U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2018, 09:26 AM

2,810 posts, read 999,054 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElDiabloJoe View Post
Lake Keowee looks interesting. Will have to learn more about Senenca and surrounding areas. Is the lake free from snakes? I don't mind snakes on the ground (We have rattlesnakes out here), but in murky water is no bueno.

South Padre Island? Hmmm. Big party place right? What are the cons?
I have been there. Very nice but in the summer it was horrific, Iím from Florida and it was worse. We were out in a pontoon boat on the lake and there was no breeze and it was hotter than I have ever experienced. We jumped in middle of lake to cool off and it was like warm bath water. Not my cup of tea. But it was pretty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2018, 09:30 AM

4,800 posts, read 4,848,939 times
Quote:
Can anyone give me some ideas for retirement areas that tick my boxes?

1. Four seasons;
2. Mild winter (a few snows a few inches at a time is ideal);
3. Not hot or humid summer;
4. Conservative (fiscally AND politically);
5. Reasonably priced housing;
6. Low cost of living;
7. Possible waterfront living available;
8. No weird bugs, snakes or crocs in lakes/rivers, etc.

I'm having a hard time finding places to go that might match this wish list.

Thanks!

EDJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Cumberland Plateau in TN.

I agree with this and would add the Tellico plateau TN as well.

Just to help the OP with location Cumberland Plateau is the Nashville area and Tellico Plateau is Knoxville. The waterfront will be lakes and rivers. You can go as far south as Chattanooga as well but that area will be hotter and more humid but not very much more. Greenville as someone else suggested is good but it is at the top of the very humid zone meaning that it is going to have a month of very humid weather.

Old 02-18-2018, 09:40 AM

6,317 posts, read 5,058,385 times
Quote:
Lake Keowee looks interesting. Will have to learn more about Senenca and surrounding areas. Is the lake free from snakes? I don't mind snakes on the ground (We have rattlesnakes out here), but in murky water is no bueno.

South Padre Island? Hmmm. Big party place right? What are the cons?
Probably just during spring break? We usually go in July. To me, it wasn't hot at all.

Old 02-18-2018, 09:58 AM

10,604 posts, read 14,205,380 times
THAT doesn't exactly exist.

You may have the most trouble with the humidity and political requirements.

I suggest you recompile the list, prioritized and adding data. Like, WHAT % is your threshold for humidity?

Last edited by runswithscissors; 02-18-2018 at 10:12 AM..

Old 02-18-2018, 10:01 AM

Quote:

I'm currently in So. Cal. and walking distance to the beach. I am a 5 minute drive from world-famous Laguna Beach. I will walk away from my house with almost a mil, but I have to be able to live off whatever I do not purchase a new home with, so that's why I want affordable place to live but still interested in waterfront. Can't afford to stay here in retirement and the state's excessive fees/taxes and high welfare offerings are driving a lot of people out of this h377-hole.
OH and waterfront to boot?

Judging by the rate of these posts of people fleeing their home states after their politics made them unaffordable, EVERY state is going to turn purple or blue so pick any state you want. You can remove the politics from your criteria.

It'll be easier.

Old 02-18-2018, 10:01 AM

8,401 posts, read 9,145,702 times
Quote:
Can anyone give me some ideas for retirement areas that tick my boxes?

1. Four seasons;
2. Mild winter (a few snows a few inches at a time is ideal);
3. Not hot or humid summer;
4. Conservative (fiscally AND politically);
5. Reasonably priced housing;
6. Low cost of living;
7. Possible waterfront living available;
8. No weird bugs, snakes or crocs in lakes/rivers, etc.

I'm having a hard time finding places to go that might match this wish list.

Thanks!

EDJ
Except for the waterfront, I live there. And eastern CA is quite Red!

Old 02-18-2018, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
Southern Oregon, Does get hot but only a few days, houses are expensive in some towns but still cheaper than many areas. The state is liberal but only because the population of the three big cities outvotes the rest of the state.
It's not like that's irrelevant.

Old 02-18-2018, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
What I find funny is that most people put up with not living in paradise for 65 years but when they retire they expect to have it just because they aren't working anymore. The fact that I won't be working anymore is paradise in itself, never mind everything else. All that other stuff is icing on the cake.
That's not this guy.

He's only moving because his beloved home state paradise made his life unaffordable there.

Kinda like when people stop smoking because they got cancer.

Old 02-18-2018, 10:17 AM

1,603 posts, read 1,313,958 times
Default Lake Lure, NC

Quote:
These are great ideas, and exactly what I hoped for!

GeoffD, you don't mention where you are or where you speak of.
Skeddy, I'm with you - I don't want a lake I can't swim in.
V8 Vega, southern Oregon would be replacing my So Cal. Prettier, yes, but the political clime would drive me nuts.
pullin2, I'm intrigued by your Texarkana suggestions
TheShadow, I have two of my best friends in Louden right this moment looking at properties to which to retire. A third is already in Tellico. It's on the radar - but the humid summers and the crazy-a$$ bugs!

Lots of people suggesting East Tennessee (Knoxville area and further I assume) and I hear that also from people at work. I've also heard one say all three people she knew that moved there were relieved when they left.

Kentucky and the Carolinas sound like possibilities, where can I find a nice body of water yet a not-too-hot summer (where has the elevation to cap the heat)?

I'm currently in So. Cal. and walking distance to the beach. I am a 5 minute drive from world-famous Laguna Beach. I will walk away from my house with almost a mil, but I have to be able to live off whatever I do not purchase a new home with, so that's why I want affordable place to live but still interested in waterfront. Can't afford to stay here in retirement and the state's excessive fees/taxes and high welfare offerings are driving a lot of people out of this h377-hole.
You could live at a higher elevation near Lake Lure to have more moderate summer weather and fewer bugs. Possible to find reasonable housing also. We live right outside of Asheville at 3000 ft. We’ve been here for four years and Love it. Cooler in Summer. Homes are expensive but great if you can afford it.

Lake Lure area is conservative.

Last edited by funisart; 02-18-2018 at 10:18 AM.. Reason: Add

Old 02-18-2018, 11:10 AM

13,909 posts, read 7,411,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
That's not this guy.

He's only moving because his beloved home state paradise made his life unaffordable there.

Kinda like when people stop smoking because they got cancer.
Not hardly. I did the same thing. I did the math at age 50 and worked out that I couldn't possibly live in a place with expensive housing and hope to retire there. I couldn't have that much of my net worth tied up in my house and the property taxes from that expensive house would eat me alive when my income dropped. I pulled the plug then. My house is worth 1/3 what my Portsmouth NH house was worth. The property taxes are 25% of what I was paying in Portsmouth, NH. Would I rather have stayed in Portsmouth? Yep. The math didn't work. I'd need triple my age 50 net worth.

Desirable locations in the places with a good job market are all expensive. I know tons of people in metro Boston, NYC tri-state, and DC who liked where they lived but pulled the plug when they retired for the same reason I pulled the plug.

Unless you're really high net worth, everything is a compromise. I made mine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement