Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2018, 08:18 AM

3,925 posts, read 4,127,052 times

Advertisements

Everyday. I have work yet to do, and I have to pace myself like a long distance runner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2018, 08:20 AM

3,925 posts, read 4,127,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGene View Post
No, not exactly. But I have a goal.

I retired at 55 with 34 years of service.
I have a friends father who did that. He worked for Dupont for 30 years retiring at age 65. His only focus was to live to 95, and after a month of that birthday: He died. Focused old coot.

Old 02-17-2018, 08:21 AM

11,046 posts, read 6,632,416 times
I think about it a lot, just due to aches and pains, wondering what quality of life is ahead?

Facing the unpleasant and costly task of getting a will done in our new country. $800 seems really high, but that's just the way it is. It isn't fair to leave a sibling with the daunting prospect of a property in a foreign country to deal with. No kids, so not an automatic progression. The POD on the U.S. accounts has to be done.

Grandparents passed in late 90s, parents in mid 80s, so if that trend continues---we're looking at mid 70s. Maybe a "few good years" left....

Old 02-17-2018, 09:23 AM

14,267 posts, read 6,947,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
There was recently a study on which states have the best quality of life and a thread about the study on City-Data. Average life span in my state is 77. That means if I am average I have five more years and my husband has two more years. Food for thought for sure.

My husband and I discussed the idea that we may not have that much longer to live. We also discussed that each person has something inside that wants to live on earth as long as possible. We feel blessed that we are still functioning and taking care of each other. A cousin's wife my age passed away this month.

If you are still alive there is a reason and something else you need to contribute. We all have to figure out what that is.
Carrying that thought to its logical conclusion... if I keep putting off figuring out what that is, or procrastinate, I will keep on living longer

Old 02-17-2018, 10:06 AM

18,757 posts, read 11,787,488 times
Entering my 6th decade was hard for me because people in my family don't make it out of this decade, so yes. I think about how little time I have left. It might only be a couple of more years. Who knows. I worry more about my husband being alone then I do about my own demise. I watched hundreds of people die during my 25+ years in health care. I'm kind of immune to it. I don't want John to be alone for decades. Just about everyone in his family lives into their 90's.

I think that's why I do only what I want to do and vowed in my 50's that what ever made me unhappy had to go, including jobs. I've already lived the best years of my life, so, every day that's filled with fun is a gift. It's just one day at a time these days.

Old 02-17-2018, 10:12 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,466,846 times
I spent my entire working life focused on the future. Now that I'm retired I refuse to play that foolish life-wasting game. Today is what counts. I live in the moment, and I'm happier for it.

If I die tomorrow, only this earthly life will end along with all the pain and sadness that naturally accompanies it. My soul and everything I learned will return to its Maker. That's my faith, and I'll also happier because of it.

Old 02-17-2018, 10:29 AM

15,250 posts, read 12,947,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charisb View Post
If it helps, Johnny Cash didn't write that song. Trent Reznor wrote it when he was about 28 years old. ;-)
I never said Johnny Cash wrote that song. Nor even implied it.

Would it have helped your clarity if I'd said the performance was powerful?

Old 02-17-2018, 10:34 AM

3,677 posts, read 2,558,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
Sometimes I start to think about how much time I have left in life, but my mind can't seem to stay on it. It's as if something is making me distract myself from this thought.

If you do think about this, what kinds of things do you think about?
So unfortunately as some of you have heard me say before I went through a period between 2013 and 2016 where every year i lost some one close to me.
2013. my husband dies
2014 my baby brother dies
2106 my very best friend of 30years died.

All of them were 52 and under.

Talk about hitting home, I serious was scared to answer the phone for a while.

Anyhoo that brought home the fact that life is short.

Old 02-17-2018, 11:09 AM

130 posts, read 74,777 times
when i was 25 my grandfather died at 91 and i thought,wow granpap was retired longer than i've been alive such along time not to have to work. well that same thought occurred to me when i retired at 65 except,yikes only 25 yrs left that's not much time.

Old 02-17-2018, 11:46 AM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,617,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
There is a substantial difference between a relatively healthy 75 year old and a 75 year old who is completely broken down. If you're in the former, I wouldn't be imminently nervous. No, you probably don't have four years ahead of you, but you may very well have five to ten more years before you become less able.
My doctor says unless I get some illness, I can probably live to 90. Nobody really knows about their next breath.

My Dad died of cancer at 58 and my great grandpa lived to his late 90's. I probably will be more like my mother who lived until a week before her 85th birthday. I'm just taking it one day at a time.

Today I have vacuumed the entire house except the kitchen and bathrooms. The second load of clothes are in the washer and the first load in the dryer. Third load is waiting for those two to finish. I plan to steam clean the kitchen floor next. Crock pot is cooking a pork butt that will end up being Sunday barbecue. I am getting ready to make instant potatoes to go with my beef and vegetable soup for lunch. Life is good. Hope yours is.

Our aquatic center with all the gym trimmings is about to celebrate its 20th anniversary and we have been members since it opened. In the mornings it basically becomes a senior citizen center. Best decision our county seat has ever made was to build that center.

Last edited by NCN; 02-17-2018 at 12:02 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement