U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2018, 09:50 AM

1,836 posts, read 787,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakabedy View Post
Greenville, SC. Itís the South, but has enough elevation that the summers arenít overly oppressive. Also, itís not the high desert, so there will be bugs.
Yes I lived in Greenville SC and though you do get humidity in the summer it is usually late July-early September. Four seasons, some to no snow but not far from the mountains of Asheville. Waterfront not likely but there are lakes west of Greenville that will provide waterfront living. No crocs, but there are snakes and bugs, especially the palmetto bug and the stink bug. Beautiful downtown, lots of restaurants, walking/biking. Housing is reasonable compared to many other parts of the country. You will find both Conservative and Liberal, but leans more Conservative. Taxes are pretty spread and there are some breaks for over 65. Be aware , though, South Carolina recently initiated a first time fee for new cars and new residents much like Florida has and it is costly the first year, however, the following year if your vehicle is more than a few years old the taxes and registration are pretty reasonable. There is also Asheville/Hendersonville, NC and the surrounding areas but you'll see more snow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2018, 09:55 AM

5,416 posts, read 5,111,103 times
Farmington has been booming. Oil and gas I suspect. I've only driven through, but haven't gotten a good impression. I'm not fond of Santa Fe either. Strange mix of poor and glitz, and too much traffic. I may change my mind if I spent more time in any of these places, though. I've always liked Albuquerque for some reason. Las Cruces, Alamogordo, T or C (though poor and funky), and Silver City are fine as well.

One place I really like is the east side of the mountains near Albuquerque. It's 6-7k feet elevation, pinion and juniper mostly, quiet 2-5 acre lots typically, and an easy drive to the city.

Old 02-27-2018, 09:57 AM
mlb

3,181 posts, read 2,856,933 times
Too dry and not enough green vegetation for me.

We stayed in Santa Fe around Christmas one year. I was constantly washing the clay dirt off me. Stained my clothing.

Old 02-27-2018, 10:15 AM

The east side of the mountain ranges are the greener parts. Santa Fe is on the dry side.

Old 02-27-2018, 10:16 AM

1,472 posts, read 1,994,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElDiabloJoe View Post
Can anyone give me some ideas for retirement areas that tick my boxes?

1. Four seasons;
2. Mild winter (a few snows a few inches at a time is ideal);
3. Not hot or humid summer;
4. Conservative (fiscally AND politically);
5. Reasonably priced housing;
6. Low cost of living;
7. Possible waterfront living available;
8. No weird bugs, snakes or crocs in lakes/rivers, etc.

I'm having a hard time finding places to go that might match this wish list.

Thanks!

EDJ

Ok we don't live there but have a place there. Warsaw, Mo. Only thing is Snakes there is a few Copperheads but I have been several hours in the woods there and never seen one.

brushrunner

Picture of our Big Snow. Have seen more but not often.
Attached Thumbnails
Where's my paradise?-sam_0669.jpg  

Old 02-27-2018, 06:06 PM

231 posts, read 131,797 times
Warsaw is freakin hot during the summer, according to the info on the wikipedia page!
I can feel myself burning up already, from here, and it's only February, lol!

Old 02-27-2018, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElDiabloJoe View Post
Warsaw is freakin hot during the summer, according to the info on the wikipedia page!
The dubious distinction of recording both the hottest and coldest temperatures ever in the state of MO.

"On July 14, 1954, the temperature in Warsaw rose to 118 įF (48 įC). This remains the hottest temperature ever recorded in the state of Missouri. On February 13, 1905, the temperature at Warsaw fell to -40 įF (-40 įC), the coldest temperature ever recorded in Missouri."

Old 02-27-2018, 11:18 PM

14,547 posts, read 17,549,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganGreg View Post
Nice! I too lived in apartments in Pacific Beach, Ocean Beach and Mission Beach (SD area), moved to Redondo Beach, then Manhattan Beach. Met my future wife in Laguna beach, then we settled down into a house in Torrance, before bailing from CA.

Those were great places to be young! Beach and Bar crawls, weather was perfect fantastic. Good times.
After years of living in the Valley (San Fernando for non socal natives) and the heat and crowding, and the smog as it got worse year after years, Dad had a chance to move us to the beach. We lived across the street from the power station, and you could go to the nearest street and walk there. Huntington Beach is a wildcard, calm in summer, NOT calm in winter beach. It wasn't quite as cold in the winter inland, but it was very damp all year around. Allergies were also bad. All those plants which went for your nose grew year round. And mold type problems were common. In the Valley we had a large, beautiful walnut tree, and it had walnuts every year. I was allergic to the blossoms, so it seemed better, but not for too long.

We went to the beach early in the season. The masses from inland where it was 110 filled it up early later.

I may be unusual, but I was one of those who happily said goodbye to the beach. One of the good things about where I live now, wayyyyyyyy inland, we get cold, but its dry cold. You can pile on the layers without needing to shed them now and then since its too warm now.

And while there ARE allergies, they aren't the ones I grew up with. I'm not moving again for it, way too much trouble, but for a while when you move you haven't developed the triggers for them in your new home.

No place is perfect, even the beach. One place I say no to any location is by the shore since its damp. I don't think I'll move again unless its because of some not yet known health reason or the family move in I've discussed with my son, who may end up a lot of places once he finishes up with college and his job can be his full focus. Though, I don't like the idea at all of more than one move....like he might have with the job he has now.

Time will tell.... and all plans, no matter how good, can end up crossed off before you get to them. So take joy from where you are, what you love, and all the good things about it NOW.

Old 02-28-2018, 12:18 AM

26,104 posts, read 28,506,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katyroadpink View Post
I want to feel like I ďfound my tribeĒ.
Me, too. But I've given up. I'm always the oddball no matter what. I'm too conservative for liberal areas. Too liberal/libertarian for conservative areas. Many consider me a nut because I think many conspiracies are fact, not just theory. I'm a gay man but gay men get on my nerves after a while, etc., etc.

Old 02-28-2018, 02:49 PM
Status: "Be yourself. What's the alternative?" (set 20 days ago)

8,696 posts, read 10,845,026 times
Prescott, Arizona--not sure about housing though. Green Valley outside of Tucson maybe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement