Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2018, 03:07 PM

166 posts, read 116,883 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Not quite. My fra is at 66 so if i take ss early the amount of spousal is still based on what my full would have been not what i am getting. As long as the spouse receiving spousal is fra when spousal kicks in it is always based on subtracting 1/2 the higher fra amount from the lower fra amount and adding the difference to the lower early benefit.

If both are taking it early there is a calcultor because the formula is different
thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2018, 09:34 PM

3,319 posts, read 1,817,554 times
This is like the eighty-jillionth SS thread on CD alone.

I think that marriage should play no role in any benefits, anywhere, anytime, anyplace.

Marriage is BS .....so there!

Old 02-18-2018, 03:13 AM

106,668 posts, read 108,833,673 times
I agree . I think it is wrong to pay married people based on someone elses record . The choice not to work and stay home with kids is a personal choice . Singles have no such safety net .

But i am happy that is how they do it since it works in our favor , but like lots of things in life or our tax code there are things done that are really not the right thing to do anymore . In my parents generation moms stayed home . That is rare today and quite frankly there is no need to .

If that is a choice you make then you should have to live with the ramifications of that choice.

There will be loads of questions on ss because it iis one of the biggest financial decisions one makes in their life. It is a very complex system with lots of rules and twists and turns

Old 02-18-2018, 05:52 AM

106,668 posts, read 108,833,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PamelaIamela View Post
This is like the eighty-jillionth SS thread on CD alone.
There should be more questions then we see but to many base things on what if i die instead of the all more important what if i live .

Some people still grandfathered in for restricted application can leave as much as a 100k on the table not taken .

Others leave a spouse in poor shape with severely reduced survivor benefits. There is just so much to know and look at i don't think we se enough questions. But of course when you don't know what you don't know you think you know all you need to know

Old 02-19-2018, 01:56 PM

2,364 posts, read 4,872,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratman View Post
This has probably been addressed here before but I've spent an hour searching older threads and can't find the answer. I retired last year but have not started drawing SS, planning on waiting until FRA. DW started taking her SS benefits when she turned 62 a couple of years ago. When I start drawing my benefits at 66, can she get her benefits increased up to half of mine?
This is exactly what happened to us. I filed at 62 due to the fact I lost my job, couldn't find a new one at age 60 and ran out of unemployment. Had no choice as we were paying off a mortgage on one house while trying to sell the other one which took 2.5 years. Hubby retired last October at FRA with benefits about $2124. I went ahead and filed for spousal anyway to see what happens but got a letter saying that no I didn't qualify for any more benefits since I was already getting $888, which was more than what I would get with my lowered amount. Was told that if you file at 62 you only get about 30% of spouse benefits rather than 50%.

In 20/20 hindsight I should just have stayed home and not worked at all. Wasted a college degree in a medical field and 30 years of work for a measly $888 per month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement