Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2018, 09:10 AM

3,409 posts, read 4,887,682 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganGreg View Post
They're only a deadly weapon in my wife's hands. You should see my hair.
This made me laugh, especially because I have cut my husband's ear while cutting his hair!!
We weren't even married yet, and still, now 37 years later, he STILL brings it up! (Which reminds me..he needs his hairs cut again.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2018, 07:23 PM

5,888 posts, read 3,224,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
I think that's a great idea. Just keep it out of the Retirement forum.

In light of the fact that "SC" is now admitting he's just making stuff up, apparently because he has no other life, it does seem clear that his posts belong somewhere else.
I didn't see that in his post at all. At no time did he say he is just "making stuff up". He said that sometimes he posts serious content of a personal nature and sometimes he doesn't. You do realize that there are other sections besides Retirement on City-Data, right? I looked at his posting history, he posts all over the site, not just here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulsurv View Post
Totally AGREE! I don't understand WHY anyone would desire to come here to engage in a "Serious Conversation" with an alter-ego. Seems a bit pathological to me. When we discuss actual and pressing issues in our lives, it's a demonstration of trust - of reaching out to and sharing with strangers and NOT with some random "phantom" for whom these issues are a matter fictional fodder.

He should go and take a Creative Writing class somewhere if he needs that type of outlet for praise and validity. HIGHLY UNETHICAL, IMO.
He didn't say his posts are those of an "alter-ego" only that we are all alter-egos online because we are online and conversing about (mostly) trivial and non-personal topics, not serious ones.

He hasn't done anything unethical. All he has done that I can tell is use words you apparently don't understand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
It's not an accusation. Did you somehow miss the post where the OP himself stated that he created the character "SC" and that when he posts as "SC," the views he writes about are not necessarily his own?

He even went on to admit that sometimes he posts "honest material" and sometimes he posts threads that are "crap." Now I'm sure that some of his fanboys don't care, but I think others are going to feel cheated and used now that they know definitively that they have been manipulated by "SC" into caring and conversing with him about issues and concerns that were pure fiction.
It was indeed an accusation , and just to be totally accurate and forthright about my personal opinion, which I would like to make clear is only my own but is 100% genuine - I think you have reading comprehension problems, and a very poor and hostile attitude to boot.

Because your post isn't at all an accurate representation of what he posted. Just that some topics are frivolous and trivial and others are personal or more serious. At no time did he say he has posted anything that was "pure fiction".

Old 02-21-2018, 08:48 PM

11,177 posts, read 16,016,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompilot View Post
It was indeed an accusation , and just to be totally accurate and forthright about my personal opinion, which I would like to make clear is only my own but is 100% genuine - I think you have reading comprehension problems, and a very poor and hostile attitude to boot.

Because your post isn't at all an accurate representation of what he posted. Just that some topics are frivolous and trivial and others are personal or more serious. At no time did he say he has posted anything that was "pure fiction".
1. It is not I who has the reading comprehension problem. He stated specifically that the views he espouses as "SC" are not necessarily his own. And if you can't comprehend exactly what that means, then perhaps someone else can try to explain it to you. I'm not in the habit of teaching remedial reading to seniors.

2. I don't give a flying you-know-what about what you think of my attitude. And if that's too hostile for you, you can have someone explain to you how the ignore function works.

Old 02-22-2018, 06:07 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,580,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post

When I contribute thoughtful, honest material, it gets no traction. When I post "crap," the threads go on for weeks. I can churn out either or, and you bet I'll keep churning out the "crap" that draws views. The deeper "SC" Americana posts - well, they'll fade into the background. "SC" will be fine, but "SC" has his owns views compared to me personally. Maybe I should just be "SC" and migrate on.
You've written about your experiences with men and being bisexual in forums on City-Data other than Retirement Forum. Just curious, were your posts on that part of your life truthful or fabricated for what you term your 'crap' posts or for your alter-ego or for a character called SC?

And what were some of your threads or posts that fall into what you talk about above in this thread as your 'crap' posts? just a couple examples, so we understand better.....

Last edited by matisse12; 02-22-2018 at 06:52 PM..

Old 02-22-2018, 06:46 PM

1,734 posts, read 1,202,937 times
You know, I have my own issues with SC's posts occasionally, but this ^^^ seems unnecessarily provocative here.

Old 02-23-2018, 02:00 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,190,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComeCloser View Post
You are in NYC, therefore, you will never understand. Out in America, guns are only feared by criminals.
An interesting point.

Feeling I would probably not understand the Trans-Hudson Outback I moved many thousands of miles to the east to retire.

A great story, SC.

Old 02-23-2018, 02:29 AM

8,918 posts, read 4,649,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompilot View Post
I didn't see that in his post at all. At no time did he say he is just "making stuff up". He said that sometimes he posts serious content of a personal nature and sometimes he doesn't. You do realize that there are other sections besides Retirement on City-Data, right? I looked at his posting history, he posts all over the site, not just here.
I concur with what you wrote. [mod cut - name calling]

Quote:
He didn't say his posts are those of an "alter-ego" only that we are all alter-egos online because we are online and conversing about (mostly) trivial and non-personal topics, not serious ones.

He hasn't done anything unethical. All he has done that I can tell is use words you apparently don't understand.
Again, correct. Virtually all of us are a slightly different person in various conversations. I don't show the same persona to my waitress and to my co-workers. I don't usually show my unvarnished self on City Data, as most on here can't handle that.

SC isn't required to answer to any of his detractors.

Last edited by VTsnowbird; 02-23-2018 at 09:01 AM..

Old 02-23-2018, 02:42 AM

11,177 posts, read 16,016,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
I concur with what you wrote.
I see that the Remedial Reading Comprehension for Seniors class is filling up fast.

Old 02-23-2018, 03:28 AM

1,793 posts, read 3,350,353 times
[quote=phantompilot;51103015

.[/QUOTE]

Now THAT'S hilarious. Of course you are free to choose your own interpretation. Even if it's incorrect.

Old 02-23-2018, 03:53 AM

7,029 posts, read 4,894,868 times
So is SC saying there really is no Ed or Clarence?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement