U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2018, 06:38 PM

5,416 posts, read 5,113,756 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElDiabloJoe View Post
My parents retired to Redding in 1994 and I've been up there several times a year for days and weeks at a time for the last 24 years. I know it pretty well, everything from Whiskeytown to Palo Cedro. It would be nearly perfect
Redding is really hot in summer and pretty cold and wet in winter. Except for the coast around the bay area and south, CA climate isn't that great IMO. I can't do smog anymore either. Where I live we get afternoon rains in the summer, and the rest of the year is pretty dry, which is the opposite of the west coast.

There is a swath of high elevation land through southern AZ, NM, and even TX (around Alpine) that has the mildest year round climate (except for coastal CA) and sunniest winters in the US. No big towns though, which is why no one knows about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2018, 06:49 PM
mlb

3,184 posts, read 2,858,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txfriend View Post
You must separate fiscal conservatives from political conservatism. Note, how many political conservatives donít have a pot to pi## in,and are heavily dependent on the government.

On the other hand, most of us social liberals are also super fiscal conservatives, far more than the conservative party, that has never been fiscally conservative.

You should consider north Texas, north Dallas area. It has some of your requirements. Rich fiscal and political conservatives and rich social liberals. Believe me when I say they have much in common. You will not be able to distinguish between them.

Northern California is conservative, and has many of the specifics you outlined.

Portions of Northern California - the greater Sacto/Auburn are - are very conservative. Back in the late 70's early 80's when I lived there the place was full of skinheads.

Old 02-18-2018, 06:59 PM

10,604 posts, read 14,211,574 times
Quote:

RunsWithScissors, I like your username. I had a friend/ally on a forum years ago with that username. I don't think you are her though, she was far more welcoming and more tolerant of new arrivals because she was bored with (to her) the same topic coming up again and again. I could afford to live here. You did see the amount of equity I'd pull out of my house, right? I just want to use less of that tied up in house, and more of it for my life's expenses for the next 30-40 years.

Of course I did. I get it. You think that's a lot of money, in an area/state where a small ranch house costs about half a mil. Right now on Trulia there are a whopping 9 homes under $500K including mobile homes.

Why the indignation?

I was quoting YOU.

Now you changed your original statement. *shrug

Quote:

I'm currently in So. Cal. and walking distance to the beach. I am a 5 minute drive from world-famous Laguna Beach. I will walk away from my house with almost a mil, but I have to be able to live off whatever I do not purchase a new home with, so that's why I want affordable place to live but still interested in waterfront. Can't afford to stay here in retirement and the state's excessive fees/taxes and high welfare offerings are driving a lot of people out of this h377-hole.
Me personally? If you're talking RETIREMENT, I'd trash that list and purchase in a well established CCRC. But I'm always in the minority on that.

Where your future expenses are relatively FIXED, even include a meal, and you get lifetime housing, utilities, healthcare from Independent, to Assisted, to Memory Care to Skilled. And you get a resort-ish lifestyle of ammenities. AND in some you can "vacation" around in other properties.

Because even if you invested that whole $1 Million and followed the 4% rule- YOU said 30-40 years - assuming annual 2% inflation - you'd be lucky to get a monthly draw of around 3500 or so/$40,000 per year which will NEVER pay for all of that. Especially based on your criteria.

Now if you want to wing-it, like many people do, and just go the taxpayer funded Medicaid route, then it's not an issue.

So you could just stay in California. Or do the RV thing - which would be fun.

But your topic isn't retirement expenses but the geographical challenge of finding California life in a different [cheap] state... so that's my two cents.

PS. That wasn't ME who commented that the topic is repetitious. That was another member. Use the search function to read all the many prior threads exactly like yours.

Here's just two from your CA compatriots I happen to still be subscribed to on my profile LOL

I cant figure out where to retire, how did you?

Best Retirement State on A Budget - Lowest Cost of Living?

Last edited by runswithscissors; 02-18-2018 at 07:08 PM..

Old 02-18-2018, 07:13 PM

234 posts, read 132,283 times
Yes, Runs With Scissors. You are technically correct. I should have been more clear. I can afford to stay in So Cal, I just cannot afford to stay in my beach house. I can afford other areas, but I wish for something that will allow my money to go further for longer.

The misunderstanding is my fault, I should have been clearer and more specific.

Old 02-18-2018, 07:55 PM

201 posts, read 387,632 times
Lots of places in the Pacific NW come to mind although Eastern WA and Eastern OR get pretty hot in summer. The western sides of those states are cooler, but rainy in winter plus more progressive politics. I haven't been there in years but might want to check out Prescott, AZ. Not too cold in winter or hot in summer. Supposedly becoming pretty popular with retirees.

Last edited by SeattleCat; 02-18-2018 at 08:00 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 02-18-2018, 08:08 PM

10,604 posts, read 14,211,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
USA... very limited.

~ Northern Smokies (Greenville, SC - NE TN / NW NC)

PNW east of Cascades (more conservative region, but OR, WA, NoCA state vote will never be conservative (unless in ID))

Out of USA, many more options. (maybe including affordable Health Care!)

regions in NZ, AU, South America, Europe (Mediterranean)

Keep a lessor property in CA (and your prop 13, if at all possible). Many of my co-workers did that and were VERY pleased to get back to CA for retirement.
Well, if he completely ignores the cost of living and immigration laws, in NZ & AU for starters... maybe. And no, not healthcare.

NZ - The temporary retirement category for investors offers a two-year visa to anyone aged over 66 who is willing to invest NZ$750,000 in New Zealand for two years and has NZ$500,000 in funds to live on and an income of at least NZ$60,000 a year.

AU - In terms of the amount of money an applicant will need, it is quite substantial. A second visa application charge of AUD 8,000 per person is made, then an individual or couple have to prove they have assets available for transfer to Australia to the net value of AUD 500,000 if settling in a regional area, or AUD 750,000 if settling in a non-regional area. On top of this the applicant/s must have annual income based on capital for investment, pension rights or both pension rights and capital for investment of at least AUD 50,000 if settling in a regional area or AUD 65,000 if settling in a non-regional area Ė and they need to be able to set aside an investment in a government treasury bond with the sponsoring State/Territory government of AUD 500,000 if settling in a regional area or AUD 750,000 if settling in a non-regional area.

Whoops.

Mexico is more his speed for expat options, imo.

Old 02-18-2018, 08:23 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,612 posts, read 39,986,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
Well, if he completely ignores the cost of living and immigration laws, in NZ & AU for starters... maybe. And no, not healthcare.

Whoops.

Mexico is more his speed for expat options, imo.
OP is not short on the dough required to emigrate from USA to Oceania, but, yes... other expenses will arise (but decent climate in many spots there. (As well as MX))

8. No weird bugs, snakes or crocs in lakes/rivers, etc.
SE AZ is another 'brown' option in USA (not terribly hot, but BUGS and snakes...)

As has my TX location. LOTS of bugs and snakes!

NoCA is a good option

Old 02-18-2018, 08:35 PM
Status: "could've~would've~should've used 'have', not 'of'" (set 22 days ago)

10,507 posts, read 14,335,765 times
Quote:
TheShadow, I have two of my best friends in Louden right this moment looking at properties to which to retire. A third is already in Tellico. It's on the radar - but the humid summers and the crazy-a$$ bugs!
Really trying to picture some big ol' bugs, all I usually encounter are spiders, stinkbugs, lady bugs and a very occasional centipede. I thought those were pretty common everywhere except dry areas of the west?
Quote:
Lots of people suggesting East Tennessee (Knoxville area and further I assume) and I hear that also from people at work. I've also heard one say all three people she knew that moved there were relieved when they left.
Probably mutual.
People suggest east TN and/or the plateaus for the higher elevations and somewhat lower humidity, for the same reasons people often suggest Asheville and the NC mountains. You could pick nearly any mountain city in the southern Appalachians for the weather and see if any meet your other criteria. I'm partial to TN myself.

Old 02-18-2018, 08:36 PM

8,047 posts, read 5,899,423 times
North Carolina works for me. East End mountains of Tennessee has been touted due to no income tax.

Old 02-18-2018, 08:42 PM

1,293 posts, read 949,418 times
Quote:
Can anyone give me some ideas for retirement areas that tick my boxes?

1. Four seasons;
2. Mild winter (a few snows a few inches at a time is ideal);
3. Not hot or humid summer;
4. Conservative (fiscally AND politically);
5. Reasonably priced housing;
6. Low cost of living;
7. Possible waterfront living available;
8. No weird bugs, snakes or crocs in lakes/rivers, etc.
9. Population over 1 million (possibly takes care of "8").

Anything for me, too?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement