U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2018, 06:53 PM

4,987 posts, read 3,480,462 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
Nothing wrong with living in Loudon...see for yourself. click on the video

https://tellicovillage.org/location/

We moved her specifically for the location.
Tennessee was 1st on my list but I have high allergies & everyone convinced me it wouldn't work. So far, I've gotten along with them much better in Arizona than I did in Minnesota. Sigh. Still plan on visiting Tennessee, although I've found i LIKE Arizona. But I want to be sure I made the right choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2018, 06:56 PM

2,570 posts, read 1,034,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
Tennessee was 1st on my list but I have high allergies & everyone convinced me it wouldn't work. So far, I've gotten along with them much better in Arizona than I did in Minnesota. Sigh. Still plan on visiting Tennessee, although I've found i LIKE Arizona. But I want to be sure I made the right choice.
We really wanted to like TN. When scouting a place to retire, we pretty much covered the whole state, and especially this area. We just liked NC better.. wanted to be closer to the mountains.

Old 03-06-2018, 06:34 AM
mlb

3,207 posts, read 2,870,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElDiabloJoe View Post
You're right, BeachSportsFan, I do pay very high taxes in California, but I do get some incredible perks for those taxes!

In case some reading have forgotten, I am not wholly unsympathetic to the plight of immigrants. Remember, both my family and Mrs. Eldiablojoe's family are minority (that means we are not white) immigrant families.

I help support nearly 2.6 million illegals, providing them with everything from schooling for their illegal (DACA) and legally-born children, English lessons, medical care, food assistance, housing assistance, and cash assistance.

Do you know how much less traffic and how much rents and housing costs would fall if the illegals were not present? Econ 101: Supply and Demand curves. Have you ever driven through Los Angeles and realized almost 40% of people you see are probably illegal (since they have yet to integrate into society in any productive manner)? Heck, even in much of Costa Mesa, Santa Ana, and Anaheim there are entire schools where the percentage of non-English speakers reaches way way up into the double-digits. I would not be surprised at 50%.

I also get to help ALL of these families give their children free breakfasts and lunches in the schools they do not pay for either, plus milk and summer foods for when they are not being fed in the soup line at school.

I also get to help over 100,000 homeless people, some of whom came here for all these great free benefits from other states, and many others of whom their lifestyle was determined by a history of poor choices (dropping out of school, using drugs, smoking, etc.)

I also get to help provide all these people with all their utility bills (and they are not big on energy conservation, by the way). Since many don't conserve, my wonderful state even provides a service of coming out and weatherizing their living quarters, all for free. Well, not free, I help pay for that too, as well as dozens of other wonderful benefit programs.

Plus there are all the non-tangibles, the extra insurance I get to pay so my insurance company can eat the losses caused by uninsured drivers and the uninsured treating hospital emergency rooms like their personal doctors. Oh, and the extra mortgage insurance I pay to help prop up others who care nothing for their credit ratings and just up and bail when things get tough instead of seeking additional work, cutting back expenses, and sacrificing extras.

My favorite benefit? Realizing on a regular basis that my peers and I are in the minority of people in that we actually wake up to an alarm clock and drag ourselves away from our families and activities for half-of nearly every day so others do not have to. We are generous spirits that way, I guess. We are so fortunate that we get so many opportunities to help out others!

Yeah, I sure get a lot for my taxes, I'm a lucky lucky guy.
I think the word we're looking for is "sanctimonious".

Old 03-06-2018, 07:34 AM

5,826 posts, read 4,868,767 times
I believe it's "sarcastic".

Old 03-06-2018, 07:34 PM

234 posts, read 134,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlb View Post
I think the word we're looking for is "sanctimonious".
HaHaHa!!! I might sound sanctimonious, mlb, but wait until you move to Nor-Cal and YOU get nickel and dimed for all of Moonbeam's crazy-a$$ crap, and YOU get to see first hand the insanity of how this state and the Bay Area are governed.

Unless you're in agreement with the politics of the Hollywood Left, in which case, Welcome!! All their great ideas and pontifications? Well, they expect YOU to pay for that all, not them. Consider yourself warned

Old 03-07-2018, 07:48 AM

70 posts, read 25,367 times
Quote:
You're right, BeachSportsFan, I do pay very high taxes in California, but I do get some incredible perks for those taxes!

In case some reading have forgotten, I am not wholly unsympathetic to the plight of immigrants. Remember, both my family and Mrs. Eldiablojoe's family are minority (that means we are not white) immigrant families.

I help support nearly 2.6 million illegals, providing them with everything from schooling for their illegal (DACA) and legally-born children, English lessons, medical care, food assistance, housing assistance, and cash assistance.

Do you know how much less traffic and how much rents and housing costs would fall if the illegals were not present? Econ 101: Supply and Demand curves. Have you ever driven through Los Angeles and realized almost 40% of people you see are probably illegal (since they have yet to integrate into society in any productive manner)? Heck, even in much of Costa Mesa, Santa Ana, and Anaheim there are entire schools where the percentage of non-English speakers reaches way way up into the double-digits. I would not be surprised at 50%.

I also get to help ALL of these families give their children free breakfasts and lunches in the schools they do not pay for either, plus milk and summer foods for when they are not being fed in the soup line at school.

I also get to help over 100,000 homeless people, some of whom came here for all these great free benefits from other states, and many others of whom their lifestyle was determined by a history of poor choices (dropping out of school, using drugs, smoking, etc.)

I also get to help provide all these people with all their utility bills (and they are not big on energy conservation, by the way). Since many don't conserve, my wonderful state even provides a service of coming out and weatherizing their living quarters, all for free. Well, not free, I help pay for that too, as well as dozens of other wonderful benefit programs.

Plus there are all the non-tangibles, the extra insurance I get to pay so my insurance company can eat the losses caused by uninsured drivers and the uninsured treating hospital emergency rooms like their personal doctors. Oh, and the extra mortgage insurance I pay to help prop up others who care nothing for their credit ratings and just up and bail when things get tough instead of seeking additional work, cutting back expenses, and sacrificing extras.

My favorite benefit? Realizing on a regular basis that my peers and I are in the minority of people in that we actually wake up to an alarm clock and drag ourselves away from our families and activities for half-of nearly every day so others do not have to. We are generous spirits that way, I guess. We are so fortunate that we get so many opportunities to help out others!

Yeah, I sure get a lot for my taxes, I'm a lucky lucky guy.
It's "facts" like yours that make for good social media memes. 40% of the people in LA are not illegal. Maybe you are exaggerating or just ignorant I don't know. It's true there are a lot of ESL students but that doesn't mean they are illegal. LA is a melting pot of people from around the world. Try embracing it or maybe you'd be better off somewhere much whiter!? Though the system isn't perfect California is still one heckuv a good place to live and I have lived other places. Plus, it's nice we successful people have the means to help the less fortunate. Try looking at the glass as half full and cut your negativity. Life is too short for negative and bitter people.

Old 03-07-2018, 09:07 AM
mlb

3,207 posts, read 2,870,082 times
Quote:
HaHaHa!!! I might sound sanctimonious, mlb, but wait until you move to Nor-Cal and YOU get nickel and dimed for all of Moonbeam's crazy-a$$ crap, and YOU get to see first hand the insanity of how this state and the Bay Area are governed.

Unless you're in agreement with the politics of the Hollywood Left, in which case, Welcome!! All their great ideas and pontifications? Well, they expect YOU to pay for that all, not them. Consider yourself warned
I lived in California when Jerry was governor the first time. Still love him.

I have family and friends who are entrenched Californians and will never leave.

I cannot wait to leave this red state hypocrisy behind.

Old 03-07-2018, 06:43 PM

234 posts, read 134,214 times
longviewJoe, thanks for distorting what I said, even though you quoted it in your very answer. I did not say 40% of L.A. residents were illegal. I said *I* looked up and realized that 40% were *probably* illegal. That is my estimation as a very long time resident of this part of the world. Clearly an opinion based on observation and experience. I was not stating a fact. I have not done the door-to-door to confirm or deny, but then tell me the last time you stood at the corner of Soto and Evergreen.

Ever spent much time in City Terrace, El Sereno, Maravilla, or Las Avenidas? I lived and worked there for many years. I'm pretty sure I can do a pretty good job picking out who is and who is not illegal. I have not had the privileged honor of living on the affluent and white west side or the Westwood area surrounding the island of UCLA, unlike you. Try living outside of the Wilshire Miracle Mile or Holmby Hills, like maybe south of the 10 or east of the 110 and then tell me what your then-more informed opinion may be. The populations are far more illegal than the passing parade of housekeepers and gardeners you see in your neighborhood everyday.

No, thank you, I would not be happier moving somewhere "whiter" as you said, because the Mrs and I are not white. Was that not clear from my post that you quoted? Did you even read it?

Thanks for making it all about race, instead of legal status. Now I know where you are coming from. You hypothesized I was ignorant. Next you're going to tell me how I'm undereducated despite my Mensa membership and graduate degree from a non-online, NCAA Div I private university. Then you're going to tell me how to vote and live my life because you know what is best for me better than I do. Very typical of the left and their holier/better than thou bias. I'm not surprised you stated your detailed and cited empirical study of the citizenship status of ESL students, you're probably in the re-education field.

mlb, you will LOVE this new and improved Kalifornia. Sounds like it is right up your alley. Maybe you can replace one of the hundreds fleeing. Better bring some friends, you can't really pay for all these social services all by your lonesome.

This was a great thread full of good information on a great forum. I appreciate you (logviewJoe) turning into a personal attack on me ("...maybe you'd be much better off somewhere whiter!"). I'm out, thanks for dragging this into the mud.

Last edited by ElDiabloJoe; 03-07-2018 at 08:12 PM..

Old 03-08-2018, 06:09 PM

7,088 posts, read 7,016,199 times
Just because a person is not legal, it doesn't necessarily mean they don't work. Many work for cash as day laborers and landscape helpers, etc.

Old 03-08-2018, 06:27 PM

2,911 posts, read 1,025,804 times
LOL. So illegals have a certain look. ��
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement