Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2018, 01:00 PM

5,667 posts, read 6,590,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Or those of us who spent half our life there, but can't afford it now in retirement. AARRGGH.
The only part of CA that has a really nice climate is the southern coast. Inland you get smog and lots of summer heat, or lots of winter rain and snow at higher elevations. Farther north the coast is pretty deary and foggy and wet for most of the year, though temperatures are mild.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2018, 02:41 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,366,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach Sportsfan View Post
No such place exists for liberals nor conservatives.

But I would like to see one where both could live together.
Haha! Not going to happen these days, especially among older folks.

Old 02-20-2018, 03:34 PM

5,667 posts, read 6,590,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
Haha! Not going to happen these days, especially among older folks.
Really? It seems more a figment of the media rather than reality. The stereotypical caricatures of "left" vs "right" are both pretty silly.

Seems like most people with half a brain belong to neither camp. I don't really care about the politics of people around me, so long as they leave me alone.

Old 02-20-2018, 03:40 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,745,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakabedy View Post
Greenville, SC. It’s the South, but has enough elevation that the summers aren’t overly oppressive. Also, it’s not the high desert, so there will be bugs.

I was going to suggest Greenville too! We do have humidity in the summer but everything else the OP requires is right here!

I actually live in Easley.

Old 02-20-2018, 04:02 PM

3,930 posts, read 2,096,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rruff View Post
Really? It seems more a figment of the media rather than reality. The stereotypical caricatures of "left" vs "right" are both pretty silly.

Seems like most people with half a brain belong to neither camp. I don't really care about the politics of people around me, so long as they leave me alone.
Exactly. I hate when people from either side automatically think that because someone is labeled liberal or conservative you can’t have nothing in common and must disagree with them completely. If we stopped using those labels as badges or put downs as our political leaders want us to we might learn that we can live together and agree on some levels and respect our differences.

I still hope we can get there.

Old 02-20-2018, 06:47 PM

6,627 posts, read 4,287,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
I was going to suggest Greenville too! We do have humidity in the summer but everything else the OP requires is right here!

I actually live in Easley.
There are lakes near Greenville, but not in Greenville (to my knowledge).

Old 02-20-2018, 08:58 PM

585 posts, read 633,949 times
Wow, Greenville keeps coming up again and again, but so does the Knoxville area (TV in particular).

I have lived many many many years in So Cal. I did spend my high school years in a rural town in Maryland, halfway between D.C. and Gettysburg, PA. One can get used to anything as the years go by one's familiarity with the weather patterns and how to cope develops.

I spent some years in So Cal living all over. Redondo Beach, Glendale, Valencia, Torrance, Long Beach, Brea, and now the greater metropolitan statistical area of Dana Point - Laguna Beach - Newport Beach.

The weather here is UNbeatable, as is the location. However, the crowds, the ever-increasing traffic, taxes, cost of living, and population growth, combined with the ever-decreasing quality of life and decreasing quality of services has us planning on a future elsewhere.

Many of my co-workers are now settling in TV, so the inclination is to go there. Perhaps with in-floor heating and excessive spray-foam insulation, it may be a workable solution that maximizes our money for the 30-40 years we hope to live in retirement.

As for the liberal vs. conservative, my years of living in this Kommunist state have me yearning for elsewhere. Mrs. EDJ is non-caucasian, so her comfort wherever we settle is paramount. I hope you all are right about getting along, but I fear there will be a civil war between the far left and the rest of us. Hopefully it does not ever come to that.

Old 02-20-2018, 09:22 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,366,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach Sportsfan View Post
Exactly. I hate when people from either side automatically think that because someone is labeled liberal or conservative you can’t have nothing in common and must disagree with them completely. If we stopped using those labels as badges or put downs as our political leaders want us to we might learn that we can live together and agree on some levels and respect our differences.

I still hope we can get there.
I so wish you were correct, but sadly where we live, it is not even possible to discuss differences. We are in the minority politically, and so I don't say a word about politics since the election. I do miss being able to talk about what is going on in the world, but know it would lead to disagreements and loss of friends.

Old 02-21-2018, 12:02 AM

3,211 posts, read 2,240,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElDiabloJoe View Post
Wow, Greenville keeps coming up again and again, but so does the Knoxville area (TV in particular).

I have lived many many many years in So Cal. I did spend my high school years in a rural town in Maryland, halfway between D.C. and Gettysburg, PA. One can get used to anything as the years go by one's familiarity with the weather patterns and how to cope develops.

I spent some years in So Cal living all over. Redondo Beach, Glendale, Valencia, Torrance, Long Beach, Brea, and now the greater metropolitan statistical area of Dana Point - Laguna Beach - Newport Beach.

The weather here is UNbeatable, as is the location. However, the crowds, the ever-increasing traffic, taxes, cost of living, and population growth, combined with the ever-decreasing quality of life and decreasing quality of services has us planning on a future elsewhere.

Many of my co-workers are now settling in TV, so the inclination is to go there. Perhaps with in-floor heating and excessive spray-foam insulation, it may be a workable solution that maximizes our money for the 30-40 years we hope to live in retirement.

As for the liberal vs. conservative, my years of living in this Kommunist state have me yearning for elsewhere. Mrs. EDJ is non-caucasian, so her comfort wherever we settle is paramount. I hope you all are right about getting along, but I fear there will be a civil war between the far left and the rest of us. Hopefully it does not ever come to that.
I lived in Greenville a couple years and loved it and I think it would meet your criteria. I also don't think your wife would have an issue unless she needs to be around a large population of her culture.

Knoxville also very nice and has the benefit of a large university. You definitely do start getting a bit of winter chill in Knoxville compared to Greenville.

One possible factor is that South Carolina has a state income tax while Tennessee does not so if you're high income, that will cost you in South Carolina.

Old 02-21-2018, 07:20 AM

1,589 posts, read 1,188,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElDiabloJoe View Post

Nice! I too lived in apartments in Pacific Beach, Ocean Beach and Mission Beach (SD area), moved to Redondo Beach, then Manhattan Beach. Met my future wife in Laguna beach, then we settled down into a house in Torrance, before bailing from CA.

Those were great places to be young! Beach and Bar crawls, weather was perfect fantastic. Good times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement