Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2018, 11:13 AM

9,399 posts, read 11,147,212 times

Advertisements

Give them some movie star's Hollywood address and say drop in any time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2018, 11:14 AM

10,888 posts, read 7,370,074 times
Some people are just like that. Nobody has threatened to move in with us yet, but our nephew borrowed money and hasn't made any effort to repay. He seems to think we owe it to him in some way.

Thailand sounds like fun for a month or two. CC&Rs sound like a a good way to back up your "no".

Aside from that, a plain "no" is the strongest position. If you give reasons (house isn't big enough/my dog is allergic to you/I like my privacy), they become points of negotiation.

Old 02-19-2018, 11:43 AM

9,399 posts, read 11,147,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
Some people are just like that. Nobody has threatened to move in with us yet, but our nephew borrowed money and hasn't made any effort to repay. He seems to think we owe it to him in some way.

Thailand sounds like fun for a month or two. CC&Rs sound like a a good way to back up your "no".

Aside from that, a plain "no" is the strongest position. If you give reasons (house isn't big enough/my dog is allergic to you/I like my privacy), they become points of negotiation.
Send nephew a bill and include interest payments if paid more than 30 days from day of mailing.

No more loans.

Old 02-19-2018, 11:48 AM

15,637 posts, read 26,242,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post
That is the most accurate assessment of the opinions expressed. We have not allowed ourselves to become doormats. We are tired of the continually expressed opinion that somehow 'we owe them' because we haven't squandered all our opportunities.

Two stories come to mind:
  • The Parable of the Talents in the Bible
  • The children's story of The Little Red Hen.

I see The Little Red Hen as the most appropriate for this situation. We have already decided we will be the Little Red Hen and her Rooster!

So apparently Ourselves, Lodestar, and a couple of Lodestar's friends are the only ones who have to endure this. Or a lot of others are simply keeping their fingers off their keyboards. I am guessing the second sentence is the most accurate.
In my family, not at all. Hasn’t happened, can only imagine it would under very extenuating circumstances. And given my relationship with my sisters, they would be welcome with open arms.

Ex friends? Oh yeah. The idea is they spend their money, and then find friends and relatives to finance their lifestyles.

I caught on at less than a grand, but others lost far more. And yes, I heard often this would be a great kids room, and it’s not like you use your dining room.

I also see it on the boards here. There’s an entitlement attitude I see over money. The ones who don’t have money expect “the rich” to finance everything for them. But what’s rich? Anyone who knows anything about money a million isn’t that much any more. But some people think if you have two dimes, you are rich and you should give them one.

And I see it in our parcel taxes. As our area becomes increasingly rentals, the schools and lighting districts and other public entities use parcel taxes on each property for money. They put their issues on the ballot, and because it says parcel tax, the renters vote for it, because they don’t pay it. Then they wonder why rents go up.

I’m not saying there isn’t a huge wage disparity issue, there is. But there is also an entitlement issue. Maybe the two go hand in hand. Along with a lot of anger.

Old 02-19-2018, 12:13 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,841,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lancers View Post
Jeez. Tell 'em to take a long walk off a short pier.
This.

Don't allow it...

Old 02-19-2018, 12:23 PM

997 posts, read 709,774 times
Somehow you have given your wive's relatives the impression that you are rich; and will therefore take care of them. Why would they assume its OK? You mention they are constantly using her and it sounds like you and your wife are letting them.

You know its not normal and its ridiculous for more than one sibling to expect such treatment. You know what to do, you can squash this right now.

Last edited by BabyJuly; 02-19-2018 at 12:24 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 02-19-2018, 12:42 PM

535 posts, read 343,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post
More than one of my wife's siblings has indicated they want/expect to move in with my wife and I as we approach and enter retirement. They will all be entering retirement dead broke. My wife's response is that she wants to move to Thailand and volunteer in an Elephant Rescue to get away from her family, their constant using of her and emotional toil they dump on her (us). I reminded my wife that she does not like Thai food, but she said she didn't care about that.

Anyone else have this or similar situation? We can't be the only ones faced with a duty to self and duty to dysfunctional 'family' dilemma.

We live three hours away but fear that isn't far enough. I countered Thailand with a Red Deer preserve in New Zealand.
I understand, as my brother and his wife "fell" on hard times and hinted to do the same. I told them that was NOT possible. The reasons?

They are spenders. They borrowed heavily on their home when I and others advised them NOT to. They put in a new kitchen, paid fully for a fence, and then added on a loft for their dogs when they already had a three bedroom house. I told them not to borrow from the equity of their home, because they could eventually lose their home. They rarely saw a new car that they didn't like. My bother loves anything electronic and buys computers, appliances, phones, games, etc. All has to be the newest thing on the market. She loves household goods. They also like to eat out.

They are such kind people, so it is hard. My mother warned me close to her death not to help them. She said that she had helped them many times because they claimed it was an "emergency." Their dog was sick, their mortgage needed to be paid. She said that it did NO good and had NO affect on their spending habits.

Eventually, my SIL lost her job due to "stress." The company eventually fired her. Without her added income, they could not meet the financial obligations of the mortgage and equity loans. They lost their house and blamed all of us siblings for not helping them in their time of need. They had to rent a house. Soon, that house was too expensive, so they moved to a cheaper city within our state. To their credit, they are working hard on their own.

I hope that they make it. IF they came to me for food, I would give them a bag of it. That is it. I need my money to support us, who are retired and in declining health. I just had my 6TH surgery....

If I were you, moving is NOT the option. I would stay, but tell them they are on their own. Give them information about SS, and other government agencies. Maybe they can qualify for government housing that is cheap. Don't let them through the door. Once you let them in, they become "tenants," even though they don't pay rent. You may have to evict them, and that gets nasty and expensive, especially when you need a lawyer. Your wife though, sounds like she wants them to move in. If so, you have a different problem. You may have to make decisions about your marriage and your life.

Good luck. "Do not believe what people say, believe what they do." If she allows them to move in, this is what she wants to happen.

Old 02-19-2018, 12:59 PM

10,888 posts, read 7,370,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post
Send nephew a bill and include interest payments if paid more than 30 days from day of mailing.

No more loans.
Hubby doesn't want to dun him for the money.
Yeah, no more loans, plus that piece of heirloom jewelry is NOT going to his wife after all!

Old 02-19-2018, 01:54 PM

17,534 posts, read 13,324,825 times
No way in Hell.

My savings is for MrsM and me.

Even our kids know that if there is money left after we die it's theirs to split.

Although, our desire is to die the day our savings run out. If that happens, we gave them a good education

Old 02-19-2018, 02:10 PM

5,574 posts, read 6,498,880 times
There is ALWAYS "more to the story" of someone's financial plight. See Post #57. They just don't share with friends and relatives, or ask for advice from those they see doing well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement