U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2018, 06:14 PM

3,658 posts, read 2,813,737 times

Advertisements

My mother is still alive at 96, although she doesn’t know anyone. My aunt(her sister) is still alive at 98 and is sharp as a tack. My uncle lived to 92, and only because he got the flu and then pneumonia. I take after that side of the family. My grandmother on that side lived to 85 shooting herself with insulin every day since the 1930’s. The only ones who died earlier than late 80’s were drinkers.

I exercise, and I’m a Vegan. I take no medications currently at 68. I expect, barring an accident, to live into my late 80’s at least. My wife’s father lived to 95. Her mother was obese and still lived to 86.

Her father came downstairs on day when he was 94 and asked his wife where the woman he married was. She said, “I’m not that woman.” He said, “Oh no, my wife is about 120 lb and very pretty.”

One day, my wife took him to the doctor. He kept asking questions about what he was there for. Finally my wife told him it was for his diabetes. He said, “I have diabetes? When did I get that?” He had diabetes since he was 74. We should all forget the bad stuff.

He had dementia, and the doctor would ask him questions. One day on the way to the doctor he asked my sister in law, “So what day is it today?” and she told him. And then a little while later he asks, “Who is president?” and she told him. And then a little while later, “What did I have for breakfast this morning?” And she told him.

When they got into the doctor’s office, the doctor said: Don, do you know who is president? What day is it? What did you have for breakfast?” My father in law got all three questions right, and the doctor, said he seemed ok to him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2018, 06:16 PM

3,658 posts, read 2,813,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
I'll turn 81 in July and I think about it every time I buy bananas. I generally don't buy green ones any more.
You can always tell people who are retired vs people who are not.

When you ask a person working when they can come for dinner, they look at their calendar and give you a day in about 4-6 weeks. When you ask a retired person, they say, “How about tomorrow?"

Old 02-17-2018, 06:19 PM

5,429 posts, read 3,454,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post

But I do worry about getting so infirm or feeble that I can't live independently. I have no one to help me, if that happens. I think that the "homes" are not that good to people who have no one to check up on them. I have relatives, but I'll likely be in a different city, and we are not on close personal terms.
I NEVER worry about the above. I think it's probably because I'm absolutely terrified of dying and being dead that it is those thoughts that take preeminence.

I don't have anyone to help me. I still don't worry about it. I know this isn't foolproof but I figure I'll get some home care (in my apartment) somehow, if I need it, and advice etc (perhaps some type of help) from county social services or other organizations which offer services to older people. Maybe a volunteer or two too.

Last edited by matisse12; 02-17-2018 at 06:46 PM..

Old 02-17-2018, 06:59 PM

8,621 posts, read 9,689,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
I'll turn 81 in July and I think about it every time I buy bananas. I generally don't buy green ones any more.

LOL...my daughter told me that I shouldn't buy green bananas anymore. Says I won't live to see them ripen. I have news for her...I'm gonna live a loooong time just to make her squirm.

Old 02-17-2018, 07:07 PM

8,621 posts, read 9,689,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
The analytical part of me (at age 75) says I do not have that much time left. The living and enjoying lie part of me (which it the controlling part) says just keep doing it. We shall see.......LOL

That's pretty much how I feel about it too. All of my grandparents lived to late 80s/early 90s. My dad would have lived longer if he hadn't had so many health issues his whole life as a consequence of wrecking his plane when young. He died at 84. My birth mom died at 44 but that was a boating accident on the Oregon coast so who knows how long she would have lived? I have some powerful genes in my family. No deaths from any really bad disease except for two deaths from cancer back in the 70s. I have a huge family, counting both sides, so I'd say we are pretty darn lucky. I always say that in my family we either die young and tragic or old and worn out. I think I'm heading for the "old and worn out". As you say, "We shall see.....".

Old 02-17-2018, 07:50 PM

825 posts, read 565,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
I NEVER worry about the above. I think it's probably because I'm absolutely terrified of dying and being dead that it is those thoughts that take preeminence.

I don't have anyone to help me. I still don't worry about it. I know this isn't foolproof but I figure I'll get some home care (in my apartment) somehow, if I need it, and advice etc (perhaps some type of help) from county social services or other organizations which offer services to older people. Maybe a volunteer or two too.
I don't think there's anything to fear in death. It will be like turning out a light. One moment, you're here. The next, you're gone.

It's my loved ones I'm worried about, after I've gone. I hope I don't die until they've finished their educations and are somewhat settled in life, independent of me.

Old 02-17-2018, 08:27 PM
Status: "North of Palm Trees, South of High Taxes" (set 11 days ago)

5,609 posts, read 6,698,534 times
I think about how much time I have left quite a bit! I love being retired and could keep on doing it for another 100 years if I could. I often think about the ending scene of Stephen King's The Green Mile, where the late character actor Dabbs Greer potrays an "old Tom Hanks" lamenting the passing of his family and friends. The mouse you see Tom Hanks pick up is from the year 1937 and is still alive in the movie in 2000. Mice normally live about 2 years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YbVsEhNuT0

I'd be willing to walk the Green Mile ...especially if I could still walk in the end! The oldest documented person was Jeanne Calment, a French woman who live to 122. 1875-1997. When she was a kid, she bought paint brushes at the art store for Van Gogh!

Old 02-17-2018, 10:48 PM

5,440 posts, read 2,767,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
That's quite a duality and dichotomy and two opposing opposites. On one hand you've been suicidal for decades, and on the other hand you want to live to 100.
Well, I wasn't depressed when I posted that. LOL

Actually, I still have depression but it's not as bad as it's been. It still hits me hard now and then, to the point where I wonder if I should even bother going on. I stay like that a couple of days, then get over it. It's part of living.

Meantime, I'm partly excited and partly overwhelmed by buying a place of my own. So now I have the thought of getting some land and planting saplings that I want to stay alive long enough to see grow into big trees.

Which reminds me of a story Erma Bombeck told once. She brought her mother with her to a nursery to pick out some trees. The man there saw them looking at a tree and told her mother, just to warn her, that these trees were very slow growing. Erma's mother, who I think was about 70 or so at the time, just snapped back, "Well, when they get too tall, I'll trim them."

As long as I can, I'll take that attitude.

Old 02-17-2018, 11:01 PM

6,591 posts, read 3,674,133 times
At 69 I don’t give it a great deal of thought right now — maybe I will in a while. I could be hit by a bus tomorrow. There’s no guarantee.

Old 02-18-2018, 12:35 AM

4,407 posts, read 5,929,861 times
I'm 68 and don't think about it....however, with all the aches and pain I have at this age, which have drastically affected my quality of life, I cannot imagine living another 20 years. But I think about my Mom, who in the last six or seven years of her life, really went downhill physically. She was really frail, kept falling and eventually couldn't even walk and was in a wheelchair in assisted-living. You might think at her age (89) and with all these problems, she'd be thinking it's time to go. In my opinion, there really wasn't much quality to her life at that point. But no! She was still happy, reading her newspaper every day, getting riled up about politics, and enjoying even the things she said she'd NEVER do, like playing Bingo....and then complaining that the Activities Director shouldn't be allowed to run Bingo and also play Bingo. She just amazed me, and I really thought there was a good chance she'd make it to 90, even though none of her 10 siblings had made it past 85. Alas, she fell, hit her head, causing a brain bleed that she didn't survive. I'm glad at least that the end was swift for her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or