U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2018, 01:27 PM

13,361 posts, read 25,647,265 times

Advertisements

I read obituaries if they're well written, as those of accomplished people usually are. I note the ages (mostly 80s and up for accomplishments in the NYT, etc.). If younger, I look for a cause.

I do the math. I'm 65 and have no timetable for the rest of life, no bucket list or such. In fact, I am ready to face that end as long as I keep my affairs in order, to be specific, that my will is as I want it and I have clear plans (funded) for whatever pets I have at that time, should it be sudden.

I have no beliefs in an afterlife for this personality and no beliefs of heaven, hell, etc. While I'm in no hurry, I don't worry about when it will be as long as things are in order and I've done my best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2018, 02:40 PM

6,940 posts, read 7,338,710 times
I'm 'only' 57, and was raised in a very religious family, so our bent has always been toward the 'spiritual.'
As in your relationship with God is paramount; live by your values, the "inside" of a person is more important than the 'outside'; people and relationships are more important than being materialistic; and "tomorrow is not promised to any man."

I don't think about how much time I have left. But at my age I just realize I've got less time left, than I've already lived.
Once that sank in, I started to ask myself -- IF I go today, am I ready? So I started doing a personal 'spiritual' inventory, if you will.

Now, IF I die sooner rather than later -- I'm at peace with that.
I've always tried to live with no regrets. And I really don't have too many. And no major ones.

So, IF someone is one my mind -- I call them. IF there's something I feel I should say -- I say it. IF there's something I've decided is NOT worth fighting over -- I let it go.

I've accepted that I just may not get to do all the things I've planned or hoped to do.
And....IF I don't get to do some of the things that I thought I would (for example trips I wanted to take) -- oh well. I'm OK with that.

Old 02-16-2018, 03:06 PM

10,150 posts, read 12,431,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
Sometimes I start to think about how much time I have left in life, but my mind can't seem to stay on it. It's as if something is making me distract myself from this thought.

If you do think about this, what kinds of things do you think about?
Yes, I figure between 12 and 16 years. 82 to 86 years old.

Death doesn't scare me it will happen to us all eventually.

Old 02-16-2018, 03:12 PM

3,932 posts, read 4,718,819 times
Sure. There's a family history of cancer and I'm almost 71 (already over the ages that 3 family members died of cancer). I also know that wives don't always survive past their husbands death. Two couples in the family with the husband surviving longer. I try, but know I need more exercise. My diet needs to be improved. Not easy!

Old 02-16-2018, 03:26 PM

1,208 posts, read 674,715 times
Most in my family live to 95-102, still pretty sharp and living in their own homes until perhaps the last weeks. Usually die with a short illness of about a week (pneumonia).

My fear is physical infirmity and/or dementia. I don't want to be a shell sitting in a wheelchair in memory care.

But for daily living, I generally don't think about it as DH and I are active, enjoy traveling and other activities. Planning another trip to Europe for 70th birthday and we walk and tour non-stop for 2-3 weeks.

Old 02-16-2018, 04:49 PM

8,633 posts, read 9,724,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
Sometimes I start to think about how much time I have left in life, but my mind can't seem to stay on it. It's as if something is making me distract myself from this thought.

If you do think about this, what kinds of things do you think about?

I think we all think about it as we get older. For me it's a fleeting thought...maybe because I just don't WANT to think about it...and I'm back to doing whatever I was doing.

I remember waking up on my 60th birthday and thought about "how many years do I have left?". I figured if I was in line with my family history I still had a good 25 years, or more, left. I was satisfied with that. THEN, this last year I turned 75 and thought, "Wow! Only TEN more years left and how fast it does fly by!". That makes me start to think about things in the past and when I realize how long ago they happened it doesn't seem possible. Seems like only a couple of years ago. It's like when I think about my divorce. I've been single for over 20 years now but it seems like my marriage was a lot more recent than that. I mean 20 years?!?!? That's a long time but the memories are clear as a bell. And it has flown by, way too fast.

Old 02-16-2018, 05:34 PM

830 posts, read 570,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrasser View Post
It's always on my mind...My parents went out early.
I try to enjoy life to the fullest, nobody knows what's around the corner.
Mine didn't live that long either. Their parents on both sides died in a range from early 50's to mid-60's. Same with the prior generation. I don't believe I'll make old bones. I've been straightening out my affairs (investments, possessions, will, insurance, college funds) for a couple of years now.

My only heirs, my children, are now 20 and 22. I worry a lot about how they will cope if I just keel over. They haven't acquired much life experience or "street smarts" yet. Not to mention they're both still living at home and working on their undergraduate degrees.

At 58, I feel that I'm on borrowed time, and every day is a gift.

Old 02-16-2018, 05:43 PM

2,240 posts, read 949,237 times
I think about it because of my age(early 60ís)and my health(serious heart disease). Like most men of my generation I thought I was Superman until I developed heart disease in my 40ís. Now, I know just how mortal I am and how that life can be over in a second. Mortality can be a depressing thought,or it can be used to prioritize your life.

Old 02-16-2018, 06:48 PM

8,048 posts, read 5,932,049 times
Woke up this morning and pulled the sheet off my face for myself once again.
"Winner, winner, winner!"

Old 02-16-2018, 07:02 PM

1,208 posts, read 674,715 times
So true that time seems to go so much faster when you are older. When I was a kid, for example, summer vacation seemed to last forever. Now whole months and years seems to fly by.

I remember my mother at age 95 shaking her head sadly and saying, "I just don't know where all the time went!".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or