother went out at 91, she went to bed and never woke up. That is the way to go.
The best way! My dad died at 93 after falling into a coma. he was surrounded by his family and just slipped away.

Old 02-18-2018, 09:32 AM

2,920 posts, read 1,593,647 times
"People seem to conflate deteriorating/suffering with the original question about dying. To me, they are almost separate issues."

Yes, I don't fear death, though I would be disappointed if it happened now early in my retirement with a few things left I wish to accomplish. But long-term deteriorating/suffering is a whole other fear I admit to. I have been fiercely independent since my teenage years when I took off & hitchhiked around Europe for months by myself before I ever heard of anyone doing that & have remained mostly single & mobile since, being dependent & institutionalized would be worse than death for me.

I literally visualize Pat Sajak spinning the Wheel of Fortune of Life when I think about my fate, it's that arbitrary how the end comes to us.

Old 02-18-2018, 09:41 AM

3,987 posts, read 1,120,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
You just don't know. My grandmother lived to be 103, and my mother is now 87 and not going anywhere soon. That doesn't mean I expect to do the same.
OTOH-you've got a great start! My dad lived to 93, my mom to 87, so genetically, things are looking good for me, but we still have to do the right things to maximize our life span....There's the rub!

Old 02-18-2018, 10:37 AM

1,456 posts, read 1,157,703 times
I only think about how much time I have left in terms of how many more years that I can continue doing the things which I enjoy doing: flying, rowing, traveling, scuba diving etc.

I have never feared death. I love life but ever since the time when my daughter became self sufficient, I have always thought that it would be much better to have a sudden death when I am still healthy than living a long life with old age infirmities.

For years, I used to attend Catholic Ash Wednesday service and would say that my life has been influenced by these words:

Quote:
"Memento, homo, quia pulvis es, et in pulverem reverteris." ("Remember, man, that thou art dust, and to dust thou shalt return.")
So I have always tried just to live my life to the fullest, in harmony with my family, friends, nature and don't worry about when my life will end.

By the way, I am no longer religious and don't believe in the after life. When you are gone, you are gone.

Last edited by BellaDL; 02-18-2018 at 11:38 AM..

Old 02-18-2018, 10:55 AM

2,049 posts, read 1,334,126 times
Have never pondered about the time which I have left. Since retiring, some 7 years ago, I am simply grateful for having the time I have to do what I please. My goal is to maximize my retirement enjoyment. When it's gone, it's gone.

Old 02-18-2018, 10:59 AM

2,208 posts, read 1,352,704 times
I am amazed how long this thread has become. So many ideas and attitudes about how much time we have left. Gives me much to thing about. Thanks all, for sharing.

Old 02-18-2018, 11:04 AM

45 posts, read 28,270 times
We were talking at work one day about our anticipated longevity.

I said, "I think I'm going to live forever. Won't I be surprised someday?" and laughed.

And then realized just how true that was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or