U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2018, 01:52 PM

1,906 posts, read 678,008 times

Advertisements

When I was a little girl (3?) there was a salon known as LeRoy's in Richmond, Virginia. LeRoy serviced everyone. There were sinks and hairdryers in the back for the ladies to be set and styled. I remember it as decorated very fancy. Tapestry like curtains separating the back and the front. The whole place seemed elegant, at least to me at the time.

All haircuts for men women and children were done in the front. There was a white marble counter and ornate barber chairs. Aside from metal work, I remember dark brown leather upholstery, a head rest, and for me, a leather covered slab that rested across the arms of the chair to boost me up for my haircut. My mother would pick me up from the chair when my pixie was complete, and LeRoy always gave me a lollipop.

This tradition went on until I was around 6, and told my mom I wanted long hair like Cher of Sonny and Cher. I have never had the pleasure of beholding such a chair, or a full service salon like that, again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2018, 02:03 PM
mlb

3,196 posts, read 2,865,272 times
My spouse is a former barber. His dad was a barber and fled Austria when he was 17 one step ahead of the Nazis.

My spouse quit the business because his back was killing him and he hated having his hands in water and he did aspire to do other things. We do, however, have lifelong friends from that time.

My spouse - gets his haircuts at Cheap cuts.

He says he would never survive in that environment. The "culture" of real barbering is gone. Sadly.

Old 02-18-2018, 04:34 PM

5,440 posts, read 2,773,397 times
I know I'm far more involved in what goes on politically and every other way than I used to be. My mother asked me once why I got so wound up about abortion. "You'll never have to worry about it, " she said. She's right, and sometimes I think I could just retire from worrying about the state of the world. My mom doesn't care about anythng that's not going on right under her nose and it's seems like such an easy way to live.

But then, I read another article about another law that's passed about abortion and I find myself getting involved again. I don't know when I'm going to lay down and let someone else worry about things.

As for mementos, I have managed to get a pretty decent family tree of all sets of my great-grandparents. I've got copies of the ships' logs of when they came over to the US, pictures of grave sites, and even a rare old picture of my dad's father whom no one ever talks about.

And no one wants them. My sister-in-law, the only one of the family to have kids to pass these things on to, isn't interested. Her son has no interest. I can only hope that his son, my grand-nephew, will one day be interested in having pictures of people in his past and want to know about where they came from. Otherwise, I know when I die all this stuff will be thrown out in the trash.

Old 02-18-2018, 05:19 PM

28,285 posts, read 39,947,386 times
Yeah. After I scanned all that stuff it ended up with my sisters son. He seemed to be the only one interested, but not too much. I doubt his son will have any interest so I expect it to all be in the trash in a few years. If it isn't already.

I find it amazing that I have more interest in this than others in the family. I'm the only one without children.

Old 02-18-2018, 09:58 PM

8,047 posts, read 5,909,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
<>I find it amazing that I have more interest in this than others in the family. I'm the only one without children.
Ask around. Very few people know anything about their grandparents. If you ask about great-grandparents they probably don't even know where they were born.
"I'm pretty vague about it myself but we know the names"

Old 02-18-2018, 10:25 PM

2,971 posts, read 2,757,054 times
This reminded me of the movie with Billy Bob Thornton, The Man Who Wasn't There. Thx! I had not thought of this movie probably since seeing it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8AE-25r3TE

Old 02-19-2018, 07:20 AM

21,698 posts, read 23,696,516 times
For those of us who were not brought up in the gun culture of Appalachia to which the OP refers, I recommend the very excellent book “Hillbilly Elegy: A Memoir of a Family and Culture in Crisis” by J.D. Vance. It was recommended to me by a friend who lives in West VA.

It explains the mindset of the gun carrying barber. It also reveals that part of the American culture that encompasses the need for the ownership of guns as a needed possession for those of us who were not brought up in that culture.

Old 02-19-2018, 07:30 AM

23,651 posts, read 17,632,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
I don't mind paying $20 for a haircut at a barber shop ... if I get a good haircut. However, you go to some of the old guys, you have to remind them to shave your neck, trim your eyebrows, and a couple other things. Too often, you are paying $20 for what is essentially an $8 haircut.

As for younger male barbers, they are many of them around here, especially in Hispanic and Asian areas. Do remember, a lot of the older guys learned their trade in the Armed Services.
The older barbers have always complained that men's barbering is a dying trade. To some extent, I think that's correct.

Funny you mention the neck shave. The younger guy did a hot neck shave. Clarence also said he was too afraid of diseases like AIDS and hepatitis to do it these days.

When I lived in Indiana, there was a barbershop on the Main St. in the town I lived in in. It was packed on the weekends, and it was mostly dads with little boys. The barbers I'd been going to had a customer base that was basically 70+. Business kept dropping off as the customers died off.

Passing of the torch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
For those of us who were not brought up in the gun culture of Appalachia to which the OP refers, I recommend the very excellent book “Hillbilly Elegy: A Memoir of a Family and Culture in Crisis” by J.D. Vance. It was recommended to me by a friend who lives in West VA.

It explains the mindset of the gun carrying barber. It also reveals that part of the American culture that encompasses the need for the ownership of guns as a needed possession for those of us who were not brought up in that culture.
I had a few minor disagreements with the book, but I think Hillbilly Elegy "got it" in a way most people from outside the area will simply never understand. I grew up in a stable home, but other than that, Vance's story could be my story.

With that said, I rarely see anyone openly carrying. A few times per year, at most. The younger barber is not in a good neighborhood and there is a rundown trailer park immediately beside his shop.

Old 02-19-2018, 08:59 AM
mlb

3,196 posts, read 2,865,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
The older barbers have always complained that men's barbering is a dying trade. To some extent, I think that's correct.

Funny you mention the neck shave. The younger guy did a hot neck shave. Clarence also said he was too afraid of diseases like AIDS and hepatitis to do it these days.

When I lived in Indiana, there was a barbershop on the Main St. in the town I lived in in. It was packed on the weekends, and it was mostly dads with little boys. The barbers I'd been going to had a customer base that was basically 70+. Business kept dropping off as the customers died off.

Passing of the torch.

My husband left barbering in 1990. A clientele of 150. All men.

He had a steady business in the San Fernando Valley - which is where much of Hollywood lived. And had clients that got trims every 3 weeks. This was not a $6.99 cut either. More like $20 plus tip.

Old 02-19-2018, 09:29 AM

14,267 posts, read 24,025,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post

I am NOT a big proponent for carrying firearms.

However, men's non-chain barbershops are a cash business. A good barber might get $25 a haircut for 10-12 haircuts a day. Many of the shops I have been to have 5-6 barbers. By the end of the day, that is over $1k for the shop as a whole.

For some of the street criminals, that is seen to be easy pickings for an armed robbery, like in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2iFo1TrYMq4
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement