U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2018, 12:53 AM

107 posts, read 57,141 times

Advertisements

thank you all.
if I take my own earned (reduced) ss benefit of $595 at 62
My husband will file for his own delayed benefit (4 mo. later) at 70 getting about $1620. His FRA benefit is $1310
Again, I will have already filed at 62m and be getting $495 mo. Can I get half of his benefit of $655 at my FRA?
If they deem me filing for spousal benefit off his record in conjunction WHEN HE FILES for his own earned benefit, nothing changes
thank you

Last edited by BushyEyeBrows; 02-18-2018 at 02:21 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2018, 02:43 AM

71,593 posts, read 71,751,865 times
No you can not get half . Your reduction follows you forever taking ss early.

You will always get your own reduced benefit for filing early as a base.

If you were at least fra when he filed and spousal started ,they take 1/2 his fra benefit and subtract your full benefit regardless of when you actually filed and add that difference to your early benefit .

That amount will always be less than half.

But since your spousal will start before your fra the spousal is reduced too .there is a calculator on the ss website for figuring it. It is a bit more complex calculation so use the calculator.

So it will actually be reduced quite a bit since both your benefit was reduced for taking it pre fra and the spousal is reduced for taking it pre fra .

Old 02-18-2018, 04:53 AM

As a rule spousal falls under three situations

You both file at fra , you both file early or one files at fra and the other early .

Both filing at fra is easy . If 1/2 the higher full benefit is higher than the full fra amount of the lower than you get the higher benefit which is half that higher fra benefit.

In the next situation ,If say the husband files at fra but the wife files at 62 then the wife will never see half.
She gets her own early benefit forever . If 1/2 THE HUSBANDS FULL BENEFIT IS LARGER THAN THE WIFES FULL !THE WIFES FULL BENEFIT IS SUBTRACTED OUT AND THE DIFFERENCE ADDED TO THE EARLY BENEFIT

Every thing is calculated off fra amounts even though one may be delaying to 70 and the other files at 62.

The 3rd situation is both file early . In that case there is a very complex formula where both are reduced. There is a calculater that will figure it out on the ss website as well as a chart that shows how to calculate it
yourself.

As an example if both filed at 62 and their fra is 66 the husbands full benefit is reduced by 25% and the wife gets the husbands full benefit less 30% .

That changes with various ages so it is best to use the calculator .

This is why this comes up over and over . It is so confusing. Survivor benefits have their own formulas that are different depending on ages as well

Last edited by mathjak107; 02-18-2018 at 05:08 AM..

Old 02-18-2018, 01:08 PM

thank you for your guidance mathjack!

Though his family has longevity in their favor, his particular health issues usually do not mean a longer life. He has 7 years on me already. My guess is waiting until age 64-65 is best but will do calculations w/ FRA also.

Old 02-18-2018, 03:17 PM

3,007 posts, read 2,172,300 times
Also remember that the spousal benefit will be based on his FRA benefit not his 70 year old benefit with the extra credits.
That amount with the extra credits only applies to survivor benefits.

Old 02-18-2018, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arwenmark View Post
Also remember that the spousal benefit will be based on his FRA benefit not his 70 year old benefit with the extra credits.
That amount with the extra credits only applies to survivor benefits.
yes I understand that part.

What is needed is to start over to see if I can extend the date of applying. He is older, not very healthy so when I did the math, it appeared there would be more monetary gain by filing early. As I expected him not to live over 80 and I take over his survivor benefits of about $1600 per mo

I am terrified to be living alone, old, which is probably inevitable due to our age difference and his health issues. Women live on average 7 years longer than men so add 7.5 years and we have a 15 year gap which with his health issues, will probably remain.

If someone could memorize this stuff and ONLY consult upon Social Security, they'd be doing quite well!
A subtle hint for mathjack if he wants a side business lol

Old 02-19-2018, 02:42 AM

Between my photography,my drummiing and the 1 day a week i have a real job i have emough side jobs ha ha ha. Ss is so comaplex i only know the parts i know

Old 02-19-2018, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Between my photography,my drummiing and the 1 day a week i have a real job i have emough side jobs ha ha ha. Ss is so comaplex i only know the parts i know
Glad you are good at doing what you prefer

It's very plausible that "what you know" may be far more than what the vast majority of Social Security Workers know. Best of luck to you. Thanks for your time in helping out all of the people here on the forum

Old 02-20-2018, 05:21 AM

4,800 posts, read 4,848,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Ha Ha Ha your so called real job once a week is to just get out and socialize at the office. Don't try to pull the wool over our eyes. We know that Mrs. Mathjak needs her space once a week too.

Old 02-20-2018, 05:58 AM

please ! she offered to pay them to keep me an extra day or two. if i am home i drive her nuts with my drumming .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or