U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2018, 09:09 AM
mlb

3,194 posts, read 2,862,863 times

Advertisements

But you're in Utah.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2018, 09:24 AM

7,983 posts, read 11,673,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElDiabloJoe View Post
Can anyone give me some ideas for retirement areas that tick my boxes?

1. Four seasons;
2. Mild winter (a few snows a few inches at a time is ideal);
3. Not hot or humid summer;
4. Conservative (fiscally AND politically);
5. Reasonably priced housing;
6. Low cost of living;
7. Possible waterfront living available;
8. No weird bugs, snakes or crocs in lakes/rivers, etc.

I'm having a hard time finding places to go that might match this wish list.

Thanks!

EDJ
Cinncinnati OH
The only one on the list that doesn't fit is maybe waterfront. There is the Ohio river, probably other smaller rivers and lakes and ponds if you don't mind living outside the city

Old 02-20-2018, 09:36 AM

11,267 posts, read 11,282,861 times
Quote:
Can anyone give me some ideas for retirement areas that tick my boxes?

1. Four seasons;
2. Mild winter (a few snows a few inches at a time is ideal);
3. Not hot or humid summer;
4. Conservative (fiscally AND politically);
5. Reasonably priced housing;
6. Low cost of living;
7. Possible waterfront living available;
8. No weird bugs, snakes or crocs in lakes/rivers, etc.

I'm having a hard time finding places to go that might match this wish list.

Thanks!

EDJ
I can get you into Carmel-By-The-Sea for everything except No. 5. Hey, that's 7. Could be worse.

https://www.google.com/maps/@36.5479...7i16384!8i8192

Old 02-20-2018, 10:14 AM
mlb

3,194 posts, read 2,862,863 times
Carmel is old rich.. REALLY Rich.

Go east a bit into Carmel Valley or over the pass toward Prunedale/Salinas and you might find something a bit cheaper.

Old 02-20-2018, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Someone...anyone...can we just make this a permanent sticky? But maybe two versions, one for politically conservative leanings and the other for liberal?
No, for people who love California and can afford it, and people who love California but can't.

Old 02-20-2018, 11:14 AM

5,416 posts, read 5,117,403 times
Quote:
I'm currently in So. Cal. and walking distance to the beach. I am a 5 minute drive from world-famous Laguna Beach. I will walk away from my house with almost a mil, but I have to be able to live off whatever I do not purchase a new home with, so that's why I want affordable place to live but still interested in waterfront. Can't afford to stay here in retirement and the state's excessive fees/taxes and high welfare offerings are driving a lot of people out of this h377-hole.
Where else have you lived?

The reason I ask is because that area where you live has the mildest climate in the country and a very nice beach. Even though it is on the beach, the humidity is low. I lived a little north in Huntington Beach, and also Redondo Beach. If you are accustomed to that and really like it, I think you will have a tough time adjusting to the climate in most of the US. I know several people who moved away and had to move back. They literally had no clue how ****ty the climate would be where they moved.

I grew up in central IL, and it's pretty typical. Nice days like you are accustomed to are few and far between. And some years you'll have abysmal cold dreary winters, hot humid summers, windy rainy springs, that go on longer than you can stand.

Also, there is the variable of town size. It's very urban where you live now. Have you ever lived in a fairly isolated small town? Do you prefer lots of shopping, entertainment, and recreational opportunities? Or quiet and wide open spaces? In the east nowhere is very isolated, but in the west there are often long distances.

Personally I like small towns, lack of traffic, lack of noise, low crime, easy to get out of town, surrounded by public land and woods to explore, etc. The ocean is nice but I can live without it. Prefer the mountains actually. Like dry air and sunshine. Mild winters and summers. No mosquitoes, they eat me alive! Affordable. Only the high elevation parts of southern AZ, NM, and TX fit the bill for me.

Old 02-20-2018, 11:14 AM

3,465 posts, read 1,544,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
No, for people who love California and can afford it, and people who love California but can't.

Or those of us who spent half our life there, but can't afford it now in retirement. AARRGGH.

Old 02-20-2018, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlb View Post
But you're in Utah.

LOL. There is that. But even Utah has a couple blue-dot towns. We were in one. It does check the boxes for some.

Old 02-20-2018, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Or those of us who spent half our life there, but can't afford it now in retirement. AARRGGH.
Sand, if you currently own in SoCal why not look into a reverse mortgage? It's possible to get up to 60% of the value and no payments while you and your husband are alive. For a million dollar house that's $600,000. Now it's affordable.

Old 02-20-2018, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Sand, if you currently own in SoCal why not look into a reverse mortgage? It's possible to get up to 60% of the value and no payments while you and your husband are alive. For a million dollar house that's $600,000. Now it's affordable.

Thanks, Thrill, but that was several former lives ago. We sold in '87. OP's Laguna Beach was our favorite place to go. If I were OP, I'd stay and just leave in the most crowded season. Winters are still OK there; we rented there during our winter vacations....you can make a fortune renting if you can handle being a land-lord. It IS a sobering fact that no other climate will satisfy someone used to coastal SoCal.

I'm on a West Coast beach right now---but man, is it humid. The trade-off for being affordable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement