U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2018, 02:46 PM

10,135 posts, read 12,392,750 times

Advertisements

Purchased a condo in Ohio where our eventual retirement home will be.

I am still working in south Georgia and would estimate I spend 70% of my time living here. I do have residence and post office box in south Georgia.

My wife is fully retired playing grandma so she spends 75% of her time in Ohio and what we do is both fly back and forth so we are together for much of the time.

Of course I will pay federal and state taxes on our total income, our SS will be taxed due to earnings, but if I understand it correctly I would pay Georgia's income tax and not Ohio because more than 50% of my time is spent here.

Also, Ohio cities love their little city income taxes and I don't want to pay that.

Am I correct on the 50% thing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2018, 02:48 PM

71,700 posts, read 71,829,507 times
you are considered a full time resident if you are there more than 50%. However some states have agreements if it is earned income . You pay taxes sometimes to the state you earned your income to.

Live in pa and work in ny you pay taxes to ny first. Live in pa and work in maryland you pay taxes to pa first

Old 02-19-2018, 07:05 AM

4,370 posts, read 3,706,500 times
I do not know the rules for Ohio and GA but in general

IF you were single I would pay taxes in GA assuming you work in GA and "Vacation" in Ohio.

Since your wife is a resident of Ohio she would pay taxes to Ohio on her income.

Their could be state rules that say if you file a joint Federal return you have to file a joint state return.

Your facts seem simple but the problem is complex and I am interested in seeing the answer

Old 02-20-2018, 06:49 PM

10,135 posts, read 12,392,750 times
How about couples that live in an RV and travel about the country?

Old 02-20-2018, 06:58 PM

5,238 posts, read 8,413,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
How about couples that live in an RV and travel about the country?
They establish "residency" in one of the States that cater to RVers. (and don't have a State income tax)

This webpage goes into the details involved:
https://rvshare.com/blog/state-residency/

"There are three states that are very popular amongst full-time RVers because they offer substantial savings when you choose to establish your residency within them. Those states are Florida, Texas, and South Dakota."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or