U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2018, 02:49 PM

66 posts, read 24,056 times

Advertisements

A lot of great info in this thread and also it seems some people want may be unattainable in totality... at least in one place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2018, 06:28 PM

234 posts, read 131,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longviewJoe View Post
A lot of great info in this thread and also it seems some people want may be unattainable in totality... at least in one place.
All I want is paradise and perfection, and I want it now and I want it for next to free. Not really all that much to ask for, right?

Old 03-01-2018, 07:44 PM

2,474 posts, read 863,437 times
Lake of the Ozarks, Missouri. It ticks all your boxes except the summers are a bit hot and humid.

Old 03-01-2018, 10:17 PM

6,575 posts, read 3,667,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancyf View Post
rruff you have put new mexico on our list of possible retirement spots....thank you....our grown kids love to go snowboarding and so it could become a destination for their vacations...we are going to plan a trip maybe in march....hubby hoping to do some bass fishing or golfing. We live in Oklahoma and as we age, the weather is getting too extreme but New Mexico is sounding interesting!
@Nancyf... You will love New Mexico but it is likely to be windy in March...more than any other time. Don't let that deter you but be prepared for wind.

Old 03-01-2018, 10:51 PM

6,575 posts, read 3,667,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rruff View Post
One place I really like is the east side of the mountains near Albuquerque. It's 6-7k feet elevation, pinion and juniper mostly, quiet 2-5 acre lots typically, and an easy drive to the city.

I almost bought land in the east mountains. It's very pretty and very wooded. Climate is colder with more snow so quite different from the west side (Albuquerque). Land is cheaper there but the fire danger is higher with a couple big fires in recent years. There are some nice developments. Instead, I bought a small acreage in north Rio Rancho and I love the desert...no bugs and glorious night skies.

I used to live in central Missouri before NM...close to Lake of the Ozarks. It is pleasant, sometimes crowded, occasional tornado threat, and sometimes hot and humid...but you can cool off in the lake. Winters can be cold with ice and snow. I still have a timeshare there.

Old 03-02-2018, 02:39 PM

14,242 posts, read 44,919,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
North Idaho comes close.

Except that the winters are sometimes mild and sometimes moderate; rarely severe. Keep in mind that "Reasonably priced housing" and "Possible waterfront living available" don't go together very well, pretty much anywhere. Pick one or the other. It's rare that you will find both, (along with the other parameters on your list).
The only possible exception would be if the water contained the "weird bugs, crocodiles, etc." that you said you didn't want.

Old 03-02-2018, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
The only possible exception would be if the water contained the "weird bugs, crocodiles, etc." that you said you didn't want.
Lol!! You are right about that Mitch!! I mean lake/river waterfront that is affordable relative to the Southern California, Orange County beach house I am in now. Nearly everything on earth is more affordable than that, and the taxes in Commiefornia are not getting any cheaper!

Old 03-03-2018, 06:10 AM
mlb

3,181 posts, read 2,856,933 times
It's pretty amazing....to read all this negativity about "Commiefornia".

1% property tax is pretty much in line with what we are paying here in Republican Utah.

Old 03-03-2018, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlb View Post
It's pretty amazing....to read all this negativity about "Commiefornia".

1% property tax is pretty much in line with what we are paying here in Republican Utah.
and $.66/gallon in gas tax, and $175 dollar annual registration for a 12 year old Tacoma pickup? 10% sales tax in L.A. County? An 8 to 10.5% state income tax (That's on top of what you pay the Feds), That in line with Utah also? California also charges storage tax fees on goods (Since storing them equals using them), tax on prescription medication, tax on online sales, fees (high ones!) to use local and regional parks, fees to dispose of tires, fees for districts like BART, taxes on nearly everything except grocery food products and purchases to resell (if you own a store).

Besides, that 1% property tax that's pretty much in line with your Utah is fading here. Already there are portions added to that base 1% to supplement abatement and other districts. Now Governor Brown is starting to talk about ending Prop 13 (tax rate freezes at purchase minus minor COLA adjustments) for commercial property. That slippery slope does not end until Prop 13 is gone.

Still sound like Utah?

Old 03-03-2018, 09:42 AM

2,792 posts, read 999,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElDiabloJoe View Post
and $.66/gallon in gas tax, and $175 dollar annual registration for a 12 year old Tacoma pickup? 10% sales tax in L.A. County? An 8 to 10.5% state income tax (That's on top of what you pay the Feds), That in line with Utah also? California also charges storage tax fees on goods (Since storing them equals using them), tax on prescription medication, tax on online sales, fees (high ones!) to use local and regional parks, fees to dispose of tires, fees for districts like BART, taxes on nearly everything except grocery food products and purchases to resell (if you own a store).

Besides, that 1% property tax that's pretty much in line with your Utah is fading here. Already there are portions added to that base 1% to supplement abatement and other districts. Now Governor Brown is starting to talk about ending Prop 13 (tax rate freezes at purchase minus minor COLA adjustments) for commercial property. That slippery slope does not end until Prop 13 is gone.

Still sound like Utah?
At the end of the day state govt need money and they’ll get you one way or another. Yes California is on the high end but you do get a lot of perks that you won’t get in the lower taxed states which is why even in spite of those taxes you mention there is a high population there. I do agree with you that as retired person it may be better to move but be careful because with a lower tax state there comes a lot of other issues you didn’t experience in Cali. There is no such thing as the perfect place, you will have to do trade offs on some things you like having now. Everyone is different which is good otherwise we would all be in same location.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement