U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2018, 10:19 AM

3,373 posts, read 3,782,718 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
For those of us who were not brought up in the gun culture of Appalachia to which the OP refers, I recommend the very excellent book “Hillbilly Elegy: A Memoir of a Family and Culture in Crisis” by J.D. Vance. It was recommended to me by a friend who lives in West VA.

It explains the mindset of the gun carrying barber. It also reveals that part of the American culture that encompasses the need for the ownership of guns as a needed possession for those of us who were not brought up in that culture.
I just finished that book after seeing J.D. Vance on "Face the Nation". It was VERY interesting, and I grew up in the Mid West.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2018, 10:22 AM

5,392 posts, read 6,530,997 times
OP

I did pass the torch come to think of it. My mother's people were southern Appalachian hillbillies who only left their lifestyle when the government made them move out to build TVA lakes and the Great Smoky Mountains National Park.

So while visiting my kids in Knoxville, I took the Grandchildren to Cade's Cove in GSMNP where their ancestors established their pioneer homes and is now a tourist pioneer village.

My granddaughter was entranced to see our family names belonging to cabins and gristmills. My grandson loved the old wooden plows and farm equipment. We spent the day exploring. I doubt I will go back but they took their parents back and now know their roots.

I teach them Appalachian ballads and give them children's biographies of frontiersmen, settlers, and pioneers of the Carolinas and east Tennessee.

So I guess we all pass on what we know OP.

Old 02-19-2018, 12:19 PM

21,699 posts, read 23,655,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post
OP

I did pass the torch come to think of it. My mother's people were southern Appalachian hillbillies who only left their lifestyle when the government made them move out to build TVA lakes and the Great Smoky Mountains National Park.

So while visiting my kids in Knoxville, I took the Grandchildren to Cade's Cove in GSMNP where their ancestors established their pioneer homes and is now a tourist pioneer village.

My granddaughter was entranced to see our family names belonging to cabins and gristmills. My grandson loved the old wooden plows and farm equipment. We spent the day exploring. I doubt I will go back but they took their parents back and now know their roots.

I teach them Appalachian ballads and give them children's biographies of frontiersmen, settlers, and pioneers of the Carolinas and east Tennessee.

So I guess we all pass on what we know OP.
That’s great. I was a US history major but knew little about that part of the country other than what I read in some fiction books by Sharon McCrumb who writes her stories using the background of her Appalachian roots. Vance’s book was a revelation. But how wonderful to hear stories and songs verbally from family.

Old 02-19-2018, 03:46 PM

14,226 posts, read 44,887,015 times
Since we have veered over into Appalachian culture, another really good book on that, although more from a 1920's standpoint, is Horace Kephart's "Our Southern Highlanders". Guns, moonshine, relations with "flatlanders" (Did you know that if a flatlander moves into hillbilly country, because he has "book learnin'", he becomes the de-facto local doctor? Kephart relates how this happened to him.)

In a way, I sort of think I have carried on some of the traditions of my paternal grandfather, a "Hillbilly", more than my Dad did. More into independent living.

If the electric power goes down, even in the coldest part of the winter, I am hardly affected. Light some kerosene lanterns, keep the woodstove going as usual. A country boy can survive.

Old 02-20-2018, 03:30 AM

8,191 posts, read 11,905,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
When I contribute thoughtful, honest material, it gets no traction. When I post "crap," the threads go on for weeks. I can churn out either or, and you bet I'll keep churning out the "crap" that draws views. The deeper "SC" Americana posts - well, they'll fade into the background. "SC" will be fine, but "SC" has his owns views compared to me personally. Maybe I should just be "SC" and migrate on.
This is a very interesting comment and I wonder if everyone truly grasps what you've said here. Several people have surmised that much of what you write is fiction and you create it just to garner views. Now, not only have you basically confirmed that, you've even taken it a step further and have stated that ""Serious Conversation" is nothing more than a character you have created and that the views and opinions that you have expressed as "SC" aren't even necesarily your own; you just post them in order to get people to comment on what you've written. In other words, what this boils down to is that in effect you've been trolling the Retirement Forum community for months.

I wonder what others think of your admission that you've been less than honest with them and that you've been using their comments and responses to your fictional character for whatever ulterior motive you may have.

Old 02-20-2018, 07:17 AM

21,699 posts, read 23,655,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
This is a very interesting comment and I wonder if everyone truly grasps what you've said here. Several people have surmised that much of what you write is fiction and you create it just to garner views. Now, not only have you basically confirmed that, you've even taken it a step further and have stated that ""Serious Conversation" is nothing more than a character you have created and that the views and opinions that you have expressed as "SC" aren't even necesarily your own; you just post them in order to get people to comment on what you've written. In other words, what this boils down to is that in effect you've been trolling the Retirement Forum community for months.

I wonder what others think of your admission that you've been less than honest with them and that you've been using their comments and responses to your fictional character for whatever ulterior motive you may have.
Yes, I did get the same impression as you. Also the OP writes and expresses himself in the third person in his statement as if there may be even a third person lurking around somewhere in there. For me, it’s just one of the most bizarre statements I’ve ever read on CD.

Old 02-20-2018, 07:46 AM

1,088 posts, read 488,867 times
Quote:
Younger male barbers are hard to find around here. Barbering is, supposedly, a dying industry. Many men are going to Great Clips for an $8 cut rather than a local men's barber who knows his patrons.
That's a good deal, Great Clips charges me $14 around here.

Given all the commiserating I read about barber shops going the way of the dodo bird, why do you (in general, not just SC) think that is? It would seem like if the demand is there, this would be a case of free market economics and capitalism and a corresponding sufficient supply would exist.

Quote:
Ed is a World War II veteran and the definition of Americana.
What exactly is the "definition of Americana"? I know some folks jumped on the gun detail, this was another one that kind of struck me as a bit provocative. Who qualifies and who doesn't?

Re: the previous two posts... I've read a lot of SC's posts in many other threads and I didn't have reason to believe he was making things up elsewhere. So not sure what to make of that quote.

Old 02-20-2018, 07:56 AM

23,572 posts, read 17,544,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Yes, I did get the same impression as you. Also the OP writes and expresses himself in the third person in his statement as if there may be even a third person lurking around somewhere in there. For me, it’s just one of the most bizarre statements I’ve ever read on CD.
I don't talk about a lot of the subject matter I talk about on this forum (not just retirement) in real life. Right now, I guess you could describe my life as "heavily regimented." I go to work, go to the gym, grab something to eat (if I'm lucky, I leave town or do outdoors stuff on the weekend), and it seems like I'm not getting much else done. Frankly, I really don't have anyone to talk to about more than superficial topics.

By posting on these forums, we're all kind of an alter-ego to what we normally do/say in real life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyDancer View Post
That's a good deal, Great Clips charges me $14 around here.

Given all the commiserating I read about barber shops going the way of the dodo bird, why do you (in general, not just SC) think that is? It would seem like if the demand is there, this would be a case of free market economics and capitalism and a corresponding sufficient supply would exist.

What exactly is the "definition of Americana"? I know some folks jumped on the gun detail, this was another one that kind of struck me as a bit provocative. Who qualifies and who doesn't?

Re: the previous two posts... I've read a lot of SC's posts in many other threads and I didn't have reason to believe he was making things up elsewhere. So not sure what to make of that quote.
I think the whole cheap Great Clips/Sport Clips think has kind of eaten into the market overall, but locally, the problem seems to be more about most of the barbers being Silents or older, and both the barbers and their customer base are dying off. I've heard that a lot of "kids" end up being taken by their mothers to the "beauty shops" and never getting exposed to a traditional men's barber. I don't know if it's true, but it's what I've heard bandied about.

I'm thinking Americana in the Norman Rockwell, 1950s style. I grew up in Appalachia. I've lived in the Midwest. I grew up in a traditional, nuclear family. I have virtually nothing in common with an immigrant guy around my age who grew up raised by a single mom in Oakland. His worldview isn't my worldview. Neither is right or wrong, just prior experience.

Old 02-20-2018, 08:18 AM

1,452 posts, read 1,153,447 times
Quote:

By posting on these forums, we're all kind of an alter-ego to what we normally do/say in real life.
Speaking for yourself kiddo! I post about my life, my opinions, my view of the world just as what I experience, think and live in real life and not as what my alter-ego would.

This is a retirement discussion forum and not a fantasy, fiction or game forum. People of all walks of life share their real life experience, concerns, worries, joys and sometimes pains and sorrows. I hang around and participate because it's a helpful, supportive and friendly community of 'real' people.

Of course, there are the occasional trolls and pretenders but they usually disappear quickly. I sincerely hope that your 'alter-ego' is neither a troll nor a pretender.

Old 02-20-2018, 09:14 AM

1,602 posts, read 1,312,679 times
Quote:
I don't talk about a lot of the subject matter I talk about on this forum (not just retirement) in real life. Right now, I guess you could describe my life as "heavily regimented." I go to work, go to the gym, grab something to eat (if I'm lucky, I leave town or do outdoors stuff on the weekend), and it seems like I'm not getting much else done. Frankly, I really don't have anyone to talk to about more than superficial topics.

I think the whole cheap Great Clips/Sport Clips think has kind of eaten into the market overall, but locally, the problem seems to be more about most of the barbers being Silents or older, and both the barbers and their customer base are dying off. I've heard that a lot of "kids" end up being taken by their mothers to the "beauty shops" and never getting exposed to a traditional men's barber. I don't know if it's true, but it's what I've heard bandied about.

I’m definitely honest about my real life— it’s pretty good - so why be another person online? I can see that you are pretty unhappy with yours. You are the only one who can do anything about it.

As for hair and grooming—my husband and I go to the same professional full service salon. We don’t want to make friends with them —we want top notch hair, nail facial,massage, etc service. We have lots of friends.

As for Americana- I was brought up in a loving home, Parents Greatest Generation, three brothers, career (decorated) Marine Officer Father-served in WWII, Korea, Vietnam. Lots of extended family Thanksgivings-Easter egg roll at White House. Lived all over travelled as child and adult. Only small town I lived in (except when I was at my grandparents while father posted overseas ) is where I live now. I grew up in the 50’s with those of many races. That is the wonderful thing about being a military brat. You have a narrow view of the world—but that is not your fault.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement