U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2018, 08:07 PM

2,216 posts, read 936,094 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElDiabloJoe View Post
Can anyone give me some ideas for retirement areas that tick my boxes?

1. Four seasons;
2. Mild winter (a few snows a few inches at a time is ideal);
3. Not hot or humid summer;
4. Conservative (fiscally AND politically);
5. Reasonably priced housing;
6. Low cost of living;
7. Possible waterfront living available;
8. No weird bugs, snakes or crocs in lakes/rivers, etc.

I'm having a hard time finding places to go that might match this wish list.

Thanks!

EDJ
I would begin searching in and around the Tennessee river valley or someplace in the Smoky Mountain. There are rattlers,copperheads, and water moccasins however.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2018, 08:52 PM

8,327 posts, read 6,180,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
Love the West. Unfortunately, real estate prices are relatively very high there.
Snakes. Rattlesnakes. Scorpions and Spiders too as you get to the desert.

Old 02-19-2018, 08:56 PM

416 posts, read 202,262 times
Quote:
Can anyone give me some ideas for retirement areas that tick my boxes?

1. Four seasons;
2. Mild winter (a few snows a few inches at a time is ideal);
3. Not hot or humid summer;
4. Conservative (fiscally AND politically);
5. Reasonably priced housing;
6. Low cost of living;
7. Possible waterfront living available;
8. No weird bugs, snakes or crocs in lakes/rivers, etc.

I'm having a hard time finding places to go that might match this wish list.

Thanks!

EDJ
No humidity usually means going west. Everything else can be had in southern Oregon. More rain on the coast, less inland. 4 season, couple times light dusting of snow, hotter inland, less coastal. conservative, waterfront available, reasonable cost of housing.

If you don't mind being in the West, there are an abundant of different towns and options.

Old 02-19-2018, 08:59 PM

284 posts, read 259,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron61 View Post
I would begin searching in and around the Tennessee river valley or someplace in the Smoky Mountain. There are rattlers,copperheads, and water moccasins however.
Of the four venomous snakes in Tennessee, the two found in the east are the timber rattlesnake and the copperhead. No water moccasins in the lakes of north and East Tennessee. Come on in, the water’s fine! Just saying...

Old 02-20-2018, 05:55 AM

845 posts, read 748,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
I posted this location in another thread but it seems your criteria and mine are similar. This is Maysville KY. Low cost of living and home prices, good hospital, lots to do, on the Ohio River. Summer temps average about mid 80s and winter is not extreme but with some snow. Population is about 9000. It's cooler than TN and an hour away from Cincinnati. You can download this guide put out by the chamber of commerce. Of course there are going to be some bugs and snakes are found in every state. It tells you everything you need to know. With all that said, there will never be a paradise.
Country Living Magazine ranked it #5 of the 18 most charming towns in the U.S. and it's won several other awards for it's historical district and overall livability.

http://www.maysvillekentucky.com/fil...on%20Guide.pdf
So where was #1? I'm curious.

Old 02-20-2018, 06:13 AM

23,614 posts, read 17,598,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
Asheville would not work since OP wants conservative.
The city of Asheville is blue. Buncombe County is blue, but the balance outside the city proper is probably red. Surrounding rural counties are red, and many of these counties are going to have higher elevation than Asheville proper.

People that are not familiar with the region often think WNC is cheap. It isn't. In fact, Asheville has the priciest rental market in the entire state. While the surrounding rural counties are cheaper, they still aren't anywhere near as cheap as suburban Charlotte cities or maybe even suburban Raleigh.

Old 02-20-2018, 08:21 AM

5,792 posts, read 4,846,494 times
Quote:
These are great ideas, and exactly what I hoped for!

GeoffD, you don't mention where you are or where you speak of.
Skeddy, I'm with you - I don't want a lake I can't swim in.
V8 Vega, southern Oregon would be replacing my So Cal. Prettier, yes, but the political clime would drive me nuts.
pullin2, I'm intrigued by your Texarkana suggestions
TheShadow, I have two of my best friends in Louden right this moment looking at properties to which to retire. A third is already in Tellico. It's on the radar - but the humid summers and the crazy-a$$ bugs!

Lots of people suggesting East Tennessee (Knoxville area and further I assume) and I hear that also from people at work. I've also heard one say all three people she knew that moved there were relieved when they left.

Kentucky and the Carolinas sound like possibilities, where can I find a nice body of water yet a not-too-hot summer (where has the elevation to cap the heat)?

I'm currently in So. Cal. and walking distance to the beach. I am a 5 minute drive from world-famous Laguna Beach. I will walk away from my house with almost a mil, but I have to be able to live off whatever I do not purchase a new home with, so that's why I want affordable place to live but still interested in waterfront. Can't afford to stay here in retirement and the state's excessive fees/taxes and high welfare offerings are driving a lot of people out of this h377-hole.
I live in Tellico Village. We've been here almost 5 years. There are no crazy ass bugs. I grew up in Santa Barbara and then lived almost my whole life in the Sacramento and Sierra foothills. area. The bugs here are not even as bad as California. I don't know where people get the idea that there are bad bugs here. Do we have ticks? Yes, but no more than we had in CA. At least here we don't have the black widows that are all over California. We live less than a quarter mile from the lake and we have virtually no mosquitos. The only time I've gotten mosquito bites was when I was sitting in the grass at a park after sundown. Pretty much the same as most places I've ever lived. Even when I go out hiking I don't put on repellant unless I actually see or hear mosquitos, and I usually don't ever need to put it on.

Yes, you can swim in our lake. We do it all the time. Tellico Lake is nice and warm after May. People water ski and jet ski, fish, kayak, and just float around. A popular party in our neighborhood is the "sip and swim". We all bring pot luck dishes and float around our friends' docks while enjoying a few "adult beverages", and also we like to "raft up" with our boats tied together and just float, and swim, and relax. It does get more humid here than CA, but not as bad as the deep south. I lived 6 months in Biloxi, on the gulf coast, when I was in the USAF and that humidity was unbearable. To me Florida is the same way in the summer, flat out unbearable. Our humidity is much less and to me it's only bad in August, in the afternoon, on a particularly hot day. So if I know it's going to be hot that day, I get out and do what I have to do in the am, and it's fine. If you're in the shade, no problem. Far better than the scorching and dry temps we had in Sacramento in the summer! Or you can just get out on the lake and go swimming. Areas of the Carolina low country are much more humid than east TN, and you have to worry more about alligators and snakes there. The mountains are nice in NC, but the taxes and home prices are almost as bad as CA. You could also check out the areas around Crossville and Cookeville TN. They are on the Cumberland plateau, a couple thousand feet higher, and about 5-10 degrees cooler than the Knoxville area. There's a lot less waterfront available there though.

Last edited by TheShadow; 02-20-2018 at 08:43 AM..

Old 02-20-2018, 08:25 AM

12,026 posts, read 5,142,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countrykaren View Post
So where was #1? I'm curious.
This article has the complete list.

Maysville named to Most Charming list | Local | maysville-online.com

Old 02-20-2018, 08:42 AM

6,625 posts, read 2,388,817 times
Making my case for Ozarks area, in Missouri. ;-)

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...-79506#photo35

Lake front home, $165,000. Warsaw, MO

Old 02-20-2018, 09:01 AM

3,462 posts, read 1,540,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rruff View Post
Not everywhere.

That's right. In rural Utah, we were 3 miles from the Colorado River and all the fun of semi-white-water rafting. Spent most of our free time on the river or the banks. Our place had gorgeous scenery and was/is very affordable (and hard to sell!). ZERO humidity, moderate winters, NO bugs.

You can still get 5 acres with stunning views for $100,000....30 minutes from town with all the amenities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement