Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2018, 01:23 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,040,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
Freedom includes the ability to make choices that others consider to be poor or choices that leave the individual in a bad place.

I think most of us would agree that society needs to at least prevent people from starving in the streets. Beyond that most of us do want to avoid bailing out people under most circumstances. Most of these concerns about other people's choices have little to do with reality. The vast majority of people who find themselves in dire straits got that way through health issues or accidents that have nothing to do with poor choices.
My friend I am becoming increasingly convinced many as in many don't care. Especially when they don't see themselves as being vulnerable and feel that if allowed to keep the money they make they will be even more secure and less vulnerable. Homelessness is in some areas epidemic and the response? Same with Opioids and health care etc etc. People are already dying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2018, 02:36 PM

1,532 posts, read 1,061,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
I guess it could. Interesting link. I paid spousal support/alimony when I divorced my husband. In my own case, the ability to deduct it was and would have been irrelevant to my decision to divorce him, although I do take advantage of legal deductions if they exist. Similarly, the ability or inability to deduct mortgage interest on a personal residence would not affect my buying a house. But everyone’s circumstances are different.

Last edited by Gusano; 03-03-2018 at 02:45 PM..

Old 03-03-2018, 02:41 PM

Location: Born in L.A. - NYC is Second Home - Rustbelt is Home Base
1,607 posts, read 1,085,674 times
OP,sure, lots of people are near homeless now and looking for a place to live

I'd advise to go to Thailand or downsize to a tiny house or move to 2 bedroom condo and make 1 bedroom the office.

Good luck!

Old 03-04-2018, 11:52 AM

2,841 posts, read 3,198,705 times
Trying to return to an earlier state imagining that it was somehow better, usually doesn't work because society has moved on.

Old 03-04-2018, 01:20 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,040,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker2 View Post
Trying to return to an earlier state imagining that it was somehow better, usually doesn't work because society has moved on.
Things often go full circle. Especially when it turns out things weren't really moving forward but falling apart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement