U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2018, 12:11 PM

7,977 posts, read 11,655,757 times

Advertisements

Oh boy - yes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2018, 12:18 PM

3,876 posts, read 1,648,337 times
There really isn't any way to know how much time you've got left--unless you're due for execution on a particular date. Even with that, you could drop dead earlier, or get a stay of execution.

I'd rather not know, and spend my time enjoying life, not fearing death.

Old 02-17-2018, 12:19 PM

5,425 posts, read 3,445,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lathemanjack View Post
when i was 25 my grandfather died at 91 and i thought,wow granpap was retired longer than i've been alive such along time not to have to work. well that same thought occurred to me when i retired at 65 except,yikes only 25 yrs left that's not much time.
That's interesting that you assume you'll live to age 91.

Old 02-17-2018, 05:06 PM

948 posts, read 537,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
Sometimes I start to think about how much time I have left in life, but my mind can't seem to stay on it. It's as if something is making me distract myself from this thought.

If you do think about this, what kinds of things do you think about?
It had never occurred to me until my doctor was speaking about how many more times I would need certain diagnostic tests.. I was shocked to realize how little time I have left....I am trying to finish a PhD at the age of 71 for my own satisfaction. I also wonder if I will go gaga before I finish it.

Old 02-17-2018, 05:17 PM

5,425 posts, read 3,445,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmm0484 View Post
It had never occurred to me until my doctor was speaking about how many more times I would need certain diagnostic tests.. I was shocked to realize how little time I have left....I am trying to finish a PhD at the age of 71 for my own satisfaction. I also wonder if I will go gaga before I finish it.
This is a fascinating thread. How could you be 71 and never have thought about death, mortality, and how much time you have left?

Or maybe you thought about death and mortality a little but not much, but you had never actually calculated how much time you might have left.

Or maybe working on your Phd at age 71 had put you into a state of mind where future death did not occupy any part of your mind.

One senior on City-Data (not in this thread) claimed he never had thought about whether he was afraid of death or not. I found that inconceivable to never have thought about it. I realize that many Christians (and some other religious people) do not fear death or very little. I don't think this person is religious.

Old 02-17-2018, 05:41 PM

8,760 posts, read 10,834,959 times
I think more about how old I am (70) and how quickly I got here, than about how long I've got left. The last 25-30-years (10 retired) are almost a blur. I sometimes think, "Even if I live to be 100, the end will be here so quickly that I will look back on today and think .... "Where in the world did the time go?""

Old 02-17-2018, 05:42 PM

6,615 posts, read 3,742,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
There was recently a study on which states have the best quality of life and a thread about the study on City-Data. Average life span in my state is 77. That means if I am average I have five more years and my husband has two more years. Food for thought for sure.

My husband and I discussed the idea that we may not have that much longer to live. We also discussed that each person has something inside that wants to live on earth as long as possible. We feel blessed that we are still functioning and taking care of each other. A cousin's wife my age passed away this month.

If you are still alive there is a reason and something else you need to contribute. We all have to figure out what that is.
I don't think that everyone has that thing inside. For some, it's the journey, not the length of the trip. It's living how you want vs. living longer. Adventurous people, usu. males, make the decision every time they climb a mountain, get into a race car, go sky gliding, etc. And others just don't have that need to keep on keepin' on, esp when faced with advanced years living with Alzheimer's or terminal cancer.

Old 02-17-2018, 05:48 PM

5,214 posts, read 3,628,854 times
Quote:
Sometimes I start to think about how much time I have left in life, but my mind can't seem to stay on it. It's as if something is making me distract myself from this thought.

I'll turn 81 in July and I think about it every time I buy bananas. I generally don't buy green ones any more.

Old 02-17-2018, 06:00 PM

6,615 posts, read 3,742,110 times
I think about it a lot. I'm a planner. I haven't been able to plan the ending years well, though, and that worries me. That's because I live alone and don't have kids. I'm not worried I'll have a heart attack alone. That would be a good way to go. But I do worry about getting so inform or feeble that I can't live independently. I have no one to help me, if that happens. I think that the "homes" are not that good to people who have no one to check up on them. I have relatives, but I'll likely be in a different city, and we are not on close personal terms.

So I haven't worked out those ending years yet. I think about that a lot.

I have a couple of options in mind, but not sure. I just don't want to go into a nursing home and get bed sores and break a hip or anything of the horrible things I know happen there.

Both of my grandmothers lived to their late 80's. So I think it's likely I'll live to my 90s. I hope I don't live to 100 because I don't have the money for that. I WOULD have to go into a home at that age! OTOH, people get cancer more often these days, so maybe I'll die before my time.

Maybe I should move to a state where marijuana is legal, not only to ease the pain of any future cancer, but also just to mellow out as I age, so at least I'll have a good time while waiting for the end.

Old 02-17-2018, 06:05 PM

8,947 posts, read 7,725,979 times
Quote:

The analytical part of me (at age 75) says I do not have that much time left. The living and enjoying lie part of me (which it the controlling part) says just keep doing it. We shall see.......LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or