U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2018, 09:31 AM

5,806 posts, read 4,854,199 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
No, for people who love California and can afford it, and people who love California but can't.
What about the people who were sick of California and left? Love the weather and the scenery, but you can keep the rest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2018, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElDiabloJoe View Post
Wow, Greenville keeps coming up again and again, but so does the Knoxville area (TV in particular).

I have lived many many many years in So Cal. I did spend my high school years in a rural town in Maryland, halfway between D.C. and Gettysburg, PA. One can get used to anything as the years go by one's familiarity with the weather patterns and how to cope develops.

I spent some years in So Cal living all over. Redondo Beach, Glendale, Valencia, Torrance, Long Beach, Brea, and now the greater metropolitan statistical area of Dana Point - Laguna Beach - Newport Beach.

The weather here is UNbeatable, as is the location. However, the crowds, the ever-increasing traffic, taxes, cost of living, and population growth, combined with the ever-decreasing quality of life and decreasing quality of services has us planning on a future elsewhere.

Many of my co-workers are now settling in TV, so the inclination is to go there. Perhaps with in-floor heating and excessive spray-foam insulation, it may be a workable solution that maximizes our money for the 30-40 years we hope to live in retirement.

As for the liberal vs. conservative, my years of living in this Kommunist state have me yearning for elsewhere. Mrs. EDJ is non-caucasian, so her comfort wherever we settle is paramount. I hope you all are right about getting along, but I fear there will be a civil war between the far left and the rest of us. Hopefully it does not ever come to that.
If you have a good, new high-efficiency unit and a well insulated home, the bills are quite do-able here in TV. We keep our temps at 67 in winter and 78 in summer and our energy bill for last year was $1500. We have a high-efficiency dual-fuel HP (propane and electric) and a tankless propane water heater. Home has average insulation for the area. Knoxville is pretty well-integrated and, as a university city, is more progressive. Out here in the small towns it's much more white, but in TV Mrs EDJ will find that people are from all over the country and she will have no issues. The trick is to get involved and join New Villagers so you can meet other newcomers to make new friends.

As a left-leaner myself, I am happy to say we aren't planning to overthrow the rest of the country just yet.

Old 02-21-2018, 10:19 AM

13,973 posts, read 7,441,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
What about the people who were sick of California and left? Love the weather and the scenery, but you can keep the rest.
I'd have no problem living in California but...
- It would have to be in the right zip code
- Somebody would need to hand me $1 million so I could buy into the housing market
- I would need to have a telecommuting job where I didn't have to drive in that mayhem during rush hour

I have friends who live on a golf course above Truckee. They ski Squaw Valley. Their *cough* primary residence *cough* is down the hill in Reno. They mostly stay in Reno the night before business trip flights or to play a few rounds of golf in-between skiing. That would be fine.

La Jolla a few blocks off the beach would work. Unlike most of the rest of the state, you don't need a wetsuit. UCSD co-eds in bikinis is just fine by me.

I have a close friend with a house in San Francisco. She bought some years ago when prices were just expensive, not crazed like now. That would be fine. The property tax laws also keep it affordable forever.

Old 02-21-2018, 10:23 AM

Except the property taxes in CA are already 3 times what they are in other states. So keeping it 3 times what it ought to be is not so affordable.

My prop tax on my $450k in CA was $4800/yr. My property tax on my nearly identical home (which cost over $100k less) in TN is $1500/yr.

Old 02-21-2018, 10:38 AM

5,416 posts, read 5,118,586 times
Quote:
As for the liberal vs. conservative, my years of living in this Kommunist state have me yearning for elsewhere. Mrs. EDJ is non-caucasian, so her comfort wherever we settle is paramount. I hope you all are right about getting along, but I fear there will be a civil war between the far left and the rest of us. Hopefully it does not ever come to that.
The far left starting a civil war?! I wouldn't worry about that. Someone else is fanning the flames of this idiotic divisiveness, so they can get away with highway robbery while we are all distracted. They don't want a war either, but they do want us agitated, confused, and powerless.

When it comes to reality we all want about the same thing. Reasonable freedom, safety, respect, economic opportunity. No reason why we all can't have that and live in peace.

What race/ethnicity is Mrs. EDJ? The attitudes in small midwestern conservative towns could well make her life uncomfortable. That's an important consideration IMO.

Old 02-21-2018, 11:37 AM

4,493 posts, read 3,326,433 times
Quote:
Can anyone give me some ideas for retirement areas that tick my boxes?

1. Four seasons;
2. Mild winter (a few snows a few inches at a time is ideal);
3. Not hot or humid summer;
4. Conservative (fiscally AND politically);
5. Reasonably priced housing;
6. Low cost of living;
7. Possible waterfront living available;
8. No weird bugs, snakes or crocs in lakes/rivers, etc.

I'm having a hard time finding places to go that might match this wish list.

Thanks!

EDJ
Parts of SE Alaska hit all but 5/6. You can live affordably up here but it requires some serious lifestyle sacrifices for the average American.

Old 02-21-2018, 11:38 AM
mlb

3,196 posts, read 2,863,927 times
But then you live in Tennessee.

If my home is purchased - and it's reasonably priced - 1% is a fair price.

Old 02-21-2018, 01:31 PM

2,871 posts, read 1,013,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rruff View Post
The far left starting a civil war?! I wouldn't worry about that. Someone else is fanning the flames of this idiotic divisiveness, so they can get away with highway robbery while we are all distracted. They don't want a war either, but they do want us agitated, confused, and powerless.

When it comes to reality we all want about the same thing. Reasonable freedom, safety, respect, economic opportunity. No reason why we all can't have that and live in peace.

What race/ethnicity is Mrs. EDJ? The attitudes in small midwestern conservative towns could well make her life uncomfortable. That's an important consideration IMO.
Correct. All this BS of the far left starting a war is being perpetrated by politicians. Both sides have their nuts and being a minority myself I fear more the far right nuts than the left.

Old 02-21-2018, 01:52 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,075,044 times
In TN, Maryville is halfway between Knoxville and Tellico Lake. Conservative, not that pricey. In SC, Seneca could work as well as north or west of there (like Walhalla or Mountain Rest). In NC, the Highlands / Cashiers area is a quieter option if close to Asheville seems not quiet enough. Fairly upscale folks. In VA there is Smith Mountain Lake as previously mentioned. Massive amount of waterfront property. Conservative. Nearby Claytor Lake (southwest of Blacksburg) is prettier to me and a little higher / cooler. Deep Springs Lake in MD is another lessen known resort area.

Last edited by NW Crow; 02-21-2018 at 02:00 PM..

Old 02-21-2018, 02:05 PM

950 posts, read 540,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
I posted this location in another thread but it seems your criteria and mine are similar. This is Maysville KY. Low cost of living and home prices, good hospital, lots to do, on the Ohio River. Summer temps average about mid 80s and winter is not extreme but with some snow. Population is about 9000. It's cooler than TN and an hour away from Cincinnati. You can download this guide put out by the chamber of commerce. Of course there are going to be some bugs and snakes are found in every state. It tells you everything you need to know. With all that said, there will never be a paradise.
Country Living Magazine ranked it #5 of the 18 most charming towns in the U.S. and it's won several other awards for it's historical district and overall livability.

http://www.maysvillekentucky.com/fil...on%20Guide.pdf
This looks super duper charming, but I would be wary of the nearby power plant and its effect on the PM 2.25 in the air (and consequently, health). Also I only found two churches, (the United Methodist Church is not necessarily conservative)....seems like such a small amount. Why, in NOVA, you can drive down certain streets filled with all sorts of denominations. (Not that NOVA is idyllic).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement