U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2018, 05:13 AM

13,964 posts, read 7,434,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
That I understand. I don't understand the white part. Most credit cards were white in the past. What it a colloquialism?
In French, the historical meaning was a military term for "unconditional surrender". Your army just got crushed in battle. You sign a white sheet of paper. The victor can then fill in whatever surrender terms they want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2018, 05:46 AM

2,473 posts, read 1,075,739 times
now you got me curious and I found this.

Origin

Late 17th century: French, literally ‘blank paper’ (i.e. a blank sheet on which to write whatever one wishes, particularly one's own terms for an agreement).

Old 02-17-2018, 06:29 AM

6,572 posts, read 8,001,000 times
Everyone my age (medicare plus) should know what the colloquialism carte blanche means. It is the "freedom to do" card. The sky is the limit. Taken in a positive way. That is the key. You have carte blanche to plan a wedding. Carte blanche to dress to the nines. Carte blanche to build your inventory. Carte blanche to plan the company picnic. Whoever is footing the bill or bearing responsibility trusts you.

Kind of like a blank check if for financial matters, or a letter of acknowledgement from a person in charge.

Old 02-17-2018, 06:40 AM

11,151 posts, read 8,559,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
now you got me curious and I found this.

Origin

Late 17th century: French, literally ‘blank paper’ (i.e. a blank sheet on which to write whatever one wishes, particularly one's own terms for an agreement).
Oh. I get it. I've heard the term carte Blanche but never heard it translated to English. Lol

Old 02-17-2018, 06:49 AM

37,144 posts, read 45,685,601 times
It means “blank slate”, not white card. It means “anything goes”. It may have been used to refer to a credit card at some later time.

Old 02-17-2018, 06:55 AM

250 posts, read 649,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
What's on my mind right now is another tenant in my building who has dementia. I just started a thread in the Caregiving forum asking if anyone has experience with Adult Protective Services. He is getting worse and has been wearing the same pajamas for weeks, and appears to be getting thinner. Supposedly he has a daughter who checks him, but he needs round the clock supervision and he's not getting it. I don't think he's bathing and maybe not even eating.

Management has just asked me to email them regularly to document his behavior. Apparently they are documenting and trying to get help for him, or to force his daughter to find him assisted living, I don't know.

But, I'm thinking I will call APS on Monday. Was wondering if that might do more harm than good. It's so sad. He always asks everyone what day it is, and now can't even find his own apartment. He has the number written on a piece of paper. So sad. I'm worried about him.
My thoughts are to call APS as soon as possible, and leave them to figure out why the daughters are not taking care of the situation. If he is unable to take care of himself and uncertain of where he lives and the danger he is in of not turning a stove off etc makes him a danger to himself. He can be 5150’d by the police then something has to be done. Poor old man. Imagine how scary it must be for him.

Old 02-17-2018, 08:23 AM

1,036 posts, read 788,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
And thread hijacks are allowed to slide.

When I went though this, it's pretty painful in the state where I dealt with it. You need a physician's assessment filled out in a very specific way on a state form. You then have to go to court to get a legal guardian appointed. Good luck getting the physician's assessment for anyone who isn't cooperative. In court, the judge is going to be very reluctant to grant guardianship for anyone who fights it. It's a bunch of money for the lawyers which might be why the daughter isn't doing it.

Where I live, there are town or county social workers who handle this kind of thing. The main thing you want to do is talk to the social worker to make sure this guy is on their radar screen. "Management" might not have done this. In my town, I'd just poke my nose into the Elderly Affairs office. Every state manages this differently but it's likely it will always end up you talking to a social worker to make sure they're aware of the issue.
It was completely different here in Ohio. In 2014 mom had had dementia for years, and dad was dying. The hospital called my sister to come there and handle mom, as she was sundowning and wandering around. Mom did not do well living alone, and refused any offers of assistance such as paying for an aide or subscribing to a meal service. Mom was losing weight from not eating, even though there was food in the house.

The first time mom talked about dying or suicide, I dropped what I was doing and stopped to make sure she was all right. The second time (a few days later) mom called my sister, who drove to mom's house and then called me. I instructed my sister to call 911 and explain the situation.

At that point mom lost all control of her life. The volunteer squad and 2 deputies arrived. Mom was hospitalized, put in a psychiatric hold for about a month, and then put into assisted living. Mom was not happy, but thankfully came around and realized she was not capable of taking care of herself.

Old 02-17-2018, 12:23 PM

6,130 posts, read 9,093,524 times
Huh? I don't get it. Who started this "White Card" stuff? If anything goes, does that mean no Mod will ever interfere with anything on here? Are there rules or not? Who is in charge? The dumb ones want to know....

Old 02-17-2018, 01:42 PM

1,559 posts, read 1,053,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgarden View Post
Huh? I don't get it. Who started this "White Card" stuff? If anything goes, does that mean no Mod will ever interfere with anything on here? Are there rules or not? Who is in charge? The dumb ones want to know....
Not that anything goes but if we want to talk about certain subjects that already have forums here the thread doesn't have to be moved to that topic's forum because we speak of these things in relation to retirement or aging. For example if we start a thread about finances in retirement it doesn't have to be moved to an Economics subforum. If we talk about driving it doesn't have to go to automotive, etc.

There is a sticky at the top of this forum about not reporting these sorts of threads as for being in the incorrect subforum.

Please, don't report all general threads as off topic

Old 02-17-2018, 01:56 PM

5,429 posts, read 3,456,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post

What it a colloquialism?
Anytime you want to know the definitions of a word or verify the spelling of a word, just type the word into google.com.

The definitions come right up just by typing in that one word.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or