U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2018, 08:21 AM

5,788 posts, read 4,841,461 times

Advertisements

NoMoreSnow, You could also check in your phone book under the name "Gatekeeper program", or enter those words with the name of your county into Google. It might be listed under county agencies in the white pages, or just under G. Gatekeeper programs are designed to help assess the needs of elderly and determine which agencies or resources can be brought into a situation such as you describe. I remember in Sacramento we had such a program and as a customer rep on the phones I called them a few times to do welfare check and assessment on customers I was very worried about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2018, 12:31 PM

4,654 posts, read 3,706,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Also known as Carte Blanche. Basically means anything goes. I appreciate that in our/this section of C-D we use can discuss any topic. Be it cell phones to long term care heath insurance. Just want to give a thank you to the the mods for allowing us old folks to babble about any topic.
We all have a little bit of Grandpa Simpson in us:

"We can't bust heads like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to tell 'em stories that don't go anywhere - like the time I caught the ferry over to Shelbyville. I needed a new heel for my shoe, so, I decided to go to Morganville, which is what they called Shelbyville in those days. So I tied an onion to my belt, which was the style at the time. Now, to take the ferry cost a nickel, and in those days, nickels had pictures of bumblebees on 'em. Give me five bees for a quarter, you'd say.

Now where were we? Oh yeah: the important thing was I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. They didn't have white onions because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones..."

(at the school) "My story begins in nineteen-dickety-two. We had to say dickety because the Kaiser had stolen our word twenty. I chased that rascal to get it back, but gave up after dickety-six miles. (the children laugh) What are you cackling at, fatty? Too much pie, that's your problem! Now, I'd like to digress from my prepared remarks to discuss how I invented the terlet..."

Grandpa Simpson

(source)

Old 02-18-2018, 02:26 PM

21,877 posts, read 14,390,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
And thread hijacks are allowed to slide.

When I went though this, it's pretty painful in the state where I dealt with it. You need a physician's assessment filled out in a very specific way on a state form. You then have to go to court to get a legal guardian appointed. Good luck getting the physician's assessment for anyone who isn't cooperative. In court, the judge is going to be very reluctant to grant guardianship for anyone who fights it. It's a bunch of money for the lawyers which might be why the daughter isn't doing it.
This should not be an issue for the OP. Once the daughter realizes the extent of her fatherís distress, it is up to her to act. Often an adult child can deal with a vulnerable parent without involving the court system. We did. Our mother could no longer handle the tasks of daily living. It was hard, but we got her placed in an ALF, and managed her affairs until she passed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or